What is a Fuel Separator and do I need one?

Derrick, I look and read about Yamaha Ring Free on their web page however I would like to hear more from your experience; as to how much, how often, beginning of year, throughout etc

Speaking of fuel additives.....I'm going to put a can of this in my boat this year:

http://seafoamsales.com/sea-foam-motor-treatment/

I've known about this stuff for years and even put it in my old pontoon but I just used it in my car this past week and had incredible results.  My car is a 2009 Saturn Outlook with a V-6 with 87,000 miles on it.  It was acting like a spark plug was half fouled out...missing inconsistently....nothing too major but you sure felt it especially at highway speeds and especially when lugging the engine (accelerating as quickly as possible without the trans shifting up a gear).  I dumped a can of this Seafoam in it a week ago and the miss is gone...completely.  Not only that but the car accelerates faster and smoother now as well.  Will never know exactly what was wrong with the car but perhaps my fuel injection system had some deposits on it and the Seafoam cleaned it out.  Amazing stuff.

Speaking of fuel additives.....I'm going to put a can of this in my boat this year:

http://seafoamsales.com/sea-foam-motor-treatment/

I've known about this stuff for years and even put it in my old pontoon but I just used it in my car this past week and had incredible results.  My car is a 2009 Saturn Outlook with a V-6 with 87,000 miles on it.  It was acting like a spark plug was half fouled out...missing inconsistently....nothing too major but you sure felt it especially at highway speeds and especially when lugging the engine (accelerating as quickly as possible without the trans shifting up a gear).  I dumped a can of this Seafoam in it a week ago and the miss is gone...completely.  Not only that but the car accelerates faster and smoother now as well.  Will never know exactly what was wrong with the car but perhaps my fuel injection system had some deposits on it and the Seafoam cleaned it out.  Amazing stuff.
Let us know how it works keithkz, sounds like good stuff.

Derrick, I look and read about Yamaha Ring Free on their web page however I would like to hear more from your experience; as to how much, how often, beginning of year, throughout etc
I don't actually have any experience with the ring free yet, this upcoming season will be my first using it. I don't know what the ratio is, I assume it will be similar to the conditioner, which was 1 oz for every 3 gallons of fuel for normal running, then 1:1 for storage. It is a throughout the year additive. Just did a search, this is from another forum

Yamaha Ring Free Plus is a carbon debonder and a ethanol additive. Yamaha recommends using Ring Free plus at the constant ratio of 1oz per 10 gallons of fuel. Yamaha fuel stabilizer is a non-alcohol long term fuel storage treatment, and has the same ethanol additives as Ring Free Plus.

Yamaha recommends using both when needed.

Andy

__________________Andy Munao

Our Yamaha parts site www.simyamaha.com

Yamaha Outboard Sales, Parts and Service

Email andyjr@shipyardisland.com

Direct line: 920-264-0873 

so there ya go! I'll use less additive, but it will cost me more for fuel, just can't win! Haha

oh and Jack, yes we are mandated as well.

The RingFree Plus is more like a de-carbon product, and it's relatively inexpensive stuff to use.  You just put in 1 ounce for every 10 gallons of fuel.  I don't know if it works, but nothing has been written about it being anything but good. 

Many use SeaFoam which is mainly diesel fuel with minor amounts of naptha (a cleaner) and alcohol (Heet).  And it's some really, really expensive stuff to use all the time.  There again, I've never heard anyone say it doesn't work. 

Now getting around to using 100% gasoline.  It'd be nice in the real world to use it, but only 90/10 is available in so many places.  The problem with the 90/10 is shelf life--rather than how it runs.  If you're using your boat every week, I don't know that chasing around town for 100% gasoline is worth the effort.  I did pay the 40 cent premium on my last fillup in the Fall and topped of my tank with 100% gasoline, however. 

This is a list if there are any in your area .

http://pure-gas.org/...sp?stateprov=MI

To me $2.50 and up a gallon  over the street price is worth going 12 miles out of my way .I  am going to purchase 20 -25 gallons at a time .

Just a note Bamaman, I don't believe your ratio is right, that being said, I don't know the proper ratio! Yamaha seems to have some conflicting information on their website.  On the 355ml bottle it says 10ml treats 10L of fuel, yet on the 100ml bottle (3.4oz or so) it says it treats 20L of fuel. Kind of disappointing that they don't even have proper ratios on their own stuff!

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/pna/detail.php?sectionId=YL&groupId=18&subGroupId=91&categoryId=367&itemId=2867&items_per_page=12&page=1

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/pna/detail.php?sectionId=YL&groupId=18&subGroupId=91&categoryId=367&itemId=2866&items_per_page=12&page=1

Is the weaker ratio for normal use and the stiffer ratio for storage maybe?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the bottle has a standard mix, and then for "cleaning" the motor prior to oil change (if  remember correctly). I'll check my bottle tomorrow.

My dealer said that if you use the 1 oz per 10 gallon ratio you won't need to do a cleanout with a stronger dose. He recommended using just the light ratio because a stronger amount can clean out too much carbon in too little time and cause plug fouling. Also, he said to use Ring Free Plus in addition to Stabil Marine or Startron. RF+ was originally designed for 2 cycle motors, but he said even the 4 cycle will have carbon buildup, especially if idled a lot.

So I sent Yamaha this question, 

comment: Hi, I have a Bennington pontoon and had traded in my 200SHO and boat last year and got a 250SHO and boat. My question is, I had been using your fuel conditioner in my 200 and was looking at the Ring Free Plus for this motor, but your website has different ratio usages, which is correct? The little 100ml says it treats 20L of fuel, yet in the description on the 355ml it says 10ml treats 10L. So which is the correct ratio? Thanks for your help! Derrick

their reply was this,

They are both correct, as they have slightly different formulations.  Many years ago, there we had an error on the 1L bottle, but we no longer carry that size!

Back