New playpen cover

keithkz

Reaction score
So the time has finally come to where I must get a new cover as the original one (2005) now has a hole in the top front area and two different canvas places have said the cover is too thin to sew a patch on it.  I called my local Bennington dealer in Jackson, MI and to no surprise that idiot (sorry, but he is) quickly said I wouldn't be able to get a cover for my boat due to the age of it and that "even if you could it would be like $2000 or something crazy expensive like that."  So, I hung up and immediately called Wilson Marine in Brighton, MI (largest Bennington dealer in the state) who was incredibly nice, helpful...and....wait for it....wait for it.....said that indeed he CAN obtain a cover for my boat directly from Bennington for $1521 (installed, because although it comes with a bag of snaps, they have to line it up with the boat when they put the snaps in the cover).  He even gave me the part #.  They also have an on-site canvas repair shop (which I already knew) and said that they could also make one for my boat insisting "It's a little better quality than the ones Bennington puts out."  He said that their store uses Sunbrella material and I forgot what he said Bennington uses but he feels the Sunbrella is a little better.  Their price was a little more at $1625 (again, installed).  It would take 2 weeks for them to complete this (meaning, no boat for me to use for 2 weeks).

So, which should I do?  Just go with the Bennington cover or Wilson's?  The thing is, they are a good hour away from me.  What I am thinking about doing is calling the idiot dealer near me here, give him the part number of that cover so I can order it through them and get the snaps installed at another local canvas place near me.

I would defiantly not deal with the idiot dealer. Where I live an hour away does not seem like much. As far as the cover choice ask what kind of guarantee is included with each. But I think I would lean towards the dealer's canvas shop.

I would not purchase another thing from the idiot who obviously does not understand the value of service.  When it comes down to a warranty issue do you think he would fight for you?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not purchase another thing from the idiot who obviously does not understand the value of service.  When it comes down ton a warranty issue do you think he would fight for you?
Nope, not a chance.  This is same idiot that when I was in there 2 years ago asking for him to order me a part for my Bennington flag pole, he finally got flustered because he couldn't figure out the part number (and this is the OWNER) looked at me and said "You know what?  It's not worth it....for what....a $3 part?  Go ask another dealer...there's lots of them around."  I could not believe it.  And mind you, I went in with a calm mood and look on my face...said lots of 'yes sirs' to him being polite.  So imagine my jaw dropping when he said that all of the sudden.

So I have spoken to the local canvas repair shop here who actually just repairs a small tear in my seating on Tuesday of this week.  She said that they typically use Aqualine material and that is what Bennington uses.  She said it's cheaper and is very water tight.  However, she said they typically last 5-8 years for those of us who don't have our boats on a covered hoist.  She also said if a pole falls down during a rain storm and the water pools it will stretch the cover and there's no way to un-stretch it if you will.  The Sunbrella is more expensive but will last 10-12 years however it is not as water tight.  When I mentioned not being concerned about that cuz I would just put good ole' 303 weather protectant on there she stated that is exactly what they recommend and said Sunbrella themselves also recommend.  They are 3 weeks behind however they would only need my boat there for a total of 5 days.  Price, $1666.32 out the door and that's basically making it exactly how my cover is now, with the 4 boot wraps on the bimini poles with the ties, the padding all around where the snaps are, and completely covering the bow.  Looks like that is what I will do.

Keith,

I live in Jackson county.  I recently purchased a 2014 scwx and tried to get "idiot dealer" to sell me a boat to keep business local but the quote was ridiculously higher.  They forced me to Wilson Marine.  While still not stellar in performance it did seem much better.  I think you would be happier with service after the sale at wilson even though I understand it is a drive. 

My 2008 2250RL's mooring / playpen cover was made with the Sunbrella material.  It was heavy, bulky, and took more effort to install and remove.  My new 2013 2575RL's mooring / playpen cover is made from Surlast.  It is lite weight, folds up to half the size, and is effortless to install and remove.

Wilson's is a great place. We purchased our boat through them last year and I have had a great experience with them so far.

My experience is Wilson has pricing to start, then you have to haggle and haggle. They do have one heck of a service and parts dept though. And they are only a couple miles from my house.

I'd go with factory. It lasted this long.

The original covers for us with older boats is Sunbrella and those with new boats is made out of Surlast and they are different. I think the Sunbrella will last longer.

Depending on what you are using it for, you can get a decent custom made trailerable cover for the money you are talking. Take a look at the one in my gallery. It was about the same $$ as you are talking and it's heavy duty. If you go lighter material it will drop the cost.

Well I found a 'trailerable' cover for my exact model boat on Ebay last night for under $400.  Boy that's a lot cheaper than what everyone else wants but I question the quality.  But then again, if it's really trailerable it has to be pretty durable.  It comes down all around the boat like yours too.

For $400 I'd get 5 if they are like mine! Lol that's a great deal if it can even be modified to fit snug, you'll still be money ahead.

Keith I'm in the same boat as you brotha...........I've been contemplating a new playpen cover for the past couple years. Although it's still doing the job..............IT LOOKS LIKE CRAP AND IS BADLY BADLY FADED. I'd post a pic on here if I had one. Anyway there is a local canvas/upholstery shop here that will make one for me snaps and all for under $1000. All I have to do is tell him it's a go. I guess I should have done it over the winter while it was in under roof storage. Let the local guy do it.............

I paid $1100 for a true heavy duty trailering cover that included an engine cover. Because it is a totally waterproof material it is very heavy.  They placed a zipper in the middle that splits the cover in 2 pieces.  Makes it easier to handle.  Pictures in my gallery.  Your pricing might be high because of the time of year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you contact Tumac directly ? I emailed  a question in the past ,they answered the same day .

http://www.tumacscovers.net

I emailed them late last night...the one in Lansing as that is only a little over 30 minutes away from me.  I'll wait until I hear from them otherwise I'm gonna pull the trigger and have the one made for $1666 at the local place near me using Sunbrella material.

I wonder why they stopped the padded ring around the cover. Wife's family's 06 r has it, ours doesn't

I wonder why they stopped the padded ring around the cover. Wife's family's 06 r has it, ours doesn't
Yeah I already told the canvas place here that I wanted that so that is included in that price.  I love that feature.

I have both the factory cover of Surelast and a 30' Sunbrella boat lift canopy. As someone mentioned, the Sunbrella is very durable however it's also going to be very heavy on a 25' boat.

Back