hydraulic steering

If you're running over 150 hp, go for the power steering assist on the SeaStar hydraulic steering. 

If you're running 150 hp and towing skiers or tubers in tight turns and corners, invest in the power steering assist.

If you've got 90 hp or 115 hp, just go for the SeaStar hydraulic steering.

If you're running a larger Mercury outboard, check into using their internal power steering system.  It's much less expensive than SeaStar with a $3K power steering assist.

But since we're straight line, medium speed cruisers, I'm okay with just my SeaStar steering.

Andrew - Thanks for quantifying it. That helps a lot. I have a 150 with cable steering. I didn't notice any difference when upgrading from a 115.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well said Andrew, quantifying it with numbers made it click for me

Andrew - Thanks for quantifying it. That helps a lot. I have a 150 with cable steering. I didn't notice any difference when upgrading from a 115.
What I meant to say was steering either motor was pretty difficult when pulling tubes with the cable steering.  I do a lot of "S" curves when pulling tubes, and it's definately a "two hand" job.  There are times where I wonder if the stress will crack the fiberglass helm (it creaks a lot).

I didn't notice any increased difficulty when I upgraded to the 150, but the 150 doesn't run nearly as hard as the 115 did when tubing.  The 115 was full throttle the whole time when tubing. That's probably why it was just as hard to steer as the 150 because the 150 didn't have to work as hard.

Back