List is Complete?? Suggestions Welcome : )

tyjy

Reaction score
Hi, very new here and hoping for opinions about our selections. (We never owned a pontoon but have had our 16' Alumacraft fishing boat since the 80's! Same one!) Started thinking preowned, then got a quote for new, then a 22 two-tube plain jane and after reading more it's evolved into THIS!

Decided that 20' was probably too small and 22' is probably just about right. It'll mainly be my husband and I fishing We have 8 grandkids 8 and under so learning to tube is in the plans.  We selected the 22 SFX because of the 4 corner fishing seats which was the only priority...what do you guys think? Is it overkill? It IS a lot of money but we're hoping we use it a lot as we're nearing retirement : )

22SFX

Yamaha 115 HP 4 stroke 20"

Yamaha Performance stainless prop

Express Performance Pkg (probably pay a little to have the FULL wave shield vs. "modified wave tamer" HELP on this??)

Sea Star hydraulic w/tilt

Sealed Lifting Strakes (2 tubes) (even though we won't have in salt water)

Sharkhide protectant 3 tubes

Battery-Single Switch

Custom Wheel upgrade w/teak accents

Trim accent teak

Teak table upgrade (trapazoid/3 cup)

Upgrade G Series Helm Chair

Upgraded bass seats (4)

4 pole rod holder

Full Vinyl floor

(comes with two live wells: one in front corner and one larger in back, which we'll probably only use as cooler or storage)

Console seat cushion pack

Privacy enclosure w/frame & curtain

Standard 10' bimini

Docking lights in ABS housing

Heavy duty rub rails

Maybe/maybe not a trailer. If so, any suggestions regarding type if we have that Express pkg??

Also, does anyone have those Rub Rail Protectors? What are they?

Thanks so much in advance for any feedback!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on choosing bennington. Great boat and company for sure. I don't know if the sealed strakes are needed though. Cutting those out might help on the budget. It sounds like you love to fish but if you plan on taking the grand kids out for some water sports you'll want more power. I had a 115 and the performance really dropped. When your spending that kind of money it is nice to have a boat that can do a little of everything. Just my $.02

Welcome and it sounds like a very nice boat.  The only thing I might suggest is a raised helm as the extra few inches in hwight makes a difference for visability while seated and steering the boat.  Enjoy the boat!

Jack

The rub rail protectors are only really used if you have a trailer to protect the rub rail from getting marred/dented from the bunk stops of the trailer. I ordered them, never actually got around to putting them on yet!! Haha

Sounds like you are going to be busy with all those grandkids. I'm a BIG proponent of dual batteries. The extra battery has saved me more than once. I also believe you should get all the HP you can fit or afford. The basic formula for water sports is 10HP per foot of boat. I can hear it now......"faster grandpa, faster...."

Better to pull back on the throttle than to wish you had more. I agree with Jack on the raised helm as well. I think you will find that is a majority vote on this forum.

Good luck and let us know how it's coming..

I don't think an elevated helm is an option on the s series.

I don't think an elevated helm is an option on the s series.
Neither are the "dual batteries  " However the dealer installed a switch and a second battery for about $125 for me last year on my SLX 

Welcome to the party! You don't need sealed strakes but you do need at least a 150 as you can never have too much power.

i'm pretty sure my 2014 SFX was only rated for a 115 HP. I did go with the sealed strakes. some of the guys said that unsealed strakes tend to bubble and make a little noise but bearable after they get used to it, not really a prob tho.

a wave shield is really nice and worth the little extra $

It does changes with tube configuration ,standard ,and express ,115 ,sps and elliptical can accommodate a 150  .At least according to the build site .

i'm pretty sure my 2014 SFX was only rated for a 115 HP. I did go with the sealed strakes. some of the guys said that unsealed strakes tend to bubble and make a little noise but bearable after they get used to it, not really a prob tho.

a wave shield is really nice and worth the little extra $

I wouldn't worry about an optional wave shield with the Express Performance package or getting the sealed strakes.

I'm also not a fan of twin batteries, as I'm not running a big power booster sound system or power steering.  I just shelled out $300 to replace twin batteries in my pickup truck, and one battery is good enough for me.  Just make sure your dealer puts a high quality battery in your boat--not like the piece of crap battery my dealer put in my boat.

I didn't look on the spec's to see if an extended aft deck is available with your seat configuration.  It's very well worth the money for so much extra room, and it's a safer boat with more room to walk around the engine and handle ropes, etc.

Now as far as getting a trailer.  I didn't have a trailer with my last pontoon boat, and I would have done a better job maintaining my motor had I had a trailer.  (The Yamaha 115 2 stroke only lasted 27 years.)  The wife and I have done some long distance river cruising (125 miles) now that we have a trailer.  We're going to take the boat 200 miles up river--cruising home one way.  I like having the ability to visit  other lakes--even though we live on the river.

Hi, very new here and hoping for opinions about our selections. (We never owned a pontoon but have had our 16' Alumacraft fishing boat since the 80's! Same one!) Started thinking preowned, then got a quote for new, then a 22 two-tube plain jane and after reading more it's evolved into THIS!

Decided that 20' was probably too small and 22' is probably just about right. It'll mainly be my husband and I fishing on the Mississippi River when we're lucky enough to get to our cabin (don't live on water & cabin is not on water so we've found a slip in nearby marina). We have 8 grandkids 8 and under so learning to tube is in the plans.  We selected the 22 SFX because of the 4 corner fishing seats which was the only priority...what do you guys think? Is it overkill? It IS a lot of money but we're hoping we use it a lot as we're nearing retirement : )

22SFX

Yamaha 115 HP 4 stroke 20"

Yamaha Performance stainless prop

Express Performance Pkg (probably pay a little to have the FULL wave shield vs. "modified wave tamer" HELP on this??)

Sea Star hydraulic w/tilt

Sealed Lifting Strakes (2 tubes) (even though we won't have in salt water)

Sharkhide protectant 3 tubes

Battery-Single Switch

Custom Wheel upgrade w/teak accents

Trim accent teak

Teak table upgrade (trapazoid/3 cup)

Upgrade G Series Helm Chair

Upgraded bass seats (4)

4 pole rod holder

Full Vinyl floor

(comes with two live wells: one in front corner and one larger in back, which we'll probably only use as cooler or storage)

Console seat cushion pack

Privacy enclosure w/frame & curtain

Standard 10' bimini

Docking lights in ABS housing

Heavy duty rub rails

Maybe/maybe not a trailer. If so, any suggestions regarding type if we have that Express pkg??

Also, does anyone have those Rub Rail Protectors? What are they?

Thanks so much in advance for any feedback!
8 grandkids means they will LOVE going boating with you if you have a setup for tubing.  Get the 150 HP.  You will need it for tubing.

If you get the 115, save your money on the stainless steel prop.  You won't notice the difference, and you'll just be a target for having it stolen. You probably will save $500 on the prop if you just go with the 115.  In my mind, 150 is the point where you would start to think about a stainless prop.  And I have both.

I like to fish, but having 4 fishing chairs may be overkill if there is just two of you, especially with all those kids.  They will likely want to tube more than fish until they are older.  So, you may want seating that is more suitable for tubing (safer, lower couch seating that the little kids won't fall out of).  Sounds like you love to fish though, so a compromise might be two fishing chairs instead of four...

Get the extended deck.  I like standing there while fishing.  I also stand at the port gate to fish and off the bow.  I have no "fishing" seats on our boat, but there are plenty of places to fish from, but I do have to stand.  Just saying if you go with 2 fishing chairs, the kids can stand and fish as they get older.  You can sit on the bow or aft deck without seats though.

I'd recommend a second battery and charging relay.  The relay is ~$80 and is a DIY thing.  My second battery is my old dead SUV battery.  It wouldn't start my SUV below 0 degrees, but at 80 degrees (which happens to be boating weather) it works just fine.  Been using it for the last two years.  I don't use it as my main starting battery, I use it as my "house" battery (running the stereo while in a cove).  The charging relay will disconnect your starting battery when the motor isn't running, saving it for JUST starting the boat.  What I'm trying to say is a second battery doesn't HAVE to cost you much for the added security it brings.  ALL batteries fail at some point.  You will wish you had two if that happens while on the lake.

I'd skip the sealed strakes and put the $ towards ammenities like the teak accents and maybe some cupholders.  It just makes being on the boat nicer if you have some of the upgrades.

We got the stainless dock lights as I didn't really like the look of the plastic ones.  But we never use them.  You are NOT supposed to have them on when cruising at night.  They are just for seeing the dock when you come in at night.  A flashlight works better.  These are NOT at all as bright as car headlights!  I have flashlights that are brighter, and you can point a flashlight where you want to (or have someone else help with that while you drive). If there is ANY light at your dock, you probably won't even notice when you have them on.

We have the Express Package, and the simple/cheap wave shield that comes with it, while highly recommended, is plenty adequate.  I can feel NO surging from spray on the cross members.  The $ on upgrading the wave shield could go toward something else.

I wish I had the heavy duty rub rail.  You will bump the dock sooner or later.  On the S, there's not much support behind the aluminum rail.  Knowing what I know now, and how cheap it is to add, I would get that if I could do it all over.  I may catch PADS and get a chance to do that though.

Get the sharkhide put on.  Your tubes will oxidize (tarnish) quickly without it, making it look like a 5 year old boat after half a season.

Good luck!  And welcome aboard!

Don't forget the tow bar!  If you are going to pull tubes, that is MUCH MUCH MUCH easier than using the pontoon eyes.  Plus it keeps the rope up in the air 5 or 6 feet so there is less chance of the tube submerging on take off.

My 2 cents ..... 8 grand kids .... Go 24'.

You might want that extra couple feet.

With 2 people in the toon 22' will seem huge, add 8 kids and maybe couple more adults ..... Go big !!!

Wow, I really appreciate all these tips. Sounds like we need to talk more about this and think it through more. It's been crazy because the first dealer suggestion was a 20-22' with just two pontoons and a 50 or 70 hp motor so you can see just how nuts we already have been! And coming from a 16' v-hull fishing boat makes a size hard to visualize being in it. 95% of the time it will probably be just us two & it's a vacation for the kids, HOWEVER, wondering if we had something we all can fit in finally will draw more trips? That's the magic question. Anyways, I REALLY appreciate all these tips because it's from people who are doing this & not hypotheticals! THANK you!

Well I worked the boat show all day yesterday with my dealer, I must say, that 22SSX with the new fishing station is pretty impressive. For an S model fishing setup, it seems to have the best of both worlds. Great setup for fishing, and still lots of seating up front for everything else. Watched a guy come in and look at a Super Air Nautique G23 and say, sure, I'll take it. Bam! There goes a quick $170G!!!! Made the tower model Bennington seem like chump change!! Although one guy was looking at the tower model and figured he should check with his wife before he bought it because he just bought a new Ferrari last week, but he might come back today. Man I would like to choke my school guidance counselor for not giving me the right career path.

Derrick, when did you move to the 90210 zip code. Wow!

Wow, I really appreciate all these tips. Sounds like we need to talk more about this and think it through more. It's been crazy because the first dealer suggestion was a 20-22' with just two pontoons and a 50 or 70 hp motor so you can see just how nuts we already have been! And coming from a 16' v-hull Alumacraft fishing boat makes a size hard to visualize being in it. 95% of the time it will probably be just us two as our cabin is 3 hrs away so it's a vacation for the kids, HOWEVER, wondering if we had something we all can fit in finally will draw more trips? That's the magic question. Anyways, I REALLY appreciate all these tips because it's from people who are doing this & not hypotheticals! THANK you!
It's a big investment, and there is a lot to consider.  Just like every other time you get into something new, there are things you don't realize until after its too late.  That's what's great about this forum.  It's winter, and lots of people here are bored waiting for the lake to open up, but many also like to help, and talk about their Bennys, so ask all the questions you want!   The more you describe yourself and what you want to do with the boat, the better.  You never know when a seemingly unimportant comment will lead to that "ah-ha" moment and avoid a big mistake.  So don't be shy.  You might have to wait an hour or so for some answers though, ha ha.

Semper made an excellent point that I missed.  I second his comment on the 24 over the 22.  Don't look at it as 2 extra feet.  And it's not just about the people carrying capacity rating.  It's what Bennington did with those extra 2 feet, especially on the SSL (not the model you are looking at, but just making the point).  Those two extra feet are more like 10 because of where they put them.

Unless you have a dock or storage constraint, give the 24 some extra thought.  Coming from a 16 footer, a 22 or a 24 might sound like there's not much difference, but there really is.

And if your going to keep the 115, make sure you get the newest one that just came out. Looks to have quite a bit of improvements over the one I had last year.

Back