Storage Warning/Lesson Learned

Wow. That would be scary!

It looks bad enough, I imagine from the helm it felt really scary. 

I am surprised that a multi-chamber pontoon would take on that much water to cause it to lean and drop like that

I thought the whole idea of multi- chamber was to eliminate that 

I wish you well . please let us know if it is an insurance or warranty solution 

Round Pontoons with Airtight Individual Chambers: These usually feature at least three often more distinct individual chambers per pontoon. They offer all the efficiently and most of the moat repairable of the above baffled style pontoon. The airtight chambers should they be hulled only allow water into the individual chamber that received the damage. The airtight chambers offer outstanding safety due to this compartmentalized design. However this may be the most labor intensive design to produce and manufacture and often reflects accordingly. The only real drawback to this design is should there be water infiltration into the pontoon. The only way to remove or drain it is through a usually small plug at the top of the individual affected chamber usually by siphoning though small hose. It is a slow cumbersome process should a substantial amount of water be involved.

pittsburgh.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Abandon ship! Abandon ship!

Wow. I had no idea just one section with a leak could be so bad.

Holy guacamole!! Those are crazy pics!! I agree, I would be freaking out sitting at the helm! Hope it all gets fixed promptly and your floating level again. Sheesh, you could have probably given some of those wake boarding boats a run for their money

I agree with Pittsburgh, let us know if more than one chamber was breached

I'm curious too. I'll have lots of questions for the shop. Also, as seen in the pics of the underside of the tube, the weld bead looks pretty shoddy...not quite the quality I was imagining. Waiting patiently for them to take a closer look at it as they have been pretty vague about whether I'm gonna be on the hook with this.

I've been looking at that pic more and more. Is it just me or does that back edge look like it's folded or bent like it was caught by something or the edge of the toon hit something. It looks flattened right behind the keel where the weld failed (?).

It's too hard to see in the pics if the weld let loose or was "pulled" from each other.

I find it interesting that much water got in. How does the air get out? Are the Bennington pontoons chambered?

Also can't envision how the storage method aggravated the seam failure unless the weld sticks up enough to be pushed in .

I would make sure after they weld it up they somehow air test it to make sure it is pressure tight.

I believe that by looking at the last picture of it in the water that it is only the one section that is ruptured. You can see the weld line right below the Bennington logo, which is also where it starts to float up out of the water again. Good luck with it all. I'm not going to lie though, I will be surprised/impressed if this has as quick of a resolution to it as your dealer is hoping for. I do hope it happens, as that would be pretty amazing!

I find it interesting that much water got in. How does the air get out? Are the Bennington pontoons chambered?

Also can't envision how the storage method aggravated the seam failure unless the weld sticks up enough to be pushed in .

I would make sure after they weld it up they somehow air test it to make sure it is pressure tight.
I was thinking the same thing. There must be another opening to let the air out so water can come in from below...

Depending on fuel tank level-lot of weight back there, then water in the toon at 8 plus pounds a gallon..

My port lounger didnt have a drain hole and filled up once and had me dangerously low. Bailed and bailed.

Considering I had the trailer driver take me to the gas station first and filled 'er up with 45 gallons of gas, it's still a wonder I didn't sink like a rock. Granted, it's in the center toon but still. Anyway, hopefully will have an update tomorrow.

Good Luck SkipperBill

I was thinking the same thing. There must be another opening to let the air out so water can come in from below...
There is vents on the top of each chamber. if you look on the top of the toons you will see a bushing welded on the toon with a plastic plug with a vent hole in it. 

Talked to my Service and Sales Managers yesterday.  They both seem to think that the crack is not too bad and is right on the seam so welding it will not be a problem.  They are going to get it in the shop early next week for repair and deliver it to my dock prior to the holiday weekend.  Whew!  After asking if I'm gonna be on the hook for this, the Sales Manager said "Absolutely not.  You stored it exactly how we recommended and have been storing pontoons forever."  He went to say that they have had this issue with a few of the heavier ESP tritoons lately.  They no longer recommend storing them on wood or cinder blocks but instead foam blocks.  There you have it.  I thought that was a lot of weight to be storing on four points, strong weld seams or not.  Long story short, I'm gonna come up with a better plan when storing it next Winter.  Let this be a lesson to us all.  I am so relieved that they are ponying up on this and giving me priority for repair!     

Back