Keeping the Toons Looking Great

Interesting because the pictures are showing up in your quote...  Can you try a different web browser?

Most pics do show up on my iPad (safari) but yours were not there - either in my quote or yours. I'll will try on my laptop later with diff browser. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you drop the polisher?

Funny, I was thinking about that... It kicked backed on me hard a few times right at my face when doing the nosecones, if I didn't have a death grip on it I'm pretty sure it would have been pretty severely injured...  In fact I thought I sprained both my wrists,  I had it catch my fingers a few times, and I couldn't feel them already because of the cold (Yes I was wearing gloves) and it bent them back pretty badly so I couldnt tell if I broke something or not...  There was no blue lines showing up to indicate broken bones so I just kept moving...  thankfully I didn't hurt my hands or writst at all when it was all said an done, maybe some slight sprains, but the freezing temps kept the swelling down, lol.

But to answer your question, yes!  I dropped it once, when I was under the boat doing the inside of the nosecones, it landed on its back so I got lucky again... this machine is no joke.

The rest of you have been warned.

I too am not having luck seeing the pics with my iPad. :wacko:

My process???

1) Buy a bunch of sh!t.

2) Buy some more sh!t.

3) Get up early and go outside

4) P!ss off the neighbors running grinder for 10 hours.

5) Swear a few times

6) Finally come inside after its getting dark and look in a mirror and see a white guy who is now a black guy.

7) Say "hi" to the wife and realize your voice sounds funny since your vocal cords are covered in black stuff.

8) Take three showers, the last using lanolin hand cleaner for shampoo and the kitchen scrub brush on your face.

9) Have lots of beer because your back hurts so bad you can barely stand up anyway.  Might as well drink heavily.

10) Go outside on second morning and realize you are not even done with the first pontoon.  Mutter "Jesus Christ there are THREE of them".

11) Bitch and cuss before you get started, just to get it out of the way early.

12) Use a mask this time so your not breathing tiny microscoping black aluminum particles.

13) Listen to neighbors crack funny jokes.  Tell them you are here all week and tip the waitresses.

14) Get grinder caught in the tricky spots because you did all the easy parts yesterday.

15) Guess how many times that will happen before you drop and break the grinder.

16) Start to tell yourself no one can see BOTH pontoons at the same time, so no one will know if you quit half way through.

17) Cuss out guys on forum that talked you into doing this (ha ha)

18) Put shark hide on.  Glue fingers together.

19) Use rubber gloves to put shark hide on.

20) Realize the "black" stuff magically appears when you put on shark hide

21) Make up some new swear words

22) Grind off all the shark hide and start over

23) Realize you are on day 3 after seeing same neighbors walking their dog for the sixth time

24) Swear you will never do this again.

25) Swear you will finish it this fall.

26) Realize you can't even see your pontoons when you are inside the boat.

27) Take photos for the forum from far enough away that no one can see what it REALLY looks like.

28) Take boat back to marina.

29) Throw grinder in fire pit.

30) Log in and tell Jared there's no way in hell you'll do his pontoons.

I especially love this post,  not that I am laughing at your pain,  haha. Amuzing and it's what I needed.  I will feel your pain as well. 

Wow,  great looking boats guys! 14 pages is a lot to read through but tons of information. I really want to do this to mine,  but don't think the wife will approve the funds for it,  lol. The toons were acid  washed and then sharkhide metal protectant done  (that's another story). 

If I were to do this,  since it's already been acid washed and protectant done, sounds like just using lacquer thinner would remove the sharkhide metal protectant so the polish process could begin? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Man seriously. ..that is almost exactly what I went through two years ago. 

Woke up at 4am, focused on 1 pontoon.... spent 2 hours Dremel polishing the areas around the welds that the polishing glides over, then removing the dust and compound in 25 degree weather, decided to give it another pass with the polisher using the Mothers Mag polish (couldn't find the billet locally). Spent another hour removing the final compound and dust.
found that there is still residue from the Acetone which takes a lot of elbow grease to remove with a cotton diaper so I attached the cotton to my polisher and buffed it out while removing all the excess film / haze, touched up spots with the acetone then it started snowing hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Waited 3 hours for snow to stop... went outside wiped the toon down again with a new cotton diaper and applied the sharkhide at 34 degrees.  

It leaves a rainbow sheen when applied to mirror finishes, you can kind of see it in these pics...  

About 3 hours after applying the sharkhide we got freezing rain  :wacko:

I really hope the stuff cured!!! Here are the pics AFTER the freezing rain onslaught.

mE5TwbcQqdRFeWwJi1d2BWHZ91PHMckTZatV8HN5eAyGVdMsGn2Blg2WJLdiz-tbaBM71TRkuepqosjiEfQfsNkR08bRuXEx1k_Z4o-VqdlC52LHHJZfDesbWahEudexSrOBBzzcv2Y0rChp0voDLMsAGGDbhbwbxblzkAsFOICLr8ri2bURvBEFEAJC2EBbqZ9J-tDDFwhoRkDHUDLOyeARJJDyojGolhHBkVdJVfvx-K2uXqdYycCOzeBy4j_rvuDvpgIXpUe00L3slnAczQEP0I_yNcoVLzvLEbgZD_uA5NcoimrjUUMCeWPMQ8RSru_iXvIMCMigCh7lD8tdcLtYuXYEETalhKg4zrDjk2vaH1yAKIXvE3v3bfkBZKL0nBVGgaPi6bihSky5DJcJVbZSo_CQSqWv957qmIqbbYCY3mVPQPv6E8CpS1dq9nI7jPaTg3tfEqFaIyMeBXUFocwAxJ73_Xxb_M2PmC0A18EYh6JD8vxIA3PJ1eNACpwTyLn8zSHaafU2dlNiz0S9jli4oLB4rrSvK4n687UU2xHhE83lSU3yVgyUGsNuUBzZqjhMRQ=w1264-h711-no

Can you see the temporary rainbow sheen?

qwZDEAT-QPMzI9Lc7jL--Jd89WTwDOHuMkpkSfcKDLAkBDS8f96Ekbvoi_UfbyCbF5jODeEAbeNSS1xcz-yp5_Lp_-2n77iq30Y3ORLSTt4P4FdjZTKzOyaxdANSZjPwlTEqCbYkjBhqE5U9dPube574YiDRZ97I79mZBrSpkb0-irovLbrHkL1EReLHkV9DYk52PbnLPcTjkxYOIPUZLBn6-z3xQM6yb79sibKrGru-HVCOJ7aEThKalzvfUdKNu878nd21i1vYCx4zZcyZTGL2GKpL3lFixJiEVtGpmI3B7exVzhxuDecM1EFIhrt2uow_jflms0tOZqHpwWnozhXl6njUDG9TomuDnU5hInNcHqXwQ1BjdEOf8_GVjlaVGKFGIKz0AcpoWFcKcg54O3QXd2_KBgCd5icWVskZoj3bPrR0jRYUc6CcYeJ3HpV6wjXHg5cB7NJGsUqjdHGF5n84qFJlAvGgKro3fl3hL2CKBtFLwcc1j-JzozvfofM-6zvNcj0VujhSykZSWTwk9qD7hcZndy6oaQ6IxWssPtHkHBHdGg6TYcb6rcshduTN2JKitg=w400-h711-no

Welds up close, notice the rainbow on the right? 

ccbPnL8HqH2H-33bEyth32WiOvaFx60QticX_atsU-J9tkNKdBu0H0DqjWSkM2RhE40_5JpT_13ipOzm5Ac1rEghDrwANrs4Gjg6f77qt_w1muejsmijbXDQ6m0f6QEFm4AP1UBeZq4riORHGD0l5NFC1ZsSAIFJ5TuahcUxadVjrmR6CTazffXzmKlLpLx55WfPn-Wh-Mz_ydSm3ioJygylOvYpT6Lpqsrtd1XiMvLz8YWkjUDPSYybSOoTwkJ_xlUR3rIWpTPKmVXyZOYk8HJyfzvLxSjABb_pTPxggwCnRmv8vMevaKvMt9xH9CbxzVIaDzagjYB57Lc-5svxyxgH0NmvEQT1qY1sVx87Jb8UnS1fpzb2yBn_q-WvM_y3wKiwX9Q1_cQazTq4uLs0YHpuUncnXsYTChQZz8ieXO0Uygyzo8V4reerUNcD-Wa6MmW9DhoRG_SB1OiIQjI_ZG4_8xwb_PVijD-zvGWj0IXM19AgLlH51IHP_pRwSkGn52Iy4fiAG_ALlNs2VhmrTIx0k1pGZhqzDPGAKaQHe4LtLltpbJg4ORqAJrAau4C63G3D1w=w400-h711-no

Nosecone

KiIgwQkvNBFm8PyOirYWoosy0-19rfCuZK6qyOjW1GeXBEgfQ4QGlygKXimOpm3Y88sy0HYXqOGbfqD5D-G_ellcBy6JZTp9JwXAJu6rjuuokH0kwEsRkFf4vOGMYfYrTC-wPQuvU1ELIQIrePmvT7Et98zq1ocBOgXV1TuNHaR3tN8Uonsxk_J4EjfOQJ-NhzXny0J7r0Eaje725LohOfqJjoKN9CcD_zL95CLHq1Cbv0rHLDV294gV9dbIodVzziA-vYjNoeJRrYpYXO-e_4AKJpM_gff24TNHLYgXC8aYF9ixpIr7EiqvFgnbTQ7Rx__S-F-N2ZWU-AAm02HDZBu8dZQ1CFBegcXQJbxNhQYHIW6KOu62WblgDO9TOrERMdRXfvQzMQYbLO9KgvNFE3cZ_wTU1sM39k5zcwreJilaBqVCQFl4SrLSDuo-6FB_kcipGE4N7jLqBj7hRUhkgB78NRH2nibfiD291vjSGIAjS14zcddLSTR6TUhBYsS6g56sDDfv5grhSse9lnjY2WWqaruP4E6bkPMysyB07DCj7MNmY_WKRxebt5_hJx1IDxrpWQ=w400-h711-no

THIS IS A PIC OF THE OTHER SIDE AT THE SAME TIME, BEFORE THE FINAL DETAIL AND CUT ESSENTIAL A BEFORE AND AFTER...

rIriBcUfmi-Z0109GVSSZkMLwKj5X0h0ezLR8Ze3NlTKjh1Ig1qRKjskgUTdlzLo7BNLsL6FJb6Gz9jY9dp007G9V7_4NdZSb30VEp1qR0gAwgIewAoAeV71xEA_dQU0ubtW_6qtfLUrt99Tkp9QygnzfOPBkBnMkGt0khh2EuEuMo6VTytSHPwLZWSV68_xnSsf3ZrfxYhH--ZH-sW2E24cHjQnolk1qKRPUrp8LZlHP3yJOUzKJGDiBGJMdNaNfFnHBanZ9F7pYxANsXxrvDQt6fLEX5Yf-sEwKdUrhoLVuZp78YU-ZuuIFJXdbwQv68JZFdxVd-GfZ_urm1z_Q0lJnN4kZkiJr9b5exVR-PLbe3axE26MLtt-vEOvsJauS_aNjvPrTUtldtV8MWFpSIKpfq41T4b_KE-6-11NhEs2JTryKwgq5IgJxXV_nSURADg_3Zi8jT13TW6smp2DEyRabYx8d-I1VwTolYrQ8kTfX9VI9wZnqWjXKrZLkB6TNdtqghZt5KKNYNtiJfaq8ZcwrRg1pcVQbf1YrUjQCHkFkI6a_PVWYTsoZoUqDdL4BFYiGw=w400-h711-no

GAW9nYMXXq3ZzB7nAkRbUBDhQj0B_vHrkLLchu1M7Y2fcbWR57-WIAiNEdJigj1A6RI_VQR2vZ_vUyYlikeUHiSxeyt7asGV_b3ZdsgZswqDCA8TOFaEzFJcUu3oeqwZy1oXgOhCUcHn_s0_FtDBzD6Rbkcg4WgWjPqYne0tKP9so-kbKAyaXUhgIH0R2CM0bUy68-_tVXYBQf9vPPeymri7-pGKqVrVHVjdeb-WZYHfL2JmbI3X8mDST3hT-PbWX1ss6QkiLXFiKwzkOUfS4WAzZJ1egt3hWLAob6njCnOuTPryNgeD89ykEfUQjRdkW9gB-JrCMTxnZQlbQ86lX0KCM_Br1-NwUUFkVLUICyyowEUhANBdGVEx90BzHFwgMHUDGH7t4-lD2_E7MmvbfmHzNOPiQNKVFYbDtUpnhgKc68nOPwVYCTzbpS1Hyd0viqp72QSJcN-3i37jCRC-qSMi1CNWO9-Pklfc5dv_2vjNI2O9LnIov0-xueeKp0qcuGScH9cCrvEbKbXdI_DRtVIHhjUlcCQ99nRB-O3cwvZDsGTigUXvhBPDobU_tr_Gcabd-A=w400-h711-no

If you use lacquer thinner it works better than acetone.

I think the acetone evaporates faster, so you get more working time with the lacquer thinner.

Both should do equally as well as far as cleaning power, but use what works best for you.

Why can't I see your photo!!!!

Why can't I see your photo!!!!

Can anyone else see them?  I just pasted them in like last time.  I tried to upload to gallery, but i'm limited to

• Max total size 0.29MB

!?  that's like an eighth of a single photo which doesn't work...  but this seemed to work.

I'm using Chrome

Yup...I've been able to see every one of your photos you've been posting....can see them here at work using IE and can see them on my cell phone and iPad using Chrome.  No issues at all.

I can see them ,using chrome browser 

I just tried in Chrome as well. Nothing. Bummer.

@lakeliving at this point your just going to have to drive over and see them yourself, lol!

I wonder if there is some formatting settings you have setup on your account, or browsers? If formatting is removed, it will remove those pictures.

Ditto on the not seeing pics... Below is what I see.

Can anyone else see them?  I just pasted them in like last time.  I tried to upload to gallery, but i'm limited to

• Max total size 0.29MB

!?  that's like an eighth of a single photo which doesn't work...  but this seemed to work.

I'm using Chrome

I still can't see them, either in Safari on my iPad or with Firefox on my laptop (just a bunch of boxes with "?" in them).  I looked in your gallery also and can see your albums but didn't see one with the polishing pictures :huh:   Oh well.  I don't have or use chrome.  These seem to be the only pictures I have had any trouble with???

Those are probably the best I've ever seen.

Back