Just ordered our first Bennington

Jando

Reaction score
Hi All!  I've enjoyed lurking  and learning for awhile and decided to jump into the community!  We ordered our first Bennington on April 1, 2016.   Dealer said it was their last slot for Memorial Day delivery - hope that is true.  We ordered a 22 SSRX with some nice upgrades/features.  We do most of our boating on the Wisconsin River here in Central Wisconsin - with about 20 miles of continuous river to play and cruise on.  I powered the boat with a 115hp Mercury Command Thrust.  Did the full Seagrass.Messages Image(2114516494).png

Sweet Boat! Keep your fingers crossed for Memorial Day Boating!

Congratulations!  However, be prepared.  You are about to hear a lot of opinions on the 115.  There is going to be a lot of strong urging to upgrade to the 150.

Welcome! I like the color combo. Like you, I am awaiting my new 21' SLX.

Good to see another Badger; my son lives and works in Madison.

PS: I took care of your delete request.

RE: Motor - Dealer said I'd probably need to add power steering and that just wasn't something I was prepared to spend money on - mostly because I haven't owned a boat with it and without it.  Anyone been quoted difference between 115 and 150?  

Thanks!!!

Don't have any numbers on the upgrade but I will tell you to buy as much horsepower as you can afford NOW. Making the switch to more later is extremely expensive. If you've seen any of my other posts, it's my issue right now! As for the power steering.... never owned a boat without it, did drive one though, not so much fun.

Is your boat a 2 or 3 tube boat?

When I was debating between a 115 and a 150 the difference in price was about $5000 and that included the seastar.  Didn't do it because I was assured the 115 would be fine.  Eventually it will cost me a lot more than that

When I was debating between a 115 and a 150 the difference in price was about $5000 and that included the seastar.  Didn't do it because I was assured the 115 would be fine.  Eventually it will cost me a lot more than that

My dealer is telling me that the 115 with the CT will outperform the 150 out the hole and up through the mid range which is what I'm concerned about mostly.  Don't need extra top range speed.  I don't think the 22 is rated for 150 anyways?

I'm going to second the "buy as much HP now" to avoid the costly upgrade later.

We decided to go with the 150 and couldn't be happier.  Has plenty of power to handle watersports and can still channel cruise all day long without effort.  The seastar hydraulic steering came with our boat with the 150.....it's not power assist but I still like it.

My dealer is telling me that the 115 with the CT will outperform the 150 out the hole and up through the mid range which is what I'm concerned about mostly.  Don't need extra top range speed.  I don't think the 22 is rated for 150 anyways?

If you are going to prop the 115 to try and out perform the 150 down low you will be giving up a bunch on the top end.  If I remember right the command thrust has a lower unit off a 150 mated to the 115 power head.  Spinning the bigger 150 unit with less power mean prop selection is going to be key for performance.

You should expect a top speed of 26-28 with this combo. Do not expect to do much in terms of tubing or other water sports.

My dealer was waxing on and on about the 115 with command thrust, but I just traded a conventional 115 and would NEVER recommend it. I also doubt the claim that it will "outperform the 150." Flat out NOT TRUE.

I haven't tried the boat builder feature to support this claim, but I do believe you are correct in that the 22' S-boat with 2 tubes isn't rated for a 150.

My experience: I started with a 2 tube 22' with a 115. I added an Express Tube. Still not satisfied, I traded it for a 21' SLX with SPS and a 150. If I could turn back the clock. I would have bought my 2nd boat first. But that's only me.

I think you are gonna love being a Bennington owner! Welcome.

Congrats on the new boat! If you are going to have two toons stick with the 115 unless you have elipticals. Then a 150 will really make a difference. We had a 115, sold the boat after three months of use to get a bigger one and a 200 horse. This one suits our needs better and we don't regret spending the extra coin. Wish we would have ordered this boat first. Either way, welcome to the club and post pictures when she comes in! 

I did order my 2nd boat first, and it was VERY easy to sell. 

Congrats!!!

Welcome to the family, and I'm also a buy all the hp you can afford.

My dealer is telling me that the 115 with the CT will outperform the 150 out the hole and up through the mid range

HAAAAA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!

April Fools day was yesterday, but that's still a good one.  Did I tell you guys I decided to trade my 150 for a 115???

HAAAAA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!

April Fools day was yesterday, but that's still a good one.  Did I tell you guys I decided to trade my 150 for a 115???

I'm never the one to make a guy feel bad about his purchase of a boat. But the dealer's statement is a classic example of the things salespeople will say to make a sale.

It's not too late to make a change, but it sounds like you have thought through your needs and made an informed choice.

I just viewed a Craigslist ad for a new S-boat with a 115 and the dealer claimed it would run 42 mph. That, my friends, is just plain wrong. SMH.

Back