Perimeter L.E.D lighting

Would this perimter LED lighting work on an older boat like my 2005?

Also, any idea what the Bennignton dealership charges to install this? I wish I knew someone private I could hire to install this as I just do not have the time or the knowedlge to install this myself.
It should work on any boat that has a battery. It's just lights mounted under the deck and hooked up to the battery.

I haven't a clue what it would cost to install but I suspect it would be over 500 in just labor

Thanks

Alex...

Hey Jim- I finally got my boat out with some good weather and snapped a pic of the underside. Take a look in my gallery, my perimeter trim is actually extruded "E" channel, so I can adhere the LED's to the middle E.
That will make things much easier. Are you still considering drilling holes every so many feet to wire or zip tie the strips on as well?

If I go with using the existing extruded metal I won't have room for zip ties. But I will be getting clear flexible silicone adhesive and running a bead down both sides of the strip just for that added protection. I'm meticulous about inspecting everything on my boat before going out, so this will just be a quick 30 second checkbox to add to my list.

WOW, just WOW !!!!!! :wub:

Nice job PDX. My factory is only the Blue Ice but got to say that after seeing yours if I only had one color glad it is the ice blue

Looks great PDX!! Now you're really ready for your impromptu dance parties!! Haha

Most excellent!! And motivational - I gotta get going on my install.

*edit - Link, you wouldn't be happy that your single color is ice blue where I boat, Local Law enforcement hands out tickets and demands that blue perimeter lights be turned off; they claim blue is reserved for their use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. Looking through my receipts it looks like I did this project for around $150, although I had all the tools, connectors, zip ties, solder, hookup wire etc.

Tommy

Thanks guys. Looking through my receipts it looks like I did this project for around $150, although I had all the tools, connectors, zip ties, solder, hookup wire etc.

Tommy
Don't forget to add about $10 for a set of knee pads. IMO they are a must for this install. Otherwise have the bandaids ready for the scuffs.

Alex...

I'm going to have to say this is the most impressive installation I have seen for the $$. I will also say, if I had that on my boat, I'd be in trouble! The DNR and probably the cops while I'm trailering, would be on me constantly to turn them off. (Guess I'm going to find out next season, cuz I'm going to do this!)

VERY IMPRESSIVE!

Thanks PDX, I guess I am going to have to change out my boring blues now after seeing that video !

I thought I was done my tinkering for the summer ;)

I have been told that they, in our case, ODNR, only could have an issue is with "flashing" the blue color. Overzealous guys with badges ? Gerry

PDX Hosedragger, Giving credit where credit is due. Nice job. I have a 2375 GCW and will be tackling this project. Can you post your parts list with maybe links for purchasing. I've been following this thread but have lost the big picture thru all the posts of what you purchased.

PDX, how is the 1/2" X 45 mil 3M 5952 VHB industrial grade double sided tape holding up? What kind of surface prep work did you do - anything special? My '02 appears to have the same E channel as yours, so looks like this weekend will be install time for me, and I will be following in your footsteps for mounting the strips.

PDX Hosedragger, Giving credit where credit is due. Nice job. I have a 2375 GCW and will be tackling this project. Can you post your parts list with maybe links for purchasing. I've been following this thread but have lost the big picture thru all the posts of what you purchased.
eBay search: RGB SMD 5050 LED (60/meter). Then make sure that the items that pop up are NOT 3528 LEDs. The 3528 are separate LEDs per color, so every third one is either red green or blue, whereas the 5050 are 3color chips.

Then get the 44 color controller.

PDX, how is the 1/2" X 45 mil 3M 5952 VHB industrial grade double sided tape holding up? What kind of surface prep work did you do - anything special? My '02 appears to have the same E channel as yours, so looks like this weekend will be install time for me, and I will be following in your footsteps for mounting the strips.
Jim I actually never used the VHB tape. The led strips came with a 3M adhesive on them. But just to be sure I ran a bead of liquidnails clear adhesive like caulking along both edges for the full length. Then I gooped it on the connections to seal them up. I'll post more pics later, of the forward section. The metal changes, so I actually veered off the track onto the deck bottom to follow the contour of the log nose cone. I used the glue there as well.

So one thing I added was a length of RGB cable in line with my Port side wiring connected at the amplifier, that runs to a 3-LED section of strip. I have this affixed underneath my stereo splashguard shining down at the floor. This is merely to give me a visual indication of what color/pattern is being displayed outside the boat without hanging my head over the side. :)

Great idea PDX, I'm going to have to do something like that.

On the VHB tape, I found it did not adhere well to the silicone sheath on my double waterproof LED strips. This may be why the strips did not come with mounting tape already installed.

On the port side I ended up installing zip tie mounting blocks to the underside of the deck (with SS screws of course) and then zip tied the strips up against it. On the starboard side I zip tied the strip right over the existing split loom encased wire run which was already screwed to the underside of the deck. As soon as the rain lets up I will wire in the amplifiers (like you I moved the amps to the beginning of each 21 foot run). Then after wiring up the RGB wires, it's show time!

*edit - just noticed this is post 200 in this thread. Great topic tecthis!

The rain didn't let up enough for me to complete the install until this morning. Won't be around tonight, so pictures will have to wait. BTW - had some ground loop hum coming from the stereo caused by the LED controllers. I ran a separate ground wire from the head unit chasis to the ground for the controllers and most, around 95%, of the hum has been eliminated. I'm probably going to tie into the head unit ground wire in my quest for 100%.

Back