Two way handheld radios

guardrail22

Reaction score
Received a pair of COBRA CTX 1035R handheld radios for Xmas,

Trying to understand enough to see if these will have enough range to allow boat to shore omen about 5mi range. We have lousy cell service and the Kids wanted alternate way for communication for us, they have 22 channels and I believe they wi11 tune to a ship to shore emergency channel also,

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not familiar with your radio. However, the answer, in my opinion, is it depends on your topography. I have used various two way radios in various situations. Some work better than others. A lot depends on the terrain. In your situation, there is one way to find out. Have fun going for a cruise and testing the radio with someone on shore. Then give us an update.

Cheers, Steve

Curious, what would you use handheld radios for, what do they do that cell phones can't do?

Curious, what would you use handheld radios for, what do they do that cell phones can't do?
It covers you where this is poor or no cell service, such as larger bodies of open water. They also allow more than 2 parties to listen in together.

Tom has hit on the main reasons. In my experience, we run various comms for off road/4wheeling/exploring. In many area's there is no cell service. Plus, if I am leading a run, I can broadcast to the entire group. We run CB radios, Ham and FRS/GMRS and cell phones. We set all the radios to common channels. Hence, if we have oncoming traffic, I can announce it to the group as a heads up. My tailgunner can broadcast if someone has a problem or gets stuck. Anyone in the group can make comments, such as history on a locale or joke or call for help. If we have to stop and go on foot, the two way radio allows an easy way to stay in contact.

Before I sold my Harley's, I carried 3 cell phones from different providers. I rode in areas where cell service was spotty. I also had a CB and two way. We use two way in many hunting and or fishing trips. I just recently bought another pair for the boat. It is to communicate with my cousin when he goes ashore to get the trailer and we coordinate. I would rather drop my cheap radio into the water than a $600 smart phone with all my info, contacts etc. I do take my cell phone on the boat and have a vhs radio as well. Unfortunately, we had to learn the hard way. My cousin jumped into the water to go ashore thinking it was "only" waist deep--and he was correct. Problem was he had his smart phone in his pocket. Now, cell phones are stowed and radios are used. If we need the cell it is easy to get, but is not in our pocket. :D

Cheers, Steve

I have a Baofeng UV-B5 UHF-VHF radio. I see Amazon has them for $40 now. I think I paid $28 or so a year ago.

Best Value 

Best Performance 

Best Hobby after Boating  (lol)

%24T2eC16N,!ycFIeD-G)O8BSe49KH5C!~~_32.JPG

Be A Ham

HamRadioGirl.jpg

[SIZE=23.6363639831543px] It's Addictive !![/SIZE]

[SIZE=23.6363639831543px]The Most Reliable Emergency Communication On The Planet !![/SIZE]

If I was sending an SOS, I'd be happy if anyone responded. Even in Kryzkrckstan.

By the way, if that country does respond, tell them to buy some vowels.

Ham radio has multiple bands which gives you different propagation to communicate with a huge variance in distance.

VHF -UHF could be just several states or your own state, 

Even on HF all bands do not give you worldwide coverage.

I am not pushing anyone into this but it is definitely worth a look.

Do some research if you are interested and want to talk about it , drop me a message and I will give u a call or vice-a-versa.

Ham Radio is amazing we use it for commuting back and forth to work and just calling the boat in for dinner or lunch

Think of it this way would u like to talk on your own lake with fellow boaters, the marina and coast guard with ease and have the opportunity to chat with your friend on Lake Powell or The Inner Coastal Waterways of Florida. Imagine hearing fisherman in Brazil or off the coast of Madagascar and just saying hello.

And I am not asking you to duplicate this 

FD401.jpg

But it is sooo much fun (lol) 

Those antennas are 2m 6m and tri - band 10-15-20m beam antenna

The truth is all can be done with one vertical (lol)

Below is more what the average boat needs for excellent communication

IMG00110-20100725-1338_zps7ee86a5e.jpg

Have questions message me , happy to talk with everyone always.

Ham radio has multiple bands which gives you different propagation to communicate with a huge variance in distance.

VHF -UHF could be just several states or your own state, 

Even on HF all bands do not give you worldwide coverage.

I am not pushing anyone into this but it is definitely worth a look.

Do some research if you are interested and want to talk about it , drop me a message and I will give u a call or vice-a-versa.

Ham Radio is amazing we use it for commuting back and forth to work and just calling the boat in for dinner or lunch

Think of it this way would u like to talk on your own lake with fellow boaters, the marina and coast guard with ease and have the opportunity to chat with your friend on Lake Powell or The Inner Coastal Waterways of Florida. Imagine hearing fisherman in Brazil or off the coast of Madagascar and just saying hello.

And I am not asking you to duplicate this 

FD401.jpg

But it is sooo much fun (lol) 

Those antennas are 2m 6m and tri - band 10-15-20m beam antenna

The truth is all can be done with one vertical (lol)

Below is more what the average boat needs for excellent communication

IMG00110-20100725-1338_zps7ee86a5e.jpg

Have questions message me , happy to talk with everyone always.
Lounge chair and Corona  too . :lol:

FCC has eliminated Morse Code requirements for Ham Radio Operators

Anyone with Basic CB Radio Knowledge could pass a Ham Test 

Local Ham Clubs give Free Classes to guarantee you get a license 

The tests are given by fellow Ham Radio Operators , usually the ones who taught the class

Tests are multiple choice

It is a very simple procedure

Newly Licensed Ham Radio Operators range from 5 years old to those who are 95

Once you are licensed you are licensed for life

KieMartin.jpg

I got my ham license in grade school.  Back then you had to pass a Morse Code test and a basic electrical and radio theory test.  I still remember my call sign:  KA0ILZ.  I let it go when I had to pay to renew the license while I was in college.  I didn't have much cash.  Something had to give.  Beer money won.  Ham license lost.  That was ~25-30 years ago.

Been thinking about taking the test off and on though over the last year or so, especially since I have a handheld radio.  I live a couple miles from Rockwell Collins headquarters.  So, tons of radio geeks around here.  I don't mean that in a bad way.  We're all Benny geeks here.  Geek just means you are an enthusiast.  Like the RC and drone geeks here.  Photo geeks too.  Now nerd is a fighting word, but not geek.  Just didn't want to offend anyone (heard of the Best Buy Geek squad?).

Anyway... a guy I work with is big into it.  He helps out with running races, bike races, community events, festivals, etc.  Hams have all the radio equipment, and they help out with communications during big events.  They man different checkpoints along a race route and help with traffic or whatever is needed.  They are the eyes and ears for the event organizers.  Could be an emergency they help with one minute.  Could be helping get bananas to the finish line the next minute.  They help in natural disasters by providing communications where the power is out (batteries and generators).  Anyway, that's how I'd explain what Ham radio is all about.  Plus you can BS with people from Kryzknkstan (where ever that is).

The question pool for each year's license tests are public info and are online.  It's something like a 300 question pool or so.  When you take the test, you have to answer 30 (or 50, something in that range) from that pool of 300.  But, you can read all 300 questions before you take the test.  Kinda like cheating, but they try to make it so people can get a license without a ton of effort. 

You can get a low-end handheld like the video above for ~$30ish.  I got one for the boat.  You CAN use it without a license in an emergency though.  That's not against FCC rules.  That's why I bought one.  Cheap.  Good range when then cell is out of tower range.  Lots of people around to hear you call for help, etc.

Kaydano,

I couldn't agree with you more 

I would like to see everyone in this community get licensed and have a Benny Net on HF

As you say being able to access the test and take sample tests online has major advantages

Honestly there is no reason why everyone shouldn't be a Ham

It's without question the best form of reliable communication on the planet

Some say "Old School" but I say exciting, reliable, enjoyable and amazing

I live close to one of The World's Biggest Guns with an Antenna Farm to die for 

BUT 

With my moderate station I have worked 300 countries and have never not enjoyed the hobby

It truly is The Best Hobby in The World

No matter what challenges a person has, they can enjoy the hobby to the maximum

0900vlrg.jpg

Who wouldn't want to play with one of these during a cold winters day or night. Imagine the temp in the Northeast is -2F and you are talking with a boat in the South Pacific off the coast of Tahiti. You routinely talk to the Caribbean, South America , Europe, Australia, Japan and form friendships around the world. If you want to keep it simple you talk to North America or just your own state daily with just a handheld.

21stCenturyLogo.jpg

The possibilities are endless

[SIZE=17.7777786254883px]I have talked to NASA astronauts on Sky Lab, International Space Station  and have worked in orbit satellites with handheld antenna and radios.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=17.7777786254883px]It is never boring and always exciting.[/SIZE]

Back