Is marina fuel worth the extra cost?

At $4.40, that's a bargain.

Our Valvtect premium (ethanol free) was $5.52 yesterday at the marina  :(

main thing is Yamaha says use and Yamaha warranties it. If there is any truth to the damage by the time that happens you would have saved enough money to buy a new motor(personally it is political bull to suck more money out of the gullable public) Open your eyes to our government liars and what makes you think the gas situation isn't on top of the heap. I have one boat that has over 1200 hours on ethanol and runs like a champ and other than annual maintenance haven't spent a dime for anything else. Once Obama is gone we can start using our boats again in way we would like to. Sorry about the politics guys but I'm mad as hell and can't take it anymore.

I use my boat the way I want regardless who is in office. Good old Energy Policy act of 2005. Introduced at HR6 by Texas Republican  Congressman Joe Barton and signed into law by George Bush. I can totally see your point...being mad as hell at Obama.

Let's keep the politics out of this conversation please, gentlemen.

The mods appreciate your cooperation.

I agree with Randy. I have my opinions about Washington and post them in appropriate forums, not this one. I've seen a forum get destroyed by politics and I really like this one.

all a matter of affordability......his expense per hour might be insignificant to his enjoyment and pocket book. over 5 gals an hour for me makes me a little nervous but will not kill the enjoyment factor. I love boating it  still remains very high on the priority list of discretionary expenses.

I dido that. I've boated for over 60 years and I still enjoy the ride. The expense is secondary to the enjoyment. I've owned sail boats, and power boats up to 34' Talk about gas expense. Since 1957 I've been on the water with some type of floating craft. Now at 78 I still look forward to the next coming season so that I can do what I like. If you worry about the cost of running a boat get rid of it. Remember, "a boat is a hole in the water into which one pours money."

I haven't yet figured how many gals per hour.  18 foot Benny with 60 HP Yamaha.  Any guesses?  I think it does take about 4 ounces of Scotch per Hour.

of course abypfcs, it depends on the octane of the scotch

I tried something different this year ('14 f150 motor...yamaha says ok to run up to 10% ethanol) with our new boat and ran only a couple tanks of gas from the fuel docks (ethanol free gas) the rest of the summer I ran shell 87 octane brought from the station here at home (60 miles from the lake).  I did use stabil marine formula in every can of gas I brought from home and never had a problem with water from the ethanol over the summer....rarely did fuel last more than a week in the tank anyway.  We put 138 hours on the boat so that was many 5 gallon cans of gas brought from home and when I pulled the fuel/water separator filter this fall the fuel I dumped out was clean as a whistle with NO water or debris (a few very very small dirt particles only).

So with those results I feel that gas from the fuel docks isn't any better than the fuel I get from home to run in the boat.  I always use our local shell station and add the marine stabil to every tank.....granted the stabil is 20 a quart at amazon but it treats over 300 gallons...still well worth the extra effort to save some cash on fuel.

I've got 2 - 5 gallon cans and that 10 gallons normally lasts us a weekend but on the off weekends when we were getting low I bit the bullet and got some at the fuel dock.

Your mileage may vary and I'm sure people believe in only getting fuel at the docks.  

I will not put corn in mine . 

Check your gas lines in a year. They corrode from the inside out. Then it breaks off and gets into your filter. Some particles can get through into your injectors. IT'S NOT A PRETTY SIGHT. I've been through some of it. The guy that ran the motor before me used street gas. I.ve seen what it does to the lines

My Mercury manual basically says you can use ethanol, but strongly recommends against it.

That's code for "you are screwed when the warranty runs out".

My Mercury manual basically says you can use ethanol, but strongly recommends against it.

That's code for "you are screwed when the warranty runs out".
That is another reason I got the Platinum warranty . Even though I wont use corn in it ( at least knowingly ) .I have peace of mind for 7 years ,and I know I will get P.A.D.S. again before then  :eek:

I took delivery of my boat in September.  This is our first boat and I filled the initial tank with 10% ethanol.  Since then I learned that I can get ethanol free gas from a local gas station for 30 cents more per gallon than the 10% ethanol gas which is much cheaper than the gas at the marina.  I only burned about 1/2 tank before storing the boat for the winter so I added the stabil to the tank and once the remaining fuel is burned off in the spring, I plan on going to 100% real gas from that point on.  The mechanic at my dealership highly recommended this so I will be following his advise. 

Agreed, it takes a little more effort because it is sooo much easier to pull my boat into a marina and have them fill it rather than me lugging 5-gallon cans of ethanol free but I only use corn free in my Benny, lawn tractor & snow blower

Street gas???? do you think they mfg BOAT gas??? what a joke, gas is gas. you can buy regular today without any ethanol.or high test if you so desire.. it still will cost you 40% less in a STREET gas station rather than a marina. If I have to dump 40% more for the luxury of pulling into a marina and pumping the $3.00 street gas at $4.50 a gallon I would much rather use that money for a couple of porterhouse steaks and a lobster tail on the Barbie. Seems no matter how low STREET gas goes the marina gougers hold their inflated gas prices and I for one will not give into their highway, oops, high seas robbery.we are fortunate to have pontoon boats. You guys who trailer are the most fortunate. I have my boat on a lift and have to bring gas to it and those poor guys with big conventional hulled boats in marinas are really captive gas prisoners. .Boating is great we all love it do what makes you happy, that's the key to enjoying your boat.

by the way $3.00 was for ethanol free regular, if you want the 10% ethanol it is $2.47

Back