Tow vehicle

Must be a combination of the two (block height and radiator) because the info on the block and trans fitment issues came from Eric at Duraburb.

I have a 2010 Explorer. 4.0 L with 4X4. and extra tran. cooling radiator. Gets the job done at 10 GPM It works hard on interstate hills going up. Loves the other side of the hill though.  We pull to the lake weekly and during the summer pull to Lake Murray 100 miles each way. No problem.

It works hard on interstate hills going up. Loves the other side of the hill though.  We pull to the lake weekly and during the summer pull to Lake Murray 100 miles each way. No problem.
Reminds me of a story; going through Georgia years ago and pulling a heavy load we were accelerating down a steep grade so we could make it up the other side trying to maintain the 55 mph speed limit at the time. Well low and behold a Georgia State Trooper clocks us well over the speed limit. He pulls us over and his first question was; what were you doing pulling a load and going so fast? I explained that I was trying to stay near the posted speed limit on such a steep incline.... his answer to me; "son the speed limit is the same at the bottom of the hill as it is at the top".  He then proceeded to lighten my wallet.

Steve

I pulled mine on the highway for the first time, last weekend. It was about 100 miles each way. My 7.3 Power Stroke with the SuperChip programmer, yawned the whole way. It's used to pulling a 33' fiver, not a 3000# boat. It still pulled very well. I was pleased.

Last edited by a moderator:
My tow vehicle is a 05 Avalanche with the 5.3 and a 3.42 rear axle ratio.

I just picked up my new Benny.

It's a 2250 GSR.

My truck can only pull that boat in 3rd. gear and 9 MPG.

My old boat weighed about 4200, and was a bow rider,  but had no wind resistance and I got 15 MPG pulling that one.

What a difference pulling my nrw tube!

My tow vehicle is a 05 Avalanche with the 5.3 and a 3.42 rear axle ratio.

I just picked up my new Benny.

It's a 2250 GSR.

My truck can only pull that boat in 3rd. gear and 9 MPG.

My old boat weighed about 4200, and was a bow rider,  but had no wind resistance and I got 15 MPG pulling that one.

What a difference pulling my nrw tube!
Ugh, 5.3 with those tall highway gears is an absolute horrible combo for towing anything. How much oil does your 5.3 use? Have several co-workers who have the world famous 5.3 oil burners, one just had new pistons put in a couple weeks ago due to still being under warranty.

Wild and Free,

Mine is a 05 with 100,000 miles on it and it uses NO OIL (Knock on wood).

My truck is listed as having a 7200 lb tow rating.

It pulled the boat fine. Didn't know it was there and it didn't have the engine on it yet so the tongue weight was alot.

I believe the wind resistance on the tall boat is what killed my performance becaused it doesn't weigh any more than my bowrider.

The deck on my boat sat above the back of the truck so that the whole boat was catching the wind.

Just pulled a 9000 lb Baja 200 miles. Got 9.5 mpg. Pulling the Benny almost half the weight got about the same. But, I did not go over 65 with the Baja. I drove 75 pulling the Benny.

Just a lil old 2500 with a 6.0.

truck20amp20trailer_zpsvkajrqq0.jpg

Just pulled a 9000 lb Baja 200 miles. Got 9.5 mpg. Pulling the Benny almost half the weight got about the same. But, I did not go over 65 with the Baja. I drove 75 pulling the Benny.
What's the scoop on this baja you keep referencing? Spill the beans!

Trying to sell it for my BIL. anyone have extra cash Let me know. I was impressed my 5.3 did so well.

I looked at the 2015 suburban.  The 5.3L lists higher horsepower than my 2009 6.0L Suburban.  On E85, it picks up 40 more HP.  I don't like that they don't make a 3/4 ton anymore and the "hidden" 3rd seat row is a absolute joke. 3 showroom cars had the plastic parts broken on the 3rd row seats.  Was told that the higher beltline and smaller windows was for increased passenger safety.  Make sense but I don't like the new look. 
I agree. My last 3 SUVs have been Tahoes. I was looking at the new Suburban but  whatever they did to the rear side windows makes it look like a hearse.  Don't like it at all.  Tahoe looks fine, but the Suburban restyle isn't attractive to me.  I  also miss being able to manually take out the 3rd row seating.  Moving the kids back and forth to college allowed more room by leaving the seats in the garage at home.  Gerry

Good to see you back! Yes, every time I see the new Suburbans that is my reaction - a hearse, ugh.

It looks to me like a Dodge minivan grafted onto the back of a Tahoe.

I'd drive one though. One gets a premium fare with Uber for a black Suburban!

Had Suburbans since 1986 but the reviews on the Expedition with the ecoboost have me interested enough to go test drive it. 

Decided it was time to color coordinate. Just got a 2016 Blue tundra. It took a while to find the one I wanted. But as everyone knows, blue trucks pull more weight.

Cheers, Steve

Decided it was time to color coordinate. Just got a 2016 Blue tundra. It took a while to find the one I wanted. But as everyone knows, blue trucks pull more weight.

Cheers, Steve
Nice! I don't know about blue, but I've been thinking about a '16 Tundra too. 

Pulled my new Bennington 60 miles yesterday with my 2015 LTZ Tahoe.  If anyone is considering the Tahoe and you are going to haul your boat get the "max towing package".  It's rated to tow 8,300 pounds includes a 3.42 axle ratio and built-in electric trailer brake controller with auto leveling.

411986974.jpg

411986975.jpg

Nice, if doing a lot of towing its money well spent

Back