List is Complete?? Suggestions Welcome : )

:unsure:

This has been such a process. I'm sure you all dealt with this when "building" a boat? With us it started out with just two toons and already bumped up to the EPP... and started out with 50-70 HP & now up to the 115 HP!  It's like, where do we stop?? Ever go to an auction and think: "what the heck, if I was going to pay $20 why not $22...then why not $24 then why not $30"...know what I mean? (It seems only a $2 jump at the time, but in all actuality it's already 50% higher & still climbing!)

That said...(haha)

Re: LED lights in the bimini...can we drive around at dusk or after dark with them on? Or can they only be used when sitting idol/parked? We were thinking more they'd be used on a leisurely cruise and for added light to see our surroundings in the boat if it got a little dark before we got back to dock.

Also, we're going to have to park IN the water docked when not in use, but we are having the factory applied Sharkhide. Besides routine interior cleaning after use and a more thorough cleaning including underneath & the toons at the end of the season, is there a lot of other (motor/hull?) maintenance issues/expenses we should know about? Just want to go into this with our eyes wide open. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Oil change ,after ( I believe ) first 20 hrs ,oil change and winterizing  before it is stored for the winter .

The bimini lights you can use all the time and when you're in the water, just give the tubes a scrub with a soft brush.

We spent nearly 3x what we hoped to on our boat.  But, what we thought we could get for what we wanted to pay wasn't realistic, so that's how I look at it.  We weren't being realistic in our expectations.

We all understand what you're talking about when buying a pontoon/tritoon.  I set a maximum budget, and only went 20% over--par for the course.  I would have loved to have gone ESP and 250 hp, but it would have changed the rest of my current lifestyle.  I don't cherish spending another  $15K for 3-4 mph when I virtually never run at full speed.

The LED lighted bimini top just gives your boat a blue glow when you're out in the dark.  Many owners don't get out so late at night, so it's not an issue.  Maybe this Summer, we'll do more midnight floating/wine drinking in the middle of our lake.

Like was previously mentioned, modern 4 strokes take very little maintenance most years--just takes 30 minutes to change oil and lower unit grease.  I do my own maintenance and save $350 yearly.

If you're going to leave your boat in a marina, hopefully your boat will be under cover and out of the weather.  You can stay on top of cleaning the toons if you'll issue all riders their own Scotchbrite pad to clean the green bathtub ring from the water line.  Pulling the boat out of the water after the boating season's over is a big plus, and it just makes it so easy to do maintenance.

Actually, for me, the building of the boat was the fun part. Now we're into the waiting and the unpleasantness is being compounded by one of the coldest and snowiest winters we've had in a good number of years.

Once the boat and warmer weather arrive I'll be feeling much better.

The waiting stinks ,mine arrived at the dealer and ,I cant do a thing .All I can do is look at the shrink wrap .

I was able  peek inside through the hole ,but nothing is assembled yet .

15 daysuntil SPRING    March 20 2014

a Thursday 15 days from today

http://daycalc.appspot.com/03/20/2014

Ohh, gotta admit, it IS "fun" to "build" a boat...

...and NY & Petoskey, MI I feel your pain, we live in Wisconsin, same story :angry: . For a person who doesn't mind winters all that much this is getting ridiculous even to me . I just keep thinking at least we won't be due for a repeat for a long, long time (crossed fingers).

So, you're convincing me, we are now doing a website "build" of a 22 SFX with a 150 HP Yamaha! The only two choices is the SPS (3 full tubes) or the 32" Elliptical (two tubes). For the capacity of 13 people we'd probably go with the SPS. Now it's...do we or don't we whittle down some of the options we were startin to feel : ) ? 

This is a potential build, for sure choices:

SPS w/25" transom & 150 HP Yamaha 4 stroke

Seastar steering

Battery Switch

full Vinyl Floor

4 pole rod holder

console cushion pkg

privacy enclosure

HD rub rail

Sharkhide 3 tube

options debating if:

upgraded 3 cup teak table

custom wheel upgrade

upgraded helm chair

upgraded fishing chairs

bimini led lights

abs dock lights

ski pylon

Got us back to the pre-owned websites too...we'll see. Dealer said gotta act soon though as the Yahama rebate sale is ending March 31 and Bennington is planning a price hike!

Really appreciate this website/forum. Especially thank those who post so freely and quickly. All your experience, actually using these boats, helps us newbies from making mistakes that those before us have already learned from.

When the dealer showed you a 2 toon 90hp boat he was selling a price point.  You need to spend the time to figure out the the way you will use the boat for the next 10 years and buy your "2nd boat the first time".  You can live with layout of the boat much easier than having too little HP.  Our first toon has gone from a 45hp to a 90hp to a 135hp.  But it is a 2 toon w/o lifting strakes and will never go on plane.  Get 3 toons so the boat can plane.  The extra hp is not about going faster it is about slowing down less while loaded.  The first time you put 6-8 people on board you will know if you have a big enough engine.  Problem is if you only bought the 115 it is very expensive to upgrade.  

Remediation: Thanks for putting it into words like that. I see what you guys are all saying and it's true, we REALLY would rather buy our "2nd boat the first time".

Soooo appreciate the wisdom on this board!

Don't do what we did, sold our 2013 as I'd didn't fit what we really wanted out of our boat.

I think the teak accents really give the boat a classy look, much better than a white plastic table and black steering wheel. I also highly recommend going with stainless docking lights. They look great and can be stepped on unlike the plastic ones. Also go with the heavy duty rub rail. It just makes sense.

Looks like you have spent a lot of time scratching your head but I think you are making some good choices. Seeing that you fish alot, I might rethink the upgrade to the fishing chairs. Seems like you may be spending alot of time there. Don't know how much difference there is in the upgrade as I have no experience but a comfortable chair makes a huge difference, expecially for us people with age.

options debating if:

upgraded 3 cup teak table --$90

custom wheel upgrade --$181

upgraded helm chair -- $229

upgraded fishing chairs -- $356 (4)

bimini led lights --$229

abs dock lights --$160

ski pylon --$660 (52") 

(prices are list off build site)

Thats about $1900 worth of options .

after a percentage off ( based on the % I got )

I would say your cost around $1300 .

If you come down with a case of P.A.D.S.

Even Benningtons hold their value very well, you still may loose that much on a trade ( I lost $2500 for 1 year ) .

One other thing I would want , I would ask the dealer about would be a second battery 

Helm chair, fishing chairs, stainless docking lights and ski pylon are very worth while. The ski pylon just because it is not something that is easily added later and also increases resale value. 

And if your going to keep the 115, make sure you get the newest one that just came out. Looks to have quite a bit of improvements over the one I had last year.
If we switch to the 150 hp Yamaha, is that one that's coming out new/improved too?

No changes to the 150 that I'm aware of but that is already a great bullet proof motor that has already proven itself. You wouldn't regret getting the 150.

No changes to the 150 that I'm aware of but that is already a great bullet proof motor that has already proven itself. You wouldn't regret getting the 150.
Thanks! Based on all the  forum conversations, my sense is telling me that making it happen with a 150 hp will be the right move for us! (Good thing we've had the time to think this through a little more!)

tyjy ,here is some bad news for you .

Even after you order ,you will wake up and start thinking about your order .

Should we have ordered this ? Should we have ordered that ?

I haven't took delivery of my second Bennington ,and it is actually my fourth order .

There are times I read about things here on the forum ,and I wonder should I have done that ? Why did I get this ?

Having a good dealer helps too .There are some changes you can make with out altering the build date and others ,well that is why this is my fourth order .

Enjoy the experience ,and like others have said " Order your last boat first " 

tyjy ,here is some bad news for you .

Even after you order ,you will wake up and start thinking about your order .

Should we have ordered this ? Should we have ordered that ?

I haven't took delivery of my second Bennington ,and it is actually my fourth order .

There are times I read about things here on the forum ,and I wonder should I have done that ? Why did I get this ?

Having a good dealer helps too .There are some changes you can make with out altering the build date and others ,well that is why this is my fourth order .

Enjoy the experience ,and like others have said " Order your last boat first " 
Jaaaaack! Quit telling me the truth like that! haha  :eek:   :wacko:   :blink: ;)

Helm chair, fishing chairs, stainless docking lights and ski pylon are very worth while. The ski pylon just because it is not something that is easily added later and also increases resale value. 
My wife insisted we upgrade the helm and fishing chairs and that was a great decision.

Back