New purchase advice needed

Hatya

Reaction score
My wife and I are ready to replace our Bennington 2250 and upgrade to a Tri Toon. We have been extremely happy with out Bennington over the past 12 years or so. The only reason we are replacing the boat is our lake has become very busy and we feel the tritoon will handle the rough water much better.

We currently have a Yamaha 75 and if the wind is just right we can hit 20 mph LOL... but that’s fine as we didn’t buy the boat for sport. I have a bass boat that runs 70 and my brother in law has a ski boat at our house for tubing and skiing.

We use our pontoon to drive about 1.5 miles to the sand bar where we spend quite a bit of time and drive back. Then occasionally enjoy some evening rides around the lakes. We have a large family, its not unusual for use to have 10+ people on the boat.

So we’ve started searching for new boats and instantly we realized the price of pontoons has gotten way out of hand. I would never have guessed I could spend 100k on a pontoon. But I have to admit the QX25 is simply a piece of artwork on the water.

OK I must digress and get to the point.

We are currently looking at a 25ssbxp, mostly to stay in budget. Ive done some research here and chose many of the upgrades I think we want, then I get to the hull and engine. In reality I wil not ever tow anyone. We have other boats for this, and honestly my wife hates going very fast, she’s fine up to about 30ish then I get things thrown at my head LOL.

THis being the case I cant see going large than a 150 engine, and I’m leaning toward the SPS hull. But the reality is I don’t think we would ever utilize the benefits of either the hull or the horse power. Now with that being said I don’t want an underpowered boat, and I am getting a 25’ boat for passenger capacity. It seems I will need the SPS hull in order to get the max passenger capacity so im fine with that, but I’m also thinking if I can save the cost of the SPS and go with an EPP and a 115 Pro XS I could move up to a G or R series.

Am i being to frugal on the engine/hull here?
I really don’t want this boat for speed, but when I pack it full of people I do want to have the power needed to cruise in the 25ish mph range.

I feel as tho the upgrade to a tritoon alone will vastly improve the ride in the rough water. But from experience I know there are times when the water gets rough I need some extra power to handle the waves.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We have the 150 with SPS and love it. Even if you don’t use it for water sports it is smoother and quieter in rougher water. The 150 gets me off the lake quicker if the need be and don’t forget resale value.

I have a 24’ SSBXP with SPS/200hp and really love it. I think you’d be fine on the s-series based on your intended use, even though the G’s and R’s are certainly great steps up. My initial thought is go with the SPS/150hp set up because it will be such a great ride for you and your company. It will also give you solid power if ever needed. Finally, that combo hits a sweet spot for resale value should you ever get rid of it.

However, with your intended use, I can totally see the EPP/115hp combo meeting all your needs. I absolutely think you could get away with it. I don’t see it retaining the resale value the other set up would have, but it sounds like you keep boats long term based on your last Bennington.

Honestly, I could see you being very happy with it, whether you did it and stayed with an s-series to save $, or did it to step up to a more robust G series, or more robust AND plush R series. I think you are in a win-win situation no mater which direction you go in.

However, with your intended use, I can totally see the EPP/115hp combo meeting all your needs. I absolutely think you could get away with it. I don’t see it retaining the resale value the other set up would have, but it sounds like you keep boats long term based on your last Bennington.

I may have to disagree with only this part of your statement. If he regularly has 10+ people on an EPP with only a 115 he is going to feel like pulling out oars to help move it along. Sorry, I should add, in my opinion. Granted it is better than what he currently has, but to spend all the effort and money to upgrade to something that is "marginally" better, seems like a waste.

Think of it this way, if you currently had a tri toon with a 150, there would be no reason to upgrade at all. It will do all you will probably ever ask of it for many many years. Not to mention you won't have to wait till the wind is just right, you can make your own! I will say that the S series has come a really long way in the past few years, I do like the R trim / design of seats and helm, so I would be scouring the internet looking for a deal on 'old' new stock.

We had a 115 on our S with EPP. It did not perform well tubing wise, but it could hit 35 mph. All 6 toons have lifting strakes. Seems that would suit your needs.

One thing that surprised me with the 150 is it uses LESS gas at the same mph as the 115. It doesn't work nearly as hard at each mph. Something to consider as part of long term savings.

Cruising speed of our 150 is 20mph at 3000 rpm. It burns about 3.5 gallons per hour at that speed. That's with a light load, 4 to 6 people.

If you’re looking at a 25’ with 10 plus people and light cruising I don’t think you’d want less the SPS with a 200hp. May sound like too much but our 24’ fully loaded still will get up and go if needed and the SPS/200 has handled 12 people without any issue out running a storm, they always tend to flock to our boat in that situation! A 150 will work lightly loaded but I think you’re going to notice a noticeable difference once loaded. Last but not least and re-sale aside, you’ll probably be surprised how much more you’ll use this boat once you have it!!! That combination is fantastic!!!! Just my 2 cents! :)

For me I don’t like being dependent on using others toys so I’d get a motor/toon configuration that can do both cruising and water sports. Given the length you are looking at I would go with at least 200. The weight of people adds up fast.

We had a 115 on our S with EPP. It did not perform well tubing wise, but it could hit 35 mph. All 6 toons have lifting strakes. Seems that would suit your needs.

One thing that surprised me with the 150 is it uses LESS gas at the same mph as the 115. It doesn't work nearly as hard at each mph. Something to consider as part of long term savings.

Cruising speed of our 150 is 20mph at 3000 rpm. It burns about 3.5 gallons per hour at that speed. That's with a light load, 4 to 6 people.

How did the performance change when you had 10 people on it? My understanding of the 115 (I only had a 90 on a 20' ) was that it wouldn't have the low end power to get through 10 people, not to mention a 25'. I never had it, but comparing how my 90 would bog with a full load I assumed the 115 wouldn't fare much better.

My boat runs 37-38 with my normal family (inlaws/bil) 5 adults 2 kids and all the junk. When I had 12 people on it for fireworks on the 4th I didn’t push wide open but we were cruising 28-30 without any issues, probably had a little more to go if needed.

I had a 115 on my first Bennington which I owned for 10 years. We had 10 or more people on it many times and it did fine. You would only move 15-18 MPH. I know for the most part this forum hates the 115 but it can be a very nice motor depending on your use of your boat.

The performance of my 115 on my RL is pretty close to what AliceDream says number wise but for me that is somewhat unacceptable as I carry a large number of people fairly often and have always wished I bought the 150

The OP may also want to at least look at the Elliptical package. It supports weight very well with over a 1,000 lb more buoyancy than a regular twin tube and is faster than any other package with equal HP. Bennington's own tests show a 2275 with a 115 Yamaha doing over 35 with two and lightly loaded. If water sports is not in the picture then the Elliptical package may work and the increased buoyancy will be less effected with loaded. However with the 150 the same hull will do over 40...

I have a 22' with the SPS and a 150. I would recommend the SPS with at least a 150 for your intended use. And don't forget Power Steering!

I will second what JPeraino said and whichever model you choose do not omit the Power Steering AND do not forget the Power Assist....

I will second what JPeraino said and whichever model you choose do not omit the Power Steering AND do not forget the Power Assist....

My advice on this may be considered heretical but if you use your boat as I do, slow cruiser and have never pulled a skier or towable, basically a straight line beer loving shoreline cruiser then I wouldn't buy the power assist especially if you end up with the 115. My boat is not hard to steer or turn without it and I have never missed it or wanted it.

Link,
Interesting vote for non Power assist. Now, I have a 150 and would not be without the PA. Yeah, I know the torque difference between the 115 and 150 is great and I could most likely make it work without it but for docking and using one finger to spin the wheel around when needed is worth it for me.
I know it is an expensive option but one I would choose over several others but not having a 115, that is just an opinion.
Since you have the 115 without PA would have to give what you say credence however If I choose the 115 on my 21 footer, it will still have the PA but then I could try it without an always add it later....

I haven't missed the power steering on mine either... I think that a lot of the need comes from the desire to toss the boat around, which I don't do (often). The only place that I would like steering help would be spinning the boat for docking and a knob on the wheel is a fine substitute. My $.02 for what it's worth. :)

Chris,
Are you running the 150 without either PS or PA or just the PA as I see SeaStar Steering in your boat description?
On a side note, what speed do you get with the 2275 Elliptical and the 150?

Sea Star is hydraulic steering.

Given the new configuration you are looking at I would go with the 150 HP and Sea Star Hydraulic Assist steering. I would always prefer to err on the side of more power than needed. I don't believe I have ever seen anyone write on this forum "I wish I had gotten fewer HP."

Back