Spring Projects Before Hitting The Water

Neat Semperfi.  A couple of years ago after I got tired of the painting the moldings around the windows I had a company replace all the window moldings with AZEK, they even got creative making details with it and I love the maintenance-free aspect of it.  However I know what it cost, how are the pavers priced?

My dealer states when you factor in ALL costs such as base prep, installation speed, etc.... They should work out same or less than traditional pavers. I forget the exact number but average person can carry say 1 sf of regular pavers, you can carry 4 sf (or more)of these. You can also use the thin ones to cover an existing wood deck, concrete patio, etc. They are also more forgiving around a pool or patio if you have kids running around and falling. They are basically shredded tire rubber.

Last edited by a moderator:
When any company is in business there are issues.

I did some homework on AZEK since it is a product I have no experience with.

Like most here I live in SNOW COUNTRY and expansion contraction due to cold is a problem.

Our roads are a yearly expense due to pot holes.

BUT

Deck lawsuits against Azek consolidated in New Jersey

By Catherine Kavanaugh
STAFF REPORTER

Published: February 28, 2014 2:22 pm ET
Updated: February 28, 2014 2:24 pm ET

Three lawsuits alleging PVC decks made by Azek Building Products and its parent company, CPG International, Inc., contain design and manufacturing defects and were deceptively marketed are being consolidated in New Jersey.

The decks are susceptible to cracking, discoloring, fading, chalking and degrading shortly after installation, according to the most recent lawsuit filed in January by a married couple in Massachusetts.

Their case was transferred to New Jersey on Feb. 25. The pair is joining at least 15 consumers from other states in suing Azek and CPG for breach of implied warranties, unjust enrichment and negligent misrepresentation, among other claims.

The other two lawsuits were filed in New Jersey in 2012 and Illinois in 2013 and include plaintiffs from Maryland, Virginia and Connecticut.

Two similar lawsuits filed in New York and Florida were voluntarily dismissed, according to court records.

Scranton, Pa.-based Azek and CPG are being represented by the New Jersey law firm of Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney PC. The firm issued a three-paragraph statement to Plastics News on Feb. 27 that says in part:

“It is our policy not to discuss pending legal matters. We will continue to defend our company and our products against what we believe are meritless claims that relate to only a tiny fraction of the millions of feet of our product in use. At our request, these few lawsuits have been consolidated in New Jersey federal court, and motions to dismiss are currently pending.”

CPG ranks 13th among North American pipe, profile and tubing extruders with estimated sales of $260 million in the fencing, deck and railing end markets, according to the latest Plastics News ranking.

Its subsidiary, Azek, sells tens of thousands of decks annually and placed first in the quality category of Builder magazine’s 2014 brand study of composite and PVC decks. The results were obtained by mailing a survey to a sample of the magazine’s 10,800 readers.

CPG President Jason Grommon said in a Jan. 21 statement that Azek has topped the Builder’s quality category three years in a row, which “reaffirms our consistent and unwavering commitment to manufacturing excellence.”

However, the lawsuits allege otherwise. The court filings say the defendants’ design and material choices created a product that begins to fail immediately even if perfectly installed in its intended environment.

One lawsuit references Azek’s “engineered” deck boards and another says titanium dioxide powder is released from sun exposure and forms a surface layer known as chalking.

In its statement, the law firm says, “Quality and customer satisfaction are top priorities across all our product lines. Our decking and railing products meet or exceed national building code requirements from the International Code Council and Architectural Testing, Inc.

“…We have full confidence in all of our products and continue to stand behind their performance. All of our decking products are covered by a limited lifetime warranty. We respond to every customer inquiry that comes to our attention.”

However, the lawsuits say Azek deck buyers are being denied warranty coverage because the warranties are limited to performance issues and not aesthetic problems. The warranty says it is void under seven conditions, including “normal weathering of surfaces.”

So my homework continues, keep in mind as well on composite decking like TREX's it is susceptible to scratches from patio furniture .

The only advantage of winter is we can do research before tackling our projects !

AZEK-Procell-Decking-Defects-lg.jpg

Please keep in mind I am not passing judgement on AZEK , I am just researching it's product as a consumer

Red Flags are always a cause for concern which require more investigation

DSC_0448.212233856_std.gif

It's just AZEKS turn. TREX had (have) their lawsuits too. EVERYONE does. It doesn't matter the product or person. If you have deep pockets you will be sued. Sadly it's human nature anymore. How many friendships have been lost due to our sue happy society. Passenger on your m/c, car, boat, etc...... Visiting your house ..... It doesn't matter. Sad to say money overrides friendships anymore. I've been threatened with lawsuits so many times, luckily they've all been crying wolf. Not that I'd lose, but the cost to defend can be more expensive than just paying out. Big business does it all the time.

Just making a point that some of the lawsuits have nothing to do with the "product" but the nature of a product that's out in the weather 24/7 does not make it defective. Companies have learned not to term "maintenance free" anymore as if someone just had to hose it off, they got sued for false advertising. It's really disgusting anymore.

I have not noticed that with mine in the two years it has been up.

So true 

I couldn't imagine not having an Umbrella Policy to protect me and my family.

cute-umbrella-drawing-0569-colorful-umbrella-vector.jpg

Speaking from experience Getting Sued Is Not Fun 

The sad part too is, how many have colluded in a large lawsuit so both parties can benefit? Hey, the insurance companies paying, right????? We all pay in the long run..........

TRUE and NOT TRUE

If the case has MERRITT 

I have no problem with Class Action Suits 

So many companies anxious to sell their product conceal certain facts

Cigarette Companies come to mind 

Pharmaceutical Companies come to mind

Asbestos Based Products come to mind

Takata Air Bag comes to mind 

So I support Merritt Cases being compensated

But individual law suits need to be reviewed closely 

Unfortunately that costs as much as going to court

And insurance companies cry a deep river 

BUT 

They are some of the richest companies looking at ways to screw consumers

Just my humble opinion

Denied.png

Oh I agree whole heartedly.

And if you do use Trex, don't power wash it. I know what it does.

I power wash mine in the spring and fall with no issues.

And if you do use Trex, don't power wash it. I know what it does.
It is true you can scar the composite, wood, siding, ruin paint and even break glass !!

Too many people use too much pressure with power washers

Cant tell you how many scar their wood decks with power washers

Pressure-Washer-Damaged-Wood.jpg

Like any thing you only need the absolute minimum amount necessary 

A tool used correctly gives amazing results when used incorrectly is a nightmare

pwb.jpg

I would be lost without my power washer (LOL)

Carl, you probably have "old" Trex. The composite type. The new Trex is PVC capped so there's not the big issue with fading, staining, and pressure washing damage. Eventually I feel all manufactures will either go PVC cap at a minimum, or exit the market due to liability claims.

It's from 2006.

I had a Trex deck/screened porch at my old house in Virginia. Built in 2000 and it looked great even when we sold our house in September of 2014. It was supposed to be maintenance free but the only issue we had was mildew..........and the deck was in full sun for most of the day. I just hit it with a spray bottle of bleach and water and rinsed it. Other than that..........Fantastic product!

I need the weather to Break

Get To The Big Box Stores and Compare

A normal time line for a project this size

Maybe a week for most

For me with some luck and help 

Working 8 - 12 hour Days on project

Two Months 

From Start to Finish 

If The Weather Cooperates

metro.gif

Is it Lunch Time ?

Our home builder power washed our trex decks after the one year warranty touch ups etc as they had some paint drips. I did notice that I caused mildew buildup pretty quickly. Done in July.

We have had some harsh winters the last 2 years here in Ohio and it has held up with some fading but granted-it takes the morning sun thru evening.

So far we like it.

Projects for me: re painting and caulking my all wood shed/garage at the lake. Looks great but I spent too much on it and don't want any issues so a little waterproofing ever couple years doesn't hurt.

Lifted golf cart batteries need replaced (130*8 ouch)and adding a 48 to 12 converter to properly have it wired and adding disk brakes for safety.

You guys are scaring me. I think I need to check the PH level in the pool. Then I really need to cruise the toon over to the gas dock and top off the tank and pick up another bag of ice for the cooler. I like my Pepsi frosty. :D

Cheers, Steve

Back