Sacandaga Fishing

Link

Reaction score
Every year there is an ice fishing contest on our lake the last weekend in January.  About 30 of our neighbors all go up for the weekend, only a few actually fish but we have a great time having cocktails and eating around a large bonfire to keep warm. 

With this being the slow time of the year for posting I thought I would put this up

http://www.gslff.com/contest_info

Thanks for sharing. Looks like a good time and there are some nice fish in there! I'd love to be on a bigger body of water. We all take turns catching the same fish in our puddle here. When we first moved to the lake the ice fishing tournament was cancelled two years in a row due to thin ice. This year we'll see what happens. There was finally a skim coat on it starting yesterday. Highs in the low 40's and rain later this week might change that.

That looks really good Jack

I really don't know what they do if there is no ice .

Ice is just starting to form up here and it is warming up again starting today .

I really don't know what they do if there is no ice .

Ice is just starting to form up here and it is warming up again starting today .
They move more stuff onto land if the ice isn't thick enough and will cancel the snowmobile drag races but the festival will continue - never been cancelled. I haven't been to it but friends have and it quite an event.

I have never been either ,know lots that have .I'll bet its quite the money maker for the area .

They move more stuff onto land if the ice isn't thick enough and will cancel the snowmobile drag races but the festival will continue - never been cancelled. I haven't been to it but friends have and it quite an event.

I think we should have a friendly fishing tournament for the members here. We can keep it simple and include a few common species most of us have access to like Bass (Large & Small), Walleye, Pike. The goal is to catch the biggest fish based on the species. This could result in multiple winners or maybe just one.  

Rules:

1. Angler(s) must follow all applicable local laws and regulations

2. Catch must be from the 2016-2017 season

3. Fish caught by friends and family can be used by the forum member when caught off of the members Bennington. If the member and his friends / family are fishing on a buddies (non Bennington) boat only the fish caught by the forum member while on that boat are valid for this tournament. (Thus an incentive to take the Bennington out!)

4. Photo including measurements must be posted here within 72 hours of the catch.

5. Winner(s) receive bragging rights and no monetary compensation

6. Have Fun!

Thoughts?

I think that's a great idea Lakeliving.  I don't fish so wouldn't participate but still sounds like fun.  Wonder if we could get Team Bennington to sponsor a small prize; hint hint Sue

You might want to give it a try Mark. Might have some beginners luck! Plus your lake seems to have some monsters in it!

I'm with Link, not a fisherman myself. There are plenty of fish here though, so maybe we should have a smallest fish prize too ;-)

Maybe two classes then.

"I don't fish"

"I fish often"

And I caught the words smallest largemouth last year!!!!

ED964CA9-5A73-4823-9CB9-173ECB4752A3_zpscoiaoa1h.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps "small" should at least have to be bigger than the bait  :)

it does show how aggressive bass are.  "I eat you no matter your size" 

So who's in? I'll self identify (seems to be the new thing!) as "I fish often"

More for us Jack!

How thick does the ice normally get Link?!?

Back