My Weekend Project

Ha ha ha ha.  Oh man.  I was skimming posts quickly backwards up from here (I normally go to the end, then read backwards until I get to the posts I've already read before).  I thought you guys were talking about painting your Bennington and not a dock!!!  I hadn't read anything on this page before since it was all posted today.  I guess both conversations were mixed in, which probably is what got me side tracked.  But man, I thought you guys were nuts when I heard you were painting the side of your boat flourescent yellow, then when I scrolled up and saw that blue paint sample, I was thinking WTF????  You painted your Bennington with that???  At one point I was thinking maybe you painted the vinyl floor of your Bennington with it (where you were talking about it being hot on the feet)!!!  Even after I finally saw the picture of the painted dock, I was just thinking you must have had extra paint left over so you painted your dock too!  Maybe this is only funny to me, but I was really thinking "what the hell is wrong with you guys?"  Ha ha ha.

Even when clrd said "I wish I had a dock.  Blue looks good to me" I thought he was talking about two diffferent things.  I thought to myself, yeah, I wish I had a dock too.  I had no idea he was talking about a blue dock.  Hhahahahahah.
I enjoyed reading this .

I have done similar things here ,just never told anyone .

Thanks for the close ups. Color looks great. How did it fill in the spaces between the boards? Or didn't you have to worry about that?

swiftm

I did have checks in the wood with some cracks at 1/4 inch 

The product filled them well

I even had a knot actually a small hole from a knot in one board the product is so thick it filled the knot

For a dock I am completely happy 

On a deck I am still unsure

The concern being as you move and sit on your patio furniture 

The wear and tear is of concern

Only disadvantage is not being able to have access to decking screws or nails after using products

In the north shoveling the snow is a concern off deck with a shovel , people would be able to use a plastic shovel

Just my opinion 

Pittsburgh-Sports-Logo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha ha ha ha.  Oh man.  I was skimming posts quickly backwards up from here (I normally go to the end, then read backwards until I get to the posts I've already read before).  I thought you guys were talking about painting your Bennington and not a dock!!!  I hadn't read anything on this page before since it was all posted today.  I guess both conversations were mixed in, which probably is what got me side tracked.  But man, I thought you guys were nuts when I heard you were painting the side of your boat flourescent yellow, then when I scrolled up and saw that blue paint sample, I was thinking WTF????  You painted your Bennington with that???  At one point I was thinking maybe you painted the vinyl floor of your Bennington with it (where you were talking about it being hot on the feet)!!!  Even after I finally saw the picture of the painted dock, I was just thinking you must have had extra paint left over so you painted your dock too!  Maybe this is only funny to me, but I was really thinking "what the hell is wrong with you guys?"  Ha ha ha.

Even when clrd said "I wish I had a dock.  Blue looks good to me" I thought he was talking about two diffferent things.  I thought to myself, yeah, I wish I had a dock too.  I had no idea he was talking about a blue dock.  Hhahahahahah.

I really wanted a red pontoon but painting it would not be the best idea

Too funny 

Rustoleum also has a similar product called "Renew". It does the same thing that "Restore" does but it isn't as thick and doesn't leave such a rough surface..........

I'm way off topic again as usual but I noticed someone said the vinyl floor on the boat gets hot and I was just thinking about the vinyl decking we put around the concrete deck around the pool to finish to the fence and it gets scorching in the sun. Would a indoor/outdoor carpet runner be a good idea down the center of the boat?

I would say yes

Most of us want to be bare foot on the boat 

The vinyl after a day in the sun is going to be hot

I would do the runner 

It will be softer on the feet as well

I was going to do indoor outdoor on the dock due to the sun

Even with the restore 10x it is going to be hot on the feet

Fortunately on the dock we have a hose which could run non stop 

Water here is free ,with no pressure problems ......

People on the west coast can't relate to that !!!!!

fireman_water_hose-1.gif

Either I have thick feet or everyone that chimes in on this topic has tender feet. I have not had an issue

with me or anyone on my boat.

LOL 

Its better to have thick feet than a thick head

Some people walk on cobblestones other can barely walk on wood floors

Firewalk3-199x300.jpg

Amen to that!

Power washing the patio today still a bit chilly 51 

Tomorrow a trip to Merco Marine for dock accessories 

Will be placing two additional posts on the dock midway for support 

17705368.jpg

Haven't been able to do anything due to rain and cold 

The long term forecast has to be better 

I have a feeling a May 1st pick up of boat will not happen 

I would say yes

Most of us want to be bare foot on the boat 

The vinyl after a day in the sun is going to be hot

I would do the runner 

It will be softer on the feet as well

I was going to do indoor outdoor on the dock due to the sun

Even with the restore 10x it is going to be hot on the feet

Fortunately on the dock we have a hose which could run non stop 

Water here is free ,with no pressure problems ......

People on the west coast can't relate to that !!!!!

fireman_water_hose-1.gif
I know everyone else picked yellow for the sides but I think you should make it look nice like an extension of your property. Maybe tan to match your rocks. Lake property should calming. How about white? Would look nautical.

Thanks for the comments and concern for West Coast folks, you're right not much rain here but you can't beat the sunny days. We are hoping to retire on a lake too, maybe Texas.

1TiredLady,

I too am leaning toward white just for the added visibility at night 

The tan would be great but not as noticeable at night

I plan on having spot lights on dock and boat 

The more visibility the better 

Love The West 

Lived in San Francisco 3.5 yrs Placerville 1 year and the Mojave, San Diego, Mission Bay, La Jolla as well

Unfortunately in 2014 the number of people outweigh the precious natural resources

Desalination is a necessity to settle California's water problems , though expensive 

57931538.jpg

Getting a lot of rain 

Unable to work on dock at present 

Soooooooooo

I have seeded the lawn heavy

50 pounds of seed !

Due to the installation of sea wall and rip rap

The yard took a substantial hit

Contractor laid some seed 

BUT 

Nowhere near enough

So with all the rain seeding made sense

man_seeding_grass_2_ha.gif

Looking forward to a thick lawn  :)

With all the lawn food I used beginning of March and the seed 

Scotts Is Loving Me 

What a loop we put ourselves into with yards.  We pay to seed it, we pay to feed it and kill weeds, we spend hours and $$$$ to cut it when we would rather be out on the boat.  When our neighbors moved to the Sonora Desert, they left all the lawn equipment in  the garage for the new owners.  

What a loop we put ourselves into with yards.  We pay to seed it, we pay to feed it and kill weeds, we spend hours and $$$$ to cut it when we would rather be out on the boat.  When our neighbors moved to the Sonora Desert, they left all the lawn equipment in  the garage for the new owners.  
I did the desert in the Mojave 

Not my choice of lifestyle

With ride mowers , lawn care has turned into a pleasure

The days of push mowers were miserable

Seeding, fertilizing and for most the watering gets expensive

Fortunately here watering is not a problem

One of the advantages of summer for me is landscaping

I love the smell of fresh cut grass

BUT 

Should we still be raking leaves from November in May (lol)

Our yard was sprayed today! Mowed for the first time last weekend.

The dock needs in total another 500.00 to get it ready for Benny 

Clock is moving fast but the weather is still wet and chilly 

Will stain the sides and place accessories on before next weekend.

2080706-sailor-illustration-an-illustration-of-a-handsome-strong-jawed-sailor-at-the-ships-wheel.jpg

We are back to some good weather 

The project is back on 

Picking up (4) 12" Aluminum Cleats 

24' of bumper cushions

bumpers.jpg

(4) Dock Fenders

boat_fenders_1.jpg

And 2 more pipes with augers on dock for more stability and strength 

Painting sides of dock white with Restore Solid Stain ....

717650470007lg.jpg

White 

Back