Very cool. I was 2 .... :)

LOL

I was almost 9 

But can you believe 25.00 down and pay off in 5 years 

If we only knew then what we know now 

1967 Prices 

Gas: 24.5 to 29.9 per gallon depending on where you lived 
Bread 25 cents a loaf for cheap stuff. Wonder was 36 cents 
Wage: $1.65 was minimum wage. A Doctor or lawyers made $50k and malpractise insurace was like $2,000 a year. 
Homes, in Chicago $12,-25k. In Los Angeles $30 - 50k 
New Toyota Corolla was $1800, Cadillac Broam was 9K Mustang GT was 8k, Mercedes SL was $25k a VW Beetle was $1200 
Shasta Cola was 8 to 10 cents each. 
A scoop of Ice Cream at Baskin Robbins was 35 cents 
A scoop of Ice cream at Walgreens or Thriftys was 5 cents 
Hamburger was 29 cents a pound 
T Bone steak was $1.15 a pound. 
McDonald's Hamburger was 39 cents 
White Castle Haumburger was 15 cents 
Coffee was 10 cents a cup or $2 for THREE POUNDS 
The Sunday Times was 25 cents 

A pay phone call was 10 cents 

Bus ride was a quarter including free transfer 
Staten Island Ferry was 5 cents 
Rent was $65 to $75 for an old dumpy 1 bedroom and $100 - $115 for a nice apartment with pool, dishwasher, AC
A movie was $1.50 
Popcorm was 50 cents 
A snickers bar was 5 cents 
Gum balls were a penny 
Cigarettes were 27 cents in stores adn 35 cents in machines 
Zig Zags were a nickel. 
The Sound of Music had been running at ONE theater for 18 months straight and you had to pay $3 to $4 to get in to see it. 
It cost $8.50 to see Linda Ronstadt at the Palamino in North Hollywood 
It cost $8.50 to see Hair live in Hollywood at the Aquarius Theater 
It cost $12.50 to fly from Los Angeles to San Francisco on Continental 
I used to have a cheese burger with fries and a choclate shake for $1.89 at Thrifty Drug

Can you believe there were people in those days making more than we do now 

enjoying these low prices ?

More Importantly Bennington Pontoon was created 30 years later in Elkhart IN !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was 17 at the time.

My parents bought 2 lots on sand point michigan back in 1967.  Sand point is 3 miles south of caseville and is a 4 mile long penisula.  On the north shore is Saginaw Bay with homes( some over a $million plus) having to put boats on lifts or putting them in marina's and the south side (us regular folks) is Wildfowl bay with channels and seawalls with access in 2 3 places to the bay.

We are at the mouth of the canal where it goes to the both the right and left so we have the protection of storing boats in seawalls and have a open view to the bay.  We have a 75 yard trip though the canal before we hit the bay.

My parents put seawalls on both lots.  They bult the cottage in 1978 and and sold the 2nd lot in 1994 for 20K.  The owner of the 2nd lot has never returned since he bought it in 1994;  We still use his seawall to store hunting boat and any friends boats that come to park and stay with us

Crazy how prices now are insane for lake front and canal front property and with the water coming up, they are ony going to go up in value.  We had a emply lot sell for 50K and it was about 300 yds down the canal with no view to the bay what so ever.

Todd

Pittsburgh, the price that amazes me most on that list is flying Los Angeles to San Francisco for $12.50.  I was 13 that summer, I remember when I turned 16 and had my first car Sears had a gas station and they ran a promotion in 1969, 4 gallons of gas for $1. 

I researched and found: $1.00 in 1967 had the same buying power as $7.08 in 2014. Annual inflation over this period was 4.25%.  So some of those items on your list are in line [including the airline flight] but those that have drastically outpaced inflation are the cars and entertainment [Paul McCarthy tickets here in Albany are $253 for his summer concert].   

In 67 ,gas was 13 cents a gallon  at a Tulsa station on 8 mile ,in Detroit .Oil was 20 cents a quart .

89 cents for an 8 pack of beer at the Wrigley grocery store across the street .

I remember 14 cents a gallon during "gas wars" around then. I had just started driving. We had Wrigleys by us too. Big chain grocery back then.

In 67 ,gas was 13 cents a gallon  at a Tulsa station on 8 mile ,in Detroit .Oil was 20 cents a quart .

89 cents for an 8 pack of beer at the Wrigley grocery store across the street .
Was the beer Olympia 7oz cans? I miss the pull tabs and shooting them. Probably need picks for some of the young bucks...

Was the beer Olympia 7oz cans? I miss the pull tabs and shooting them. Probably need picks for some of the young bucks...
No it was some off the wall brand Gambrinus ,12 oz bottles 

mY0Z8MYZTNkoHjFThu9b2rA.jpg

Still around ,maybe it was better than I remember 

http://www.gambrinus.com/

We used to get one of these ( Falstaff Tapper, held the equivalent of a case  )  every Friday night & played cards 

m1KWcD92hy2J5O2FJJg_luw.jpg

I do remember that being some rot gut .

We bought our lake house in 2010 and remodeled the entire home. It is nice to have a home with enough equity to pay cash for the most expensive bennington or another regular non lake home. There is a lot next to us with no home. I've only met the owner once in 4 years of living here.

My grandmother bought 400' of prime Tennessee River waterfront in 1945, and we have no idea where she came up with $4,500.

Now, a 100' lot with a deep rock bottom and a 6 mile sunset view will set you back $250K--or more.

After you build a house, funding a pier/boathouse is especially tough.  They're $58K for a single concrete boathouse--more like $100K for a double boathouse.

Here at the Lake a building lot is 150 - 190k

Then you have to build at a minimum of square footage 

I am just glad I bought when I did

Lake living has been my dream since I was a kid

Coming from a humble background , it is a daily miracle to live this lifestyle 

92487028.jpg

124502ec0120c937cc05a157a7bd9727_zps2bd94ece.jpg

#5 ! They fly!

Looks like the weather is not cooperating again

I will hate waiting till Memorial Day to enjoy the Boat 

Disadvantage for us in the North is Limited Boat Time 

I am curious with just 4-5 months of boating a year 

Will I get 10 years out of the Bennington 

Dealer said it will last a lifetime !

39413638.jpg

If you keep a pontoon out of the sun and keep the upholstery and carpet dry, they will last a long, long time.

I bought my original pontoon boat in 1985, and it still hasn't got a single dent in the toons.  I retired it after 27 years when I failed to properly maintain the lower unit.  The Yamaha 115 hp 2 stroke still runs great otherwise.  I really need to list the thing on Craigslist.

Looks like the weather is not cooperating again

I will hate waiting till Memorial Day to enjoy the Boat 

Disadvantage for us in the North is Limited Boat Time 

I am curious with just 4-5 months of boating a year 

Will I get 10 years out of the Bennington 

Dealer said it will last a lifetime !
If you get infected with P.A.D.s  

You will ordering again for next season . :lol:

Back