Just ordered our first Bennington

No intention of making a guy feel bad about his purchase of a boat. 

Motor maybe...  Kidding. 

A 115 is just fine if you don't plan to pull tubes.  I've had people ski and knee board behind my 115.  It's plenty for that (2 skis anyway).  Tubing is not exciting though.  If tubing isn't something you plan to do, then a 115 is better than 90 is better than 60 is better than 20 etc.  Get the biggest you can afford, whether that's a 90 or a 115, doesn't matter.  Go as big as you can swing.

But having a salesman say a 115 will outperform a 150 at any point on the power curve is just plain silly.  Would Mercury intentionally run their own 150 product line out of business?  I don't think so.  My first day with my 150 felt like there were two 115s on the back of my boat.  Night and day difference.  So, this is something I'd have to witness personally before I'd believe it.  Even then I'd be suspicious of Link or Andy or Jared trying to trick me because they know my 115 story.  :)

But again, no intention of making anyone feel bad they bought, or have, a 115.  The only downside to the 115 is kids will be bored tubing, if not embarrassed in front of their friends, and they won't want to go boating.  Ask me how I know.  It will be exciting the first couple times they go tubing, but after that it gets real boring real quick.  If tubing isn't on your radar, there's nothing at all wrong with a 115.

There is something wrong with that salesman though.  Was he new???

Last edited by a moderator:
No intention of making a guy feel bad about his purchase of a boat. 

Motor maybe...  Kidding. 

A 115 is just fine if you don't plan to pull tubes.  I've had people ski and knee board behind my 115.  It's plenty for that (2 skis anyway).  Tubing is not exciting though.  If tubing isn't something you plan to do, then a 115 is better than 90 is better than 60 is better than 20 etc.  Get the biggest you can afford, whether that's a 90 or a 115, doesn't matter.  Go as big as you can swing.

But having a salesman say a 115 will outperform a 150 at any point on the power curve is just plain silly.  Would Mercury intentionally run their own 150 product line out of business?  I don't think so.  My first day with my 150 felt like there were two 115s on the back of my boat.  Night and day difference.  So, this is something I'd have to witness personally before I'd believe it.  Even then I'd be suspicious of Link or Andy or Jared trying to trick me because they know my 115 story.  :)

But again, no intention of making anyone feel bad they bought, or have, a 115.  The only downside to the 115 is kids will be bored tubing, if not embarrassed in front of their friends, and they won't want to go boating.  Ask me how I know.  It will be exciting the first couple times they go tubing, but after that it gets real boring real quick.  If tubing isn't on your radar, there's nothing at all wrong with a 115.

There is something wrong with that salesman though.  Was he new???

I'm good with my decision.  Actually quite sorry I posted anything at all.  

Enjoy your boat. Our first was a 2 tube with a 90. He had plenty of fun with it.

Brian

I'm good with my decision.  Actually quite sorry I posted anything at all.  

No, the response is typical here. We seem to love spending other people's money.

You spec'd out an awesome boat and it will serve you well.

As I posted above, you are gonna love being a Bennington owner!

Please post photos when she arrives!

Congrats on your boat. It will be exciting and fun. The colors are great.

Cheers, Steve

Jando

I have a good friend who lives in you're neck of the woods. The fact you are buying a boat is all that matters. Buying a Bennington just makes it that much better. Great boat equals great fun and memories. The journey is what is important. ENJOY.

I have the 115 and I am unhappy about it but don't get me wrong, I Love my boat and will so for many more years before I upgrade.  When it does come time to sell I think I will be in the same boat as those in 2012 that were selling there pontoon boats with 60 HP motors on it, I wouldn't even consider one with that size motor.  They say the 115 is the new 60. 

But to get back to the facts of performance of the 115 vs the 150 here are the performance bulletins from Yamaha

At a crusing speed of approximately 20 mph:

HP        RPM        MPH        GPH        MPG

115       4000        21.1          4.4          4.80 

150       3500        21.8          4.9         4.45

http://yamahaoutboards.com/owner-resources/performance-bulletins

Last edited by a moderator:
Going forward let's not rain on others parades. If they ask for suggestions, we'll give them. If not, support their decision and welcome them with open arms. 

Going forward let's not rain on others parades. If they ask for suggestions, we'll give them. If not, support their decision and welcome them with open arms. 

Agree with this.  Not everyone is worried about top speed or pulling tubers.  I did have the largest motor that my Benny is rated for. (60 HP).  I wouldn't mind a little more speed, but certainly not obsessed with speed.  Just takes me a little longer to get to the fish.

Congrats on the new purchase I think you will really love your new boat. Its nice to see another Wisconsinite.

I am from the western part near the Mississippi and am waiting on the launch of our 22ssrx also.

I to herd lots of comments about the 115 vs 150 motor upgrade on this forum, but in the end it was about the budget and I

personally don't finance depreciating assets. So 30k in cash is what I have to spend and no payments suits me fine. 

I think some comments regarding the 115 Yamaha being a dog, may me true, but the new 2.1 liter Mercury command thrust motor is far superior to the old Yamaha 1.7 liter. Mercury has closed that performance gap between the two power plants.

Welcome to the forum lots of great Benny owners here...   

I have the 115 and I am unhappy about it but don't get me wrong, I Love my boat and will so for many more years before I upgrade.  When it does come time to sell I think I will be in the same boat as those in 2012 that were selling there pontoon boats with 60 HP motors on it, I wouldn't even consider one with that size motor.  They say the 115 is the new 60. 

But to get back to the facts of performance of the 115 vs the 150 here are the performance bulletins from Yamaha

At a crusing speed of approximately 20 mph:

HP        RPM        MPH        GPH        MPG

115       4000        21.1          4.4          4.80 

150       3500        21.8          4.9         4.45

http://yamahaoutboards.com/owner-resources/performance-bulletins

Hey thanks Link.

I did get the Mercury - based on family recommendations and the fact that the factory is about 45 minutes from my home (support local jobs.)  it's not easy to find performance bulletins for the Merc setup though.  

Josh

Congrats on the new purchase I think you will really love your new boat. Its nice to see another Wisconsinite.

I am from the western part near the Mississippi and am waiting on the launch of our 22ssrx also.

I to herd lots of comments about the 115 vs 150 motor upgrade on this forum, but in the end it was about the budget and I

personally don't finance depreciating assets. So 30k in cash is what I have to spend and no payments suits me fine. 

I think some comments regarding the 115 Yamaha being a dog, may me true, but the new 2.1 liter Mercury command thrust motor is far superior to the old Yamaha 1.7 liter. Mercury has closed that performance gap between the two power plants.

Welcome to the forum lots of great Benny owners here...   

Hey Scotty - you've got a lot of

water to play on over there!  Yes, I went with the new Merc CT.  Since it's such a new engine hard to find performance bulletins but every dealer I've talked to is really excited about this motor.  

And yea, we tend to spend cash on hand but rates are so low that I think I'll use the banks money.  At least the Bennington's really hold their value well and used ones don't stay on the market long in this area. Resale value was a tick in the pros column when comparing brands.

Later!

Hey thanks Link.

I did get the Mercury - based on family recommendations and the fact that the factory is about 45 minutes from my home (support local jobs.)  it's not easy to find performance bulletins for the Merc setup though.  

Josh

Congrats Josh and welcome!

You're gonna love owning a Bennington with the new Merc and thanks for supporting those local jobs. We'll look forward to reports on how it performs for you, as you said, there isn't much data out there just yet.

Yes, when you can get ultra low rates, I will always use someone elses money!  :)

Congrats Josh, you'll love the boat!

Hey Scotty - you've got a lot of

water to play on over there!  Yes, I went with the new Merc CT.  Since it's such a new engine hard to find performance bulletins but every dealer I've talked to is really excited about this motor.  

And yea, we tend to spend cash on hand but rates are so low that I think I'll use the banks money.  At least the Bennington's really hold their value well and used ones don't stay on the market long in this area. Resale value was a tick in the pros column when comparing brands.

Later!

Yes we due have boating options in WI. Looking forward to summer, seams spring is on hold for now its either 20 or 50 outside.lol

I will definitely venture over to Petenwell lake this summer to due some boating. Mostly will be docked at a boat slip I picked up for the first time in north side La Crosse off Black River.

I agree Bennington resale value is very good don't see many used for sale and our dealer sells a lot of new ones. We have a good local dealer here also.

Cheers...

Things happen. I recall somone telling me buying my motor was a "waste". You have to take the opinions and weigh them against what your budget, wants, and needs are. For example, you have so much cash, and you are happy with a 115. Awesome! Welcome to the Bennington family. 

Back