Sacandaga Fishing

Last year it was 48", which was the thickest I ever heard of.  This year it is not frozen over

I do not fish but I have considered trying it as I love eating walleye.  If I ever make it down to Florida I was going to go out on the ocean for the same reason.  I stopped in and spoke with one of the fishing boats, they suggested I start with the 2 hour which does not go out far at all and if I like it then try the 4 hour and finally graduate to the 8 hour.

So put me in as I do not fish and I'll see what happens

You'll be hooked once you get out in Florida. Trust me....

Wahoo_zpsebaa5c6a.jpg

We went deep sea fishing once off the coast of Negril in Jamaica .

4 of us out over 4 ours not even a bite .

One of the guys ( not me ) created some chum to use  ,that didn't help either .

That's a bummer. We had some decent luck during this 4 hour trip. You can see there are some more fish in the cooler. Here is a video with a special catch and release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0ApnIBhJKY

Myself ,I dont think the crew knew what they were doing . It was an excursion from Sandals one of the years we were there .

We did have a good time though ,except for our friend that created the chum .( one too many Red Stripe ,he blamed the diesel fumes ) 

I watched that Lakeliving, could see the city in the background and see how close they were to shore fishing.  That would be a good place for me to start 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I tried fishing, here is what happened

I would be in. It would give me an excuse to start throwing lures while anchored in various spots. I fish somewhat, my Dad is likely thinking about fish right now... and now... Yep, still thinking about them. I think it would be hilarious if I pulled in a Muskie while just hanging out on the boat jamming to Zac Brown or Eric Church...he would be pissed

We are pretty cold here right now (9 degrees)  so the ice will probably be thick enough this weekend to get out and drill some holes. Lets get this tournament started!

Ice is still too thin up here ,even the news is telling people to stay off .

Open water on the bay ,that is the reason we are getting the lake effect .

WOW, very surprised the weight of the front didn't drag the truck right in.  The tournament was cancelled this past wekend but there were still some that ice fished, they had to be careful though as there are some areas of the lake that are still open water

As large as that festival is, I am surprised the authorities let people drive onto the ice there .

I saw on the news this morning that it was said to be a "pressure crack " 

You wont catch me out there .

WOW, very surprised the weight of the front didn't drag the truck right in.  The tournament was cancelled this past wekend but there were still some that ice fished, they had to be careful though as there are some areas of the lake that are still open water
Could be shallow ,front end hit bottom ? 

No mention of that yet on the news .

The ice fisherman pulled off our lake yesterday. With temps near 50 and rain yesterday the ice had to have thinned out.

What a tragedy that could have been avoided. I went out and drilled a couple holes yesterday to scope out our ice. It is about 4" with the top one inch being very soft. I only ventured out to where it was 3 to 4 ft deep.

lakeliving, how much ice for safely walking on, for the weight of an ATV/UTV, for a car/truck?

I fell in on Lake Erie ice fishing with my Dad when I was 14 .I was lucky .

I got cold and was heading back to the car .I stepped onto a glazed over and snow covered  hole where a shanty had been . I was able to catch myself with my arms ,as it turned out I was in shallow water .

I have not been ice fishing since .

Back