Things I would change (formerly Regrets)

Big Bernie, My friend has a 21SLX with a Yamaha 150 & SS prop and he did 44

Bernie's topic belongs elsewhere, but you guys replied before I could make it happen.

Please, from this post on, reply to Bernie here: 

Just thought of a 3rd regret...

Not water testing. Luckily I was beyond happy with my purchase! In hind-sight, knowing what I know now. I could go to almost ANY dock for a day and start talking to folks and I guarantee somone would take me out and try to sell me on their boat.

If you're looking to buy and you see somone on here with a boat close by. Shoot them a PM, I bet they, or somone they know would be more than happy to take you out on the water. I know I would...if I had a boat...:(

Of course, this is just my opinion...I could be wrong.

Bigger motor(never had plans of pulling a tube,  but now the wife wants too and upgrading just the motor is well....EXPENSIVE).  Sharkhide before going in water! I didn't custom order my boat so factory sharkhide wasn't really an option, but definitely should have done it myself. Tritoon or ESP package, maybe a bigger boat too,  lol. We thought this would fit us great,  but were a little off. 

Considering this is our first boat,  it was a good starting point and we ate really finding out what we will want on the next Benny. 

None the less, we love our boat.

I have the normal regrets, bigger/faster/etc.  If I'd known what I know now I'd up bumped up to the G series for ESP and the 250HO as now the boss won't let me upgrade.( she wants a new job first...go figure!) the one that drives me nuts to this day was not putting some form of protectant on the seats before we put in the water, they are 100x easier to clean with it. Would of paid for it if it was an option! One last piece is the raised helm, if you can afford it, it's well worth it. Didn't do it once it came down to it, miss it! I really do love our Bennington, as its only an S series boat I get constant compliments and suggestions that's it a lot more expensive than what we'd paid for it. 

I would love a raised helm! 

This topic came to mind after reading another thread in which a new purchase morphed into a discussion about the size of the motor.  I am not sure if this exists already, but I thought it would be a good spot for owners to communicate their regrets or mistakes when purchasing their boat.  Thus it could serve as a more concise reference instead of having to scour through hundreds of threads.  For example, I added the extra wide captains chair on my 2014 2350 RBR.  I love the chair, but it narrowed the walkway between the chair and the bar counter enough that I wish I had gone with the normal sized chair.

I have a regular size helm chair but upgraded to the reclining "G" series.  I probably wouldn't have thought of the reduced space cause of the wiDer chair. Easily overlooked point.

Regrets ...

I have a few , some would say too few to mention (lol)

Should of retired at 35 

To enjoy this life sooner :)

123945898.jpg

Regrets ...

I have a few , some would say too few to mention (lol)

Should of retired at 35 

To enjoy this life sooner :)

I hum that song each time I read the title of this topic!

After 2 full summers with my G if I would do anything over it would be to go with the Seagrass through out the boat and have the snap in carpeting for when I wanted carpeting. Otherwise I've been very satisfied with my choices.

After 2 full summers with my G if I would do anything over it would be to go with the Seagrass through out the boat and have the snap in carpeting for when I wanted carpeting. Otherwise I've been very satisfied with my choices.

We have the standard vinyl floor and really like it.  The seagrass would be awesome though.  The snap in carpet is our next upgrade consideration. Nice having that option.

Just got my 22SSX....150 is plenty! Broke 40 (by about .2) last weekend. You'll love it!

Excellent! I have one coming. 40 is my goal. What prop did you get? Oh, and Merc or Yami?

If you have a goal in mind. I like what someone did (maybe okiedave?) They provided a stipulation to the deal that it must hit "X" before he took delivery. Very good idea.

No regrets at all with our Bennington or what we ordered on her. My only regret is that we have so many things we enjoy that it's hard sometimes to chose between them. I'd love to spend every good weather day on the river, but also would want to do the same on one of my motorcycles. 

Things could be worse I suppose! :p

No regrets at all with our Bennington or what we ordered on her. My only regret is that we have so many things we enjoy that it's hard sometimes to chose between them. I'd love to spend every good weather day on the river, but also would want to do the same on one of my motorcycles. 

Things could be worse I suppose! :p

I love my Harley, problem is last summer my riding was down about 80% because of my new TriToon!  I will not sell my bike, but when you have kids it is difficult to tell them you are going on the bike and not the boat.

I love my Harley, problem is last summer my riding was down about 80% because of my new TriToon!  I will not sell my bike, but when you have kids it is difficult to tell them you are going on the bike and not the boat.

When I had my Donzi Sweet 16, I mostly boated solo. Don't think I've ever boated solo on the Bennington. There's always someone who want to go along.

Buying a 2016 20 SSRX in November and hauling it home to put in storage without ever hitting the water. Still haven't heard the 70 Yamaha fire! Looking at snow and 30 deg. today!!!!

Agreed.  I would think unless you already have a boat with the extended deck, you probably can't quite appreciate what the extra $ gets you in added functionality.  I think the extended deck is one of the best upgrades for the money.  I'll qualify that by saying we get in and out of the water a LOT, and the extra space in the back makes a big difference.  It's also nice to have for fishing, especially when someone else is fishing off the bow.

Not sure I have a regret, but now having this boat I know for sure what my next one will be.  I will get a Benny Tritoon with the Windscreen for sure.  Some nights get chilly here in Maine and I miss the windscreen of my bowrider on those chilly night rides.  Makes a huge difference.

Scott... Where in Maine? We are in Saco!

Truer words were never spoken! The extended aft deck is the best upgrade other than SPS & 150 hp motor on our boat. Without it, it would almost be impossible to cover/uncover our boat since it stays in the water full time. It also serves as the men's room since it is a lot simpler than tending to the porta potty.  :p

Back