PDX Hosedragger / Tommy ??????

I have a set. Not as big as a firefighter however.

Being part of the communications team, Tommy, do you get extra compensation?????

In my old department they have a group of officers/officials that are designated to do on scene interviews. Reason being the media would grab any officer and ask them questions and sometimes they would answer inappropriately or release information that wasn't intended for public knowledge. These officers/officials are trained and compensated..........

Nice PDX, thanks for sharing

I'm a property claims adjuster and deal with this on a daily basis. Fires suck. It'snot just lumber and walls that burn, it's your kids pictures, art projects, heirlooms. Who here has an inventory of all their personal property in their homes?

And if you don't know what a set is Dan, I have a feeling you have a high pitch voice!
My comment was a joke meant to make you all laugh.  I always put the "ha ha ha" after something meant as a joke to make sure what I say isn't misunderstood as being serious.  Of course fires suck.  A fire would destroy MANY irreplacable items in our home.  All the months of custom work we put into our house would be lost.  Not to mention being a royal pain in the a$$ rebuilding for a year or more afterwards.  And all that assumes the best possible outcome where everyone is safe and sound.  It would suck exponentially.

But, other than family members, there is one thing I would run back into my burning house for.  Our cat.  I would run back in, find it, tie it to something heavy, and go to the shelter for a dog before I get talked out of it again.  No "ha ha ha" there either, I'm serious, I hate that puking furball.  There, now all the cat lovers can jump on me too. 

Daril we don't use on-duty personnel. So on a rotation, and while I'm not working I'll be on call as a public information officer, which is why we have a team. It would be grueling doing it 24/7 in a large city. And yes, we get a little extra pay for the duty.

I know you were kidding Dan! One of my worst claims was a guy who started a large fire on the main level of the home and took his life in the basement with a firearm. Sad story. Another of our adjusters had a claim where the homeowner passed away. Two weeks later there is a welfare check and they find the body partially consumed by the homeowners dogs. We get to see some nasty stuff for sure.

Dogs ate him???  Are you kidding me?

Ever see cats do that?

Maybe we'll keep the cat...

Dan, I've got a freind that knows a guy who is related to a gal that can assist you with your feline challenge.

Tommy, good you should be getting paid extra for that. Nice work!

Have a good friend that was a Connecticut state trooper. He was a public information officer the last few years before he retired. That was his job. He had an unmarked Crown Victoria and he responded ANYWHERE in the state of Connecticut where they needed to address the media............

Kay, you're killin me about your cat! Ha!

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear it Daril.  I can mail our cat to you if you want it.

Sorry wife's allergic. If we walk into someone's house and she starts sneezing...........they got a cat..........

Add my cat to the pile.  It was a stray and it is the biggest mistake I have ever made with an animal.  It is food in/food out and could care less if you are around. 

Haha.......True quick dog story.......when my brother in law was growing up they had a dog that just kept getting into things, chewing things etc...... and fought w/everybody and other animals. His father told him to "take it for a ride" one day if you know what I mean......So they took it miles and miles away and dropped it off on the side of the road..............The next night they were eating dinner and they heard something scratching at the door and wouldn't you know it the damn dog was sitting there ready to come in!!!!!!!!!!! Til this day they have no idea how that dog made it back to their house.............

I have a similar story with a peacock, yes a peacock. Somehow one randomly showed up at our house while I was growing up. It would sit on the back step on the deck and just look in. It was pretty cool until it started making a mess all over the deck. We scared it down the road a couple miles and hoped it would bother someone else. Later that night the darn thing was up on the roof running around. I ended up shooting it with a paintball gun to get it off the roof.

The next morning it was back on the rear step. A guy my dad knew finically came over, netted it and relocated it to his farm. Some how he got his hands on another, they had babies and now it is a zoo at his house. They are pretty birds though.

Back