Water collects in front storage

smellymel

Reaction score
One afternoon, I left the cover off of our 2016 SLXP knowing that we would be returning the following afternoon and I saw no rain in the forecast.  The next afternoon, we found an inch of water in the front 2 dry storage bins.  No others.  Just the front 2.  We used the boat and attempted to cup out the water.  Oy.  After returning to the marina, we cleaned them out and vacuumed out the water.  After completely airing and drying the storage bins and removing all wet items inside, we properly covered the boat.  The boat sat for 4 days covered.  Removing the cover, we again found the front 2 storage bins with an inch of water in them.  How is that possible?  The first time we assumed since we did not have the cover on, maybe a small storm came through over night?  But the second time, the cover was properly secured.    

The compartments should have drain holes drilled in the water channels in multiple spots to allow drainage. It's possible some made it through without the holes being drilled. Dealer should be able to take care of it if you don't want to drill holes. 

As for where waters coming from, check the vent caps your poles pop into. It's possible it's cracked or not fitted properly allowing water to enter, run down bottom side of cover where it meets the seat, then follows down the seat back into the compartment. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My L lounger does not have holes drilled along the rim. It pools up when the little guy splashes in the livewell 

I also was quite surprised to find a similar pooling of water in the front port lounger. Later, I discovered that at the very front where a wiring harness goes through the deck, the hole was not sealed. I'm thinking/hoping that the water entered through the hole and pooled at the back due to some choppy conditions on the lake. Since I filled the hole with silicone last week, no re-occurrence so far. Hope my hypothesis holds up! 

We've only had our boat since July 1st. I keep finding water in my front storage area, too. There was no water after 2 heavy storms and it was uncovered. But I find it after driving fast and/or swimming off the boat with wet dripping bodies and wet deck (usually fast driving and swimming occur together, too). My plan is to throw water on the deck tomorrow and figure out where it's coming from. If it doesn't come from the top of the deck, I'm worried Michiman might be right and it is coming through a hole in the deck. I'm frustrated because the Bennington rep was at the dealer when I visited and he touted the storage bins. I don't understand why they have to compromise them by screwing them into the deck and then have drain holes. Tahoe had touted their open-to-the-floor storage areas saying they were vented and could hold our own storage bins if wanted, I'm thinking that might have been a better system. Cleaning our storage areas out constantly has put a damper on my satisfaction with our purchase. I just purchased some racks to keep things elevated off the bottom of the bins.

We've only had our boat since July 1st. I keep finding water in my front storage area, too. There was no water after 2 heavy storms and it was uncovered. But I find it after driving fast and/or swimming off the boat with wet dripping bodies and wet deck (usually fast driving and swimming occur together, too). My plan is to throw water on the deck tomorrow and figure out where it's coming from. If it doesn't come from the top of the deck, I'm worried Michiman might be right and it is coming through a hole in the deck. I'm frustrated because the Bennington rep was at the dealer when I visited and he touted the storage bins. I don't understand why they have to compromise them by screwing them into the deck and then have drain holes. Tahoe had touted their open-to-the-floor storage areas saying they were vented and could hold our own storage bins if wanted, I'm thinking that might have been a better system. Cleaning our storage areas out constantly has put a damper on my satisfaction with our purchase. I just purchased some racks to keep things elevated off the bottom of the bins.

I have my doubts that our problem is related to weather or wet swimsuits. And because we store things in there that we want to keep dry, I'm thinking of buying Dri-Dek panels to keep things off the bottom. I had them in the sole of my bowrider and they worked great.

I have my doubts that our problem is related to weather or wet swimsuits. And because we store things in there that we want to keep dry, I'm thinking of buying Dri-Dek panels to keep things off the bottom. I had them in the sole of my bowrider and they worked great.

I agree. Someone, maybe you, mentioned the panels in another forum. I ordered flexible ones (so they could bend and I could cut if needed) and installed them Wednesday. I only ordered one box to try them. Will definitely order more. I took our life jackets out of the seat storage, put them in some laundry baskets and placed them on the panels in the stern/privacy lounge area storage (mine in the 2075 is large). I also put them in the helm storage and put a couple of containers in there on top of them as well. The last 3 I put under our anchor and attached line so that stays drier also in the seat storage area.

I looked and the speaker hole makes sense. We had almost identical water amount in both front lounge seats at our worst time (almost a quart, it had pooled back by the headrest area). It would make sense that there might be splashing from the toons that comes up through the holes from underneath. We had been going fast in choppy water that outing. The smaller amounts of water we have seen could come from wet people etc. if the water seeps under the seat and up through the holes. When the deck gets really wet, the water has seeped under the helm and stern storage but dries out quickly. My front lounge storage areas have drain holes but I think the upholstery backing might be blocking them. I couldn't investigate the other day since I was alone. This weekend my husband will go underneath and toss water upward to see what happens!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GWCA7LM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nice. Very nice. I'll be following suit next week. In my experience, those mats are just thick enough to keep stuff dry under most conditions but not become slimy.

I also use the Dri Dek mats, particularly under the helm.  That's where I keep the grill (in it's storage bag) and I don't want it to stay wet from any water that might come on the deck and run under the helm.

One afternoon, I left the cover off of our 2016 SLXP knowing that we would be returning the following afternoon and I saw no rain in the forecast.  The next afternoon, we found an inch of water in the front 2 dry storage bins.  No others.  Just the front 2.  We used the boat and attempted to cup out the water.  Oy.  After returning to the marina, we cleaned them out and vacuumed out the water.  After completely airing and drying the storage bins and removing all wet items inside, we properly covered the boat.  The boat sat for 4 days covered.  Removing the cover, we again found the front 2 storage bins with an inch of water in them.  How is that possible?  The first time we assumed since we did not have the cover on, maybe a small storm came through over night?  But the second time, the cover was properly secured.    

I haven't seen a post from "smellymel" since s/he started this line. I'd love to hear what they might have found out.

However, we did a little investigating ourselves.

Soooo....we opened the seats to view while we 'played' with water.

Our 2075GL has 2 equal length loungers in the front, and an L seat in the back with a large stern storage/privacy area in the back. I took a bucket of water and threw it against the seats and across the whole deck. Water did not seep into any of the storage bin areas so the washers and screws must be working ok. The water did make it under the helm and into the back storage area. I'm glad I put the floor grids in those areas (see my earlier post). I think the water in the storage area came in through the door and could have seeped under the seats, too? In any case, the grids kept the laundry baskets and storage bins dry!

My husband went under the boats and splashed up lots of water. I did see water bubble up through the speaker wire in the port lounger where the wire hole is exposed. It wasn't a lot given the amount of water splashed but it definitely came through. My husband said it had silicone in the hole underneath but apparently not enough.

Since there is a cooler insert over the wire hole in the starboard lounger, I could not view any bubbling but I will assume it is happening there also? 

It seems crazy that we got so much water in there through those holes but I don't know what else to say! I did realize after we closed up the boat that I didn't throw water in from outside the panels where we get a lot of splashing when cruising fast  maybe that seepes under the bins and up the hole, too???

The original post said they got one inch! Any one else??

It's been two weeks since I calked the wire hole on the port side of the front lounger. Since then, no water in the storage below even though we have had plenty of rain. Yesterday was a very choppy day on the lake, but at the end of the day, no water to be found. Also had plenty of wet bathing suits with no apparent effect. 

As such, I'm going to conclude that my water problem was caused by that quarter sized hole not being properly sealed from the factory. I'm still ordering the mats to keep things directly off the bottom. 

Sorry for delay in replying.  I was 99% positive that it was due to rain when it is covered.  Unfortunately I has not rained in a week to test the changes I tried!  Thank you all for responding! First I have to say that water NEVER enters the bins during use.Over the week, it was used a lot!  Wet suits, wet dog, wet toys, peeing dog (oy). This past weekend, a bunch of drunks were falling over all it.  No liquid enters while in use.  Only when sitting while docked.  @SEMPERFI8387 yes there are drain holes along the rim of the seats that lead to channels that direct it to the floor.  There are NO drain holes inside which I thought was odd.  Over winter, we plan on storing it at the location where we purchased.  Adding drain holes to the floor will be put on the list of things that the marina can fix over the winter. I would do it but I don't need the husband crying about it even though I am 100% more handy than he is.  @DD2075GL YES our Bennington rep boasted of the dry storage bins as well. I checked the screws/bolts and those have a nice seal over them. But unless its fool proof, they need to add drain holes jeez! Yes I agree that cleaning the bins out is a pain.  And we have no choice but to haul out a shop vac to the dock to get it out.  As soon as it happened the first time, we stopped using the bins until we figure it out.  I do like those mats.  Even after the problem is solved, I will check in to those mats!   @Michiman The first time water built up, I tried funneling the water back out through the wiring harness hole.  It is slightly larger than the harness so I first thought it came in that way.  That hole is caulked EXTREMELY well.  I could not get a drop out.  And since that is the only hole down there, I quickly realized that was not the problem.  Again it has yet to rain to test out my fix and as I am 99% positive it only happens during a rain storm while covered, I am 99% sure we may have solved it.  @semperi8387 original comment regarding the vent cap and poles. I checked those. The front pole was VERY loose.  After thinking about I noticed that around 3 weeks go, after locking in place, it would slightly drop a couple of centimeters but it still locked and the cover appeared taut.  Once while cleaning out water, one of the marina employees asked what we were doing.  After telling him, he tells us that he and the other employees have recently noticed water pooled up on top and they would snap the canvas to get it off and adjust the pole.  After hearing that and thinking about @semperi8387s comment, I checked the poles.  It would make sense that if it rained hard enough it would cause the pole to drop even lower allowing water to pool and slide in?  Well I fixed the pole, told the marina guys to not touch anything and everything is how it is suppose to be.  Now all I need is for it to rain!!  Weather shows possibly today but for sure sometime between today and Saturday.  Just have to wait for it!  Gotta love Michigan weather!  Since I have yet to verify this theory, I am stuck on 99% sure that its fixed!  I will be back to hopefully say 100% within the next couple of days!!  

I too get water in the port side bow storage compartment.  Doesn't seem to collect while in use either.  When I uncover the boat however, there is usually about two cups of water in the bin.  I haven't had the chance to check to see where it's coming from but plan on investigating.  If I can't find it for myself, the dealer can deal with it over the winter.

Smellymel, sounds like you might be on to something. Hope that fixes your situation!

Smellymel, I'll be curious to what you find! I'm curious to how the rain water gets into the storage area though...If the water comes in through the playpen cover it would go on the floor correct? How is that different from wet bodies, etc? Michiman, we will have the dealer caulk up the speaker holes and try to fix our drain holes. Thanks all!

Smellymel, I'll be curious to what you find! I'm curious to how the rain water gets into the storage area though...If the water comes in through the playpen cover it would go on the floor correct? How is that different from wet bodies, etc? Michiman, we will have the dealer caulk up the speaker holes and try to fix our drain holes. Thanks all!

Good luck!I Meanwhile, I'm hoping my theory is still holding but I'll know more next weekend as the boat will have been sitting for a couple of weeks with plenty of rain.

I'm officially 99% annoyed and confused. Yes @DD2075GL I would love to know how water gets in the storage with the cover on.  Last friday night it rained. I went saturday to check it out. All poles were still locked in place and canvas taut. It actually started pouring rain as I unsnapped. I only unsnapped enough to be able to crawl in the front door so just one front quarter corner.   I sat in the covered sweat box with a flash light as it poured rain. Found a random 4" round puddle sitting dead center on one front lounger. I opened and there is no water in the storage bin like before.  But there is water in the track along the upper rim which leads to the channel putting the water on the floor.  I check the other front lounger. Water in the track.  We did not have water in the other seats previously but i checked anyways. We have the floating seat sitting at the side door.  For the first time since this started, had a small puddle of water sitting on the top, just like the one front lounger. Checked all others.  No water.  Since it was currently raining, i started inspecting the canvas on the inside.  I checked seams and around the pole.  No light. No cracks. Looks fine.  As I sat, no rain dripped in either. It started to thunder so I buttoned up and left. 3 days later (tuesday) we use the boat. After uncovering, noticed a white residue on almost everything. Even on the outside rails of the boat that the cover covers and snaps to.  Also small random gnats/flies stuck to the seats.   It's as if it was not covered and became damp over night. And what was wet, dried and left this white residue.  It is not a SOLID white residue.  I can only compare it to well water because we have partial well water at home.  When it dries on things, it leaves a transparent white residue.  So we use the boat tuesday evening.  Before covering, I dry everything including the edges of the seats that touch when they open and close. There is NO water in/on anything. Yesterday, (wednesday) morning at 2am it rained HARD.  After work, I crawl in through the front door. Water is now in all tracks of all seats!  Not just the fronts but ALL. WTF. Again, it's not water from using. I dried everything before covering it tuesday night.  Since it was bright and sunny yesterday unlike the other day when I crawled in, I inspected the canvas again.  No light. No cracks.   :blink:  I don't understand.  And now what's with the white residue?! We are not docked under anything such as an awning or tree.  Nothing that can drip.

Husband just mentioned that 2 weeks ago, he spoke with someone at the dealer about this water issue.  He went up there to borrow a boat trailer to move our boat. The guy told him that we should waterproof our cover.  Husband didn't talk any further and left.  That CAN NOT be correct, can it?  It's brand new.  We got it in May and this water issue started in August.  Or could it be possible and it just had a bad job of waterproofing at the factory?  Our boat is being pulled out in 2 weeks for the season and will be stored at the place where it was purchased.  Hell I guess I will add this issue to the list of things that we need fixed/looked at over the winter.  I dont know what else to do!  

The covers are water repellent, NOT waterproof. They are made to protect the interior from uv rays, bird droppings, pollen, dirt, etc ... Depending on exposure, it's possible it's lost some of it's ability to "shed" water like it did when new. I have a BRAND NEW COVER, and it still has some spots where water sneaks through. I've found "303" will be your best friend. DO NOT SPRAY WITH COVER INSTALLED. "If" the water is coming through the cover, I would bet this will stop the majority of it. 

The covers are water repellent, NOT waterproof. They are made to protect the interior from uv rays, bird droppings, pollen, dirt, etc ... Depending on exposure, it's possible it's lost some of it's ability to "shed" water like it did when new. I have a BRAND NEW COVER, and it still has some spots where water sneaks through. I've found "303" will be your best friend. DO NOT SPRAY WITH COVER INSTALLED. "If" the water is coming through the cover, I would bet this will stop the majority of it. 

Excellent point @SEMPERFI8387. ^_^   I assumed that the cover was water proof.  Ugh and now that I think back, this was an extremely dry summer besides recently, with the heavy rain storms. 

Yeah, in actuality, the covers need to be able to breath. If not you would end up with mold growth issues. The vents allow airflow, but it still needs to breath. I noticed when I sprayed mine (and my new cover), the water beads on the surface and rolls off easily. After 3-6 months, it lays on the cover and penetrates through. Think of a car with a fresh wax job. The water beads up and rolls off easily. A new or freshly sprayed cover acts the same way. 

Also, if water is penetrating and rolling down the "inside" of the cover, it will hit your seat back (at least on mine), then roll down the face of the seat and collect in drainage channel.

Back