Life Jackets

ILLINOIS AVE

Reaction score
Hi Guys Just wondering about life jackets,for us new boat owners .What is the best bet on jackets?What kind?Where do you get the best jacket for the best price?How about a nice average amout to have on boat?Are the orange ones that we had as kids ok.or do we need the newer ski jackets on the boat?

Thanks Jeff

I purchased a (4) pack of orange vests from West Marine. They come in a storage bag. Then I have (5) ski type vests for water sports.

I bought a 8 pack of USGC approved orange vest in a storage bag from Overtons. It sits in storage under seats to pass inspection if your boat is stopped with alot of people on board.. We have 4 ski vests that are loose for usage during the day. We have 4 square cushions for floating in the water. These are older canvas cushions that you can sit on in the water. The new cheap vinyl cushions are too slippery.

Last edited by a moderator:
We got a good deal at Walmart for the Life Jackets.... My Boats Limit is 14,,, SO we bought 12 Life jackets from there and a few Good Vests for the Kids and Adult ones for Tubing,,,, I always keep them on the boat Under the Seats, this way there is Never any worries.....

We bought a 4 pack of cheaper ones that still look decent enough, then we have 4 neoprene ones that are nice that we actually wear, and of course 2 dog life jackets!! Haha our dogs love to be on the boat, hate the water! They will walk around a puddle in the street! My female probably would if there was another dog around who was playing with her and ran into the water, my male would just wait for the dog to come out! Haha

8 pack of the orange vests, 5 neoprene ski vests/various sizes, 5 square cushions (absolutely love these for floating/sitting on and of course....................noodles!!!!!!!

What's the rule/law? At least one approved life vest/flotation device for everyone on board............

Same here. Neoprene ones are nice and comfortable. Law is 1 per person of APPROPRIATE size. Gotta watch out cause our dock buddies had some young ladies that were just under the 90lb weight class but had adult jackets on board. No tickets were issued but they coasties made them go in. Plus you need 1 throw able device

2 neoprene for us, selection of USCG approved orange in various sizes for guests, and throwable.

I'm on my way to 40lb weight loss, so time for a new one for me ...... WOOT !!!!!!

My story is similar to the guys above. Cheap ones keep you legal, the neoprene ones are comfortable, and you'll probably want some of each.

Theisens had the "cheap" ski style on clearance (late August) for under $10 when we got our boat, so I bought 8-10 of those (don't recall how many exactly). We already had a couple nicer ones from my younger jet ski days. We bought a nice neoprene one for my daughter for comfort. My son could care less if something on the life jacket is poking him in the ribs or his arm pit, so he got a cheap one. He's just thrilled to be tubing! The kids often bring friends, so make sure you have extra kids vests if you're at that stage of your life.

Actually, we found a lot of friends already have them for their kids, and a lot of them didn't even own a boat. Some had them for canoeing, some just for going to the beach, others for water park use (I'm talking little kids at the water parks - 2-ish). So, you may not need to "overbuy". But you do have to be legal of course!

We like using the cheap ski-style vests upside down with your legs through the arm holes when floating in the water. It doesn't restrict your chest that way, or ride up under your chin if you loosen it up. Just make sure the neck hole is positioned "just right" before you jump off the boat!!! It won't elaborate why that is here, but trust me, you won't do that twice.

We bought a 4 pack of cheaper ones that still look decent enough, then we have 4 neoprene ones that are nice that we actually wear, and of course 2 dog life jackets!! Haha our dogs love to be on the boat, hate the water! They will walk around a puddle in the street! My female probably would if there was another dog around who was playing with her and ran into the water, my male would just wait for the dog to come out! Haha
LOL. I would have thought the other way around on the male/female thing. Guess dogs are different than humans...

By the way, for us, I found most people will use a vest when we're in a cove and everyone's in the water, so I am glad I bought all ski-vest style jackets (and didn't buy the old "orange like when I was a kid" style). Those old school ones are probably the cheapest route though if they will stay under the seat their entire life (as in, you have them just to be legal). Think about how you will use them. Just thought I'd mention that most of our friends will actually use one when they go in the water. It just makes it that much more relaxing.

I know that places like Cabela's, Bass Pro and Overtons also sell pretty inexpensive ski-type vests and often have sales. Two years ago I got about 6 of them at $12 each. Use for 'jumping in the deep water' type stuff. :)

I got the standard "Coast Guard" special that came with the boat from my dealer. They check off the box, and can be used in an emergency.

Having said that, I also went out and bought four of these for regular use. Very comfortable to wear and do not obstruct. Well worth the money IMHO. We keep these on the boat and bring the "Coasties" out for those times when we have >4 souls on board.

I got the standard "Coast Guard" special that came with the boat from my dealer. They check off the box, and can be used in an emergency.

Having said that, I also went out and bought four of these for regular use. Very comfortable to wear and do not obstruct. Well worth the money IMHO. We keep these on the boat and bring the "Coasties" out for those times when we have >4 souls on board.
I still haven't pulled the trigger on one of those. I rarely wear a life jacket on the boat, but I always do when I'm out by myself (which isn't often). I figured one of these inflatables would be good for those occasions. How do you like them?

All good points. The inflatables are good. Two kinds, one auto inflates the other you pull the co2 firing mech. Remember, they have to be maintained. They are not a substitute for the standard vests and in some states they must be worn to be legal. You should always have a throwable rescue device near the captains station. In an emergency, this can save a life.

This was an excellent post. Safe boating and have fun

I also have an 8 pack of cheap orange vest to be legal. I seldom ever carry so many people, however.

The family each has their neoprene high quality ski vest.

And to float on, there's no substitute for a good old 15" or 16" inner tube. But they're certainly not USCG legal. I've yet to figure out how to mount a Bar Buoy on one, however.

I still haven't pulled the trigger on one of those. I rarely wear a life jacket on the boat, but I always do when I'm out by myself (which isn't often). I figured one of these inflatables would be good for those occasions. How do you like them?
I like them a lot. I have the manual inflate-type. When I'm out by myself I have it on and connect the kill switch to the D ring on the jacket. They use the CO2 cartridge and you must service them (change the cartridge every 2 years). Very comfortable. I've tied a line to it and tied off to a cleat when we've anchored in a current, manually inflated it, laid back and watched the world go by.

Back