List is Complete?? Suggestions Welcome : )

Hmmmm .... 28' !!!!!

They are monsters !!!!

Our 22RLi feels so big from what we came from, we use our cell phones to communicate !!!!

We were ordering a 24' S model, but bought the leftover 22RLI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you have gotten a lot of great advice and I am sure you are completely confused. But that's OK that's how we learn. The only thing I would stress is get the 150 if you can. I have grand kids and tried to tube with our old boat that was a 85 HP. I think you will not be happy with anything less than the 150.

And like it has been said in other words "the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask".

Welcome !!

David

We got a fishing boat with the benches up front I wanted the four fishing seats but my wife talked me into the benches up front and Im glad that she did it way more usable area and storage and you can get more people aboard. You can see what we have and it works well with the wife and I and our 2 kids 9 and 7 and all of the little friends that are with us on the weekends. We average about 6 and its just right.

Been working on this & have a few answers & more questions if you'll bare with me! Sure do appreciate all the generous assistance!!

*Seems the 115 hp is maximum with the Express Performance Pkg. is correct.

*Also the raised helm isn't listed either.

*We are seriously considering adding the ski pylon. Pricey but maybe worth it in the long run.

*(Should preface by saying it will be rare that any grandkids are out there, and when they are, even rarer all at the same time! 95%+ it'll just be DH and me) Regarding speed though, I really don't want to be pulling kids around too fast anyways so maybe it's okay not to have a 150 hp motor. I think if the parents want their kids to go fast THEY can buy a boat! DH may not agree but I just have to admit that I'm scared of speed for that reason. Getting back to the dock if threatening weather I will speed though! : )

QUESTIONS:

Grizz: do you think the sealed strakes are really worth the price? And, maybe you can clarify something for us. There's the 2-tube "sealed" MSRP $972 but is that for the two outside toons only? THEN if we were hell bent on sealed strakes would that mean we'd have to add the $285 "sealed" strakes (Exp. Ctr)" too??    

Also, did you pay extra to have the underdeck wave shield added vs. the "modified wave tamer" w/the Express Perf. Pkg? Worth it? Does $280 for the additional material sound reasonable if we made it full wave shield? 

Anyone: Is the gurgling/bubbling sound from unsealed strakes that alarming? Is the performance different? Also, if unsealed, and kept in water at marina throughout season, will mussels, etc. be hard to clean out?

Bamaman: What should we look for as a "High Quality Battery"? (This would have been overlooked if you hadn't mentioned it so thanks!)

Kaydano: is a "Charging Relay" for an extra battery a factory option or something we do ourselves or ?

Lakeliving: How do we know if we're looking at the newest Yamaha 115 motor? The one on the "build" list is the 115 HP 4 Stroke 20". Is that the new model?

Anyone: Can a person drive around with the optional Blue Ice LED lights in the bimini top? I've added it, then took it out, now I'm back to thinking about adding it back in!ahhhh

THANKS for your help!!

Grizz: you have the 22SFX, do you also have a trailer? If so, what kind with the Express Performance Pkg. center tube would you recommend?

Anyone else with tips, input very welcome!

The cowling is different on the redesigned 115 along with some mechanical changes. The built site won't specify as it is hp based. I would just make sure your dealer has it in writing you want he new one. I think they begin shipping sometime in q2. You might have to wait on the motor but it would be well worth it in my opinion.

Wouldn't some of the model designation numbers also be changing ?

I don't have the epp package, only two tubes ! just a standard tandem axle trailer is what I have, and some have said that will work on the tri-toons as well, but check first , not all trailers are alike. mine is a TENNESSEE trailer. they also make trailers for tri-toons.

Here is a previous topic on LED's

http://club.benningtonmarine.com/index.php?/topic/1809-perimeter-led-lighting/

Your battery is coming from the factory ,if you have your dealer install a second ,check with him on the quality of it .

You will also need a new "dual switch" with 2 .The dealer gave me credit for the single that was installed at the factory 
The battery is dealer installed and doesn't come from the factory. I had an automotive battery in our boat that lasted 6 years.

The battery is dealer installed and doesn't come from the factory. I had an automotive battery in our boat that lasted 6 years.
I was not aware of that ,thanks Carl 

Now I have more questions for him before delivery .

to me, the sealed strakes are worth the extra $....I think last week we talked about the sealed strakes added more lift or buoyancy. the wave shield is very important for a two log, whichever one you prefer,  kinda like a good, better, best, situation. but with the tri-toon configuration that becomes less important or effective according to others here on the forum.

As others have said, the quality auto batteries work just fine as starting batteries for any of these outboards in reasonable weather. 

Almost every auto/marine battery is made to a brand spec by one of 3 major manufacturers - Johnson Controls, Exide, and Delphi. The dealer usually installs a "house" brand since they get them wholesale. Whenever I've bought a new boat, I always spec the battery I want, and ask for a credit against the rigging fee for whatever they included as standard. I had Optima Blue Top AGM's in my other boats and have 2 DieHard AGM's (same as Odyssey) in my Benny. Both work well.

Mercury, for whatever reason, does require the dealer to install AGM's for the Verado line though. It's not so much for just the starter, as it is to make sure all of the electronics modules have sufficient voltage during the starting cycle.

I would have figured the maximum horsepower rating would be 150 hp on an EPP hulled boat.

A raised helm would be nice, but would be a luxury at the prices charged.  And I don't think it's available on the S models.  Not important to me.

The ski pylon is an expensive option, however it's required if you're going to be doing water sports of any kind.

There's a big difference between the 115 and 150 horsepower motors, as the 150 runs much quieter and smoother at cruising speeds.  Tubing when going slow can be a pretty boring experience, and the larger motor lets you also pull skiers, etc. at normal speeds.  My F150 is just so much more seaworthy than my previous Yamaha 115 boat.

My Express Package doesn't have sealed strakes, as they're just open on the rear.  I don't leave my boat in the water so it really doesn't matter.  Performance would be the same.  Sealed strakes are more for salt water usage.

The standard under deck sheeting with the Express Package works just fine.  The front three feet that's not sheeted is out of the water when running and it's not an issue.

As far as battery, I would have preferred a name brand battery than some generic unknown brand deep cycle battery.  I certainly don't expect to get a long lifespan out of the battery the dealer provided.  There again, my boat came with very little gasoline in the tank--a petty issue.  His profit maximization was distasteful.

I do have the blue LED's on the bimini top.  Never used them once, and it's not an important option to me.

One option that's very desirable is the extended aft deck.  It's an expensive option, but it makes it so much easier to enter and exit the boat.  It's also very nice to have so much room when coming in from swimming, and it's so much easier landing the boat when you have somewhere to walk without the seating in the way.

very well said Bamaman !

Lots of good advice Banaman but I have to add my 2 cents.  Different strokes for different folks but I love the LED lights.  In addition to the bimini lights we have the cup holder LED's, side lights and the underwater lights.  We love our sunset cocktail hour that often lasts till way past dark and the LED lights compliment the perfect mood.  We are having additional LEDs installed at the floor, just enough to light the floor without being overbearing.  So once again it is how and when you use your boat

Max on the 22 footer is 115.  The 24 can go 150.  200 with SPS.

I was told that the 22SFX max HP is 200 with SPS or ESP. I ordered a 21 SFX and I am going with SPS  and a 150 hp.   :)

I stand corrected. The SPS hull bumps up the hp on both.

Back