Storage Warning/Lesson Learned

skipperbill

Reaction score
After researching this Winter storage matter to death and having multiple discussions with the marina "experts", I have still been faced with disaster. I stored my tritoon in my garage with the toons resting on cinder blocks with 2X6 pieces of wood on top (just to prevent any sharp concrete points from puncturing a toon). Well, all seemed well until later this afternoon when I noticed a significant lean to the right. Long story short, after an emergency removal of the boat, the weld between the rear end cap and main part of the toon had failed resulting in near catastrophe. This pic doesn't do the urgency any justice. The motor was nearly half submerged by the time we were able to get it pulled out. I am at peace knowing that I stored this boat exactly as recommended and I saved the motor and it's insured.

Wow. Glad you got it pulled out in time. So it was supported at the end cap and it failed? Wouldn't that be a warranty claim? Glad you weren't out on it as it starting going down.

I had the privilege of providing the first bit of drama for the lake. A couple of boats followed me to the boat launch out of concern. The kids, wife and I had docked it, I made the few calls I knew to make, had dinner, it was then even lower in the water. Luckily, I am friends with the right people and we were able to make it an emergency. It is baffling. The service manager came to pick me up and was awestruck that the weld right where the V keel ends at the seam with the endcap was pushed in and pouring water out. The lesson learned is, for such a heavy boat, I can't imagine how they can recommend this boat be stored on anything flat. I'll have to take more pics but am obviously not going to store it this way again. Ugh. The manager claims it will be repaired and back by Memorial Day Weekend.

This is a pic of the front but it's the same as in the back...right at the seam.

ugh...well, that's what insurance and/or warranty is for.  Seems odd that the weld would break like that.

Glad everyone is safe and the boat is mostly intact!

Also glad you'll be up and going by the big 3-day weekend.

Everyone is safe that's all that matters. Glad to see they will have you back in The water by the long weekend,

Unreal! Had to be some kind of defect or it was dropped or something................

Wow, I stored both of my previous pontoons that exact way for 20+ years, never a problem. Sorry it's happened but glad everyone was safe. Hopefully they can get you back in business with minimal disruption.

How is the boat lowered onto and picked up off of the blocks? I've normally seen them on the ground with some old tires underneath. I would think that would be better as there are no "solid, hard" edges to possibly crease or dent the pontoon. Is that correct? Also wouldn't it normally be recommended to support at the center weld as well? I'm not saying that what you did was wrong, simply asking if doing it with tires would be better or worse for future people.

I'm going to doublecheck mine but the manager at Wilson told me to use the big styrofoam blocks ( about 12-12-18 inches) that you can get from tractor supply (or other big box stores that sell utility trailers). They get them when their trailers come stacked from the factory and usually just throw them away. I got them for free. I was concerned they were too tall so I cut them in half before I used them. Put one at each of the 3 welds. I do use a borrowed crank trailer to set it down on them. They are self cushioned and seem plenty strong to support the weight of the pontoon.

Last edited by a moderator:
May not be a matter of how it was stored, but rather how it was brought out of storage? Or when it went into storage? I wouldn't think it just sitting on blocks would do this...

That highlights one nice thing about a pontoon boat. You'd have to rupture many pontoon chambers to sink it.

I agree with kaydano because I have seen many pictures of dealers stock on the internet where I see pontoon boats laying direct on the ground

We talked once about making a "forum approved" dealers list... Don't post the bad ones, just the good ones. The rest can be inferred.

This is the last photo I'll bother the forum with. As u can see, the weld at the seam failed. I would think this would be a warranty item. Anyway, the boat is at the dealer and I'll certainly be following up with them soon. I am definitely not going to be storing it the way I have...although there have been anything wrong with that technique.

I'm just glad the launch is pretty close. The motor was really getting low in the water with the back right corner nearly submerged.

1.) glad everyone is safe

2.) your are not bothering the forum with photos. A picture is worth a thousand word and if it helps only one person it's well worth it.

3.) yes it should be a warranty item. If it's not I'd be very surprised.

4.) things happen to the best if us not everything is perfect all the time. My motor puked all over itself; I still love that lil bugger. ;)

I too am glad your situation wasn't worse.   Some people might put the boat in the water and leave--and come back to a sunk boat.  Been there, done that on an I/O outdrive bellows that leaked.

This could happen to anyone.

I store my pontoon on a rack with the toons sitting flat on six 2x8's.  It's no problem at all storing them flat if the structure is supported lengthwise.. 

And I often see toons sitting on the ground at dealerships on big chunks of styrofoam.  Looks like they're so much easier to winch back on a trailer when they're off the ground a couple of feet.

I hope these copied okay. Just shows how impressively low my boat was riding with the right toon filling with water. The latest news is the boat is being looked at this week and they seem to think the seam can be welded. Ugh. Hopefully back by Memorial Day.

Back