QX line

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can try Bennington ( 888 906 2628 ) ,but the dealer that did the rigging provided and installed the batteries .
If the dealer that serviced it found no issues , have them prepare a statement and try Interstate and the selling dealer .

Thanks Jack. I asked him if I was the reason the battery no longer worked, he said it was probably defective. He didn't write anything like that on the receipt. That's my fault I should have asked him. I will see what I can do. Thanks again Jack!

Another thing I just remembered , if Interstate or the selling dealer do agree to reimburse you , they probably want the core back as well .

I would both take a video of leaking fluid, and collect a sample. I would then provide directly to dealership service department and ask clearly did they take it for a water trial or just test in the work department service bay? Then go from there as that would be a major concern for me on a motor.

As for battery, I would follow up with a request for a statement about it being defective. For warranty coverage, my understanding has always been that the work needs to done at an authorized Bennington dealerhsip service department (after getting warranty approval. To a degree, there are procedures for getting warranty coverage, and if I remember correctly, pre-authorization is required. So I am not sure if reimbursement is an option in situations like this or not. Worth checking, but be prepared either way.

All of that said, you should not have a defective battery on a newer boat, and I would have expected it covered by warranty. Hopefully reimbursement can happen based on getting a follow up statement from the mechanic that changed your battery originally about the original being defective. How frustrating.

Finally, my personal opinion. I would never take my Bennington to a non-authrozied dealer. It has a great warranty. I’d always want it serviced some place where if the warranty was applicable, it could get submitted as a warranty request first.

Yes I am learning something new every day. I did not realize that the battery was an accessory to the engine. Therefore, the battery is Bennington's responsibility not the Mercury dealership. From now on I think i will try to other Bennington dealership and let them handle issues or maintenance from now on. The reason I went to him in the beginning was to change the oil after 10 hours. Instead of going to all of the trouble trying to get my money back, I think I will just eat this one. Probably be hard to prove I did not run it dry.

It can get complicated sometimes. With boating, the learning curve is real. ;) I know I leaned on so many when we got ours, particularly the incredible people on this forum. I’m always learning, and often not knowing enough. :)

At least it’s not a major amount of money. That said, I’d still follow up and see if it could get taken care of. If you can get a statement and the old battery, then there is no harm in checking. Particularly since that a battery shouldn’t fail in less than a year on a new boat.

It can get complicated sometimes. With boating, the learning curve is real. ;) I know I leaned on so many when we got ours, particularly the incredible people on this forum. I’m always learning, and often not knowing enough. :)

At least it’s not a major amount of money. That said, I’d still follow up and see if it could get taken care of. If you can get a statement and the old battery, then there is no harm in checking. Particularly since that a battery shouldn’t fail in less than a year on a new boat.
Yea I will give it a shot and see what happens. Yes thanks to everyone for your input and help with everything. Happy Easter to everyone and enjoy a three day weekend. Hopefully I can get some boating in.

Yes I am learning something new every day. I did not realize that the battery was an accessory to the engine. Therefore, the battery is Bennington's responsibility not the Mercury dealership. From now on I think i will try to other Bennington dealership and let them handle issues or maintenance from now on. The reason I went to him in the beginning was to change the oil after 10 hours. Instead of going to all of the trouble trying to get my money back, I think I will just eat this one. Probably be hard to prove I did not run it dry.
The battery is not Bennington's problem. It's the dealer that rigged your boat. They don't come from Bennington with batteries. It's a dealer install.

The battery to power steering is fused on my boat. Blown fuse is a common solution to power steering problems. It hangs right off the battery. But you may not have this.

Last edited:
I just looked at the batteries on my boat. It says 24M XHD Interestate Starting Batteries. So these are not AGM batteries? From what I was reading it looked like they are mostly used for starting your car. I definitely don't want to get stranded out on one of the other islands, about 45 miles away, where we beach and listen to the radio all day. These also only have a 1 year warranty which to me means they probably won't last long. I'm going to have to contact my dealer to find out why they didn't put in AGM's like Big D and Jack said. Also the batteries were not marked when they were installed so I have no idea really how old they are.

Jack...I was looking for it in the Mercury manual and couldn't find out the info. And it's not listed on the paperwork. Do you have a link where I can find that info?

It's in my manual that they gave me at the time of delivery.
Here is the number for Mercury, 920 929 5040

Thanks Jack. I found the 450R Installation Manual and here are the battery requirements per Mercury Marine;
12V AGM battery, Series 31, 1000 min marine cranking amps (MCA) with a min reserve capacity of 190 min RC25 rating.

What I currently have are (2) 24M XHDs;
12V (does not say AGM), I don't know what series unless it 24, 1000 (MCA) and 135 min reserve capital (RC).

***From Mercury Marine...Battery manufacturers may rate and test their batteries to different standards. MCA, CCA, Ah, and reserve capacity (RC) are the ratings recognized by Mercury Marine. Manufacturers that use standards different than these, such as equivalent MCA, do not meet Mercury Marine battery requirements. NOTE: Do not use an engine starting battery that does not meet the specified ratings. If a battery that does not meet these ratings is used, the electrical system may perform poorly.

So from what I can tell, I have 2 cranking batteries and it does not say AGM anywhere. And also the RC in mine is less than the requirements from MM. I would think I would need something more powerful to run all the accessories; the arch, radio, digital assist, bilge, trims, etc.

The battery is not Bennington's problem. It's the dealer that rigged your boat. They don't come from Bennington with batteries. It's a dealer install.

The battery to power steering is fused on my boat. Blown fuse is a common solution to power steering problems. It hangs right off the battery. But you may not have this.
Yes I do have one but it wasn't blown.

Julianna
I sell Interstate batteries and have for years. The battery you have is not AGM and does not have the cranking power Mercury recommends. 800 vs recommended 1000 CCA. I assume Mercury recommends this for the R engine as it probably has high compression, but I do not know for sure. Also Interstate has an excellent customer service and warranty program. It should have been under warranty from Interstate and the guy who installed it should have checked with Interstate. It does not matter who originally put it in. The battery has a date code but only an Interstate person can figure it out. If in warranty they will replace for free.

Thanks guy I appreciate the comments. I will take care of this tomorrow. Now it makes since when I was lowering the arch to go underneath a low bridge, it sounded like it was losing power to come down. Just a slow grinding sound like it was going dead.

Thanks again and Happy Easter to all!

Julianna
I sell Interstate batteries and have for years. The battery you have is not AGM and does not have the cranking power Mercury recommends. 800 vs recommended 1000 CCA. I assume Mercury recommends this for the R engine as it probably has high compression, but I do not know for sure. Also Interstate has an excellent customer service and warranty program. It should have been under warranty from Interstate and the guy who installed it should have checked with Interstate. It does not matter who originally put it in. The battery has a date code but only an Interstate person can figure it out. If in warranty they will replace for free.
Excellent information! Unbelievable that the rigging dealer didn’t comply with Mercury’s requirements. I suspect this isn’t the only place that they cut corners…

Excellent information! Unbelievable that the rigging dealer didn’t comply with Mercury’s requirements. I suspect this isn’t the only place that they cut corners…
yes that's what I am afraid of. Thankfully you guys are a wealth of information. I would have never know if I hadn't posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back