23' Bennington Owners input

FYI, Our 200hp V6 Merc tops out at 40mph, but we have the heavier ESP hull. The power and acceleration of the V6 is very good.

A SPS+ hull structurally tops out supporting 250HP. Probably not worth an ecu reprogram as you have to have the v6 200 anyway to do that (at least with a Mercury). I think something similar is also true with other motor manufacturers. Motors and ecu’s change up in that 150-225HP range…

Thus, I don’t see getting an SPS+ and chipping a 200HP to 250HP making sense when hitting the HP cap that quickly for that hull. Maybe worth it if you upgrade to a ESP, but not an SPS+ in my mind.

I’d say either stay with the lighter SPS and v6 200HP, or if bothering with a SPS+, then just get the 250HP v6. IF someone is going to go above that HP, they need to go to an ESP which is structurally rated and sound at those levels.
None of the new Mercs are reprogrammable - everything since 2020 (maybe earlier) has been locked down.

None of the new Mercs are reprogrammable - everything since 2020 (maybe earlier) has been locked down.
Yup. I should have been clear on that. My post left it misleading…unintentionally..meant the statement historically. Edited my post to clarify. Thanks for catching that!

2016 23' RSB with SHO 250. I'll never go back to a smaller engine. It's got all the power we've ever needed for large groups, water sports etc. It will push the boat to 47 with the two of us on it, but most riding is done at 20 to 25.

We ordered a 23LSNPAPG with the SPS+ package and a Yamaha VMax SHO 250 in October 2020 and received it in Jan 2021. The dealer had a Solas 14"x19P prop on it and I did not like the performance so after several prop changes I ended up with the Yamaha SWS 2 in a 15 3/4"x15P and now I am very happy with it. With 3-4 people and a full tank of fuel it tops out around 44 MPH. The hole shot and ability to hold in the turns when pulling tubes or knee boards is really good. I tried the SWS 2 15 3/4"x17P prop for a few days and gained a few MPH but it lost bite in sharp turns much quicker. If you can swing it right now I would highly recommend the SPS+ and 250 HP combination. Resale will be much better if and when you decide to sell it too.

Last edited:
Hello Bennies

I am shopping for my 6th boat, but 1st toon. We have been looking at 2018+ 23 SSBXP or the newer edition being the 23 LSB but regardless in the 23' range with Swing back interior layout.

On the used side it is very hard pressed to find anything over a 150. Tons of 150's on the market and occasionally find a 175 and up to a 200. Can owners chime in regarding the HP you like on your 23'? I'd really like to find an SPS+ with the 250 Yamaha onboard but in months of searching I am not finding it.

Is it worth it to go SPS+ to get the larger engine?
In my mind I would like a V6 to get away from the high pitched 4 cyl sound at higher RPM. Yamaha 200Vmax (V6) a good option to stay away from the SPS+ pricing?

How will we use the boat?
-On a good sized lake doing water sports as well as cruising. 2-6 adults with coolers and dogs.

This covid era inventory on the new and used side is making everything tough! Been looking for sometime now.

Budget < 80K would be great.

Looking forward to the input from the group!
When I ordered my boat last year I went with the Mercury PRO-XS V-8 and absolutely love it. I have the ESP on my windshield RSBW 23 lot of extra weight on this boat a the motor is plenty of power. All my friends who have ordered new boats are going V-8. You just have to wait and be patient.

When I ordered my boat last year I went with the Mercury PRO-XS V-8 and absolutely love it. I have the ESP on my windshield RSBW 23 lot of extra weight on this boat a the motor is plenty of power. All my friends who have ordered new boats are going V-8. You just have to wait and be patient.
Awesome boat you have there. The windshield adds a really classy and functional touch, and that big Merc hanging off the back is the cherry on top!

24 sslx with sps and the Yamaha 2.8l 200. Moves the boat 44mph. Plenty for us.

Back