Welcome to Club Bennington

An official club forum for Bennington boats

Login Register

Really good BBQ grill for your Bennington?

Discussion in 'Owners Chat: Options and Upgrades' started by dannyleininger, Nov 26, 2017.

1. dannyleininger

dannyleininger Active Member

With delivery expected in middle January we are now focused on the “stuff” needed for our Bennington.

I’m looking for a great BBQ grill for those dinner cuises that I envision happening! What are you using? How/where do you attach or use a grill????

Thanks

2. Spoiledrotten

Spoiledrotten Well-Known Member

I had thought about mounting one on the previous Benny, but quickly decided that I didn't want to risk splatter and any other kind of mistake to happen while on the boat. I have a couple of portable grills (smaller Weber kettle) that we take with us, find a sand bar, and use it there. I haven't even thought about putting one of the new Benny. Not happening; at least until it's 8 - 10 years old.

3. Michiman

Michiman Well-Known Member

Hi Dan, great question in my opinion! I can see the excitement is building. We have the mid-ship bar so I have plenty of counter space. As such, we purchased a Magma freestanding grill and over two years it has worked great, even on some pretty windy days. Yes, you can have some grease splatter but we purchased a large silicone mat to put under the grill which has kept the boat clean. We enjoy grilling hamburgs, brat, chicken, etc. on our boat because we do not live on the lake. Obviously, with grilling comes risk of a mishap, but also great reward.

Spoiledrotten likes this.
  4. royal4

royal4 Well-Known Member

Michiman likes this.
  5. FAAbaddog

FAAbaddog Member

6. dmhflash

dmhflash Active Member

I don't like to grill "on" the boat so I use a portable grill. The two best compact models I have found are the Weber Q series and the "O grill 500". Each use propane cylinders and can easily be set up on the beach, on a portable table, or on the bow or stern floor. You can easily store a plastic or rubber grill mat or outdoor rug to protect underneath the grill.

7. Michiman

IMG_2257.JPG IMG_2257.JPG This is ours before we got the mat.

8. dannyleininger

dannyleininger Active Member

9. Michiman

We purchased the "Cabo" model, which is a no-frills gas grill. You have to light it by match and it has no front shelf. However, in two seasons neither has been a problem for us. We also got the padded grill case to keep everything in (grill, propane tanks, grilling tools, matches, etc.).