Almost made it through summer....

To be honest with you guys...... It's a PIA to unzip a double Bimini, fold the rear frame to the radar position, put the rear half in it's boot, zip up and then position the rear half on the trailering struts. Fold the front frame to the radar position, put the front half in it's boot, zip up then position the front half on the trailering struts! (I could leave both in the radar position) Okay after taking the cooler, towel bag, skis, etc. off the boat........let's tackle the mooring cover now!!! We actually have it down pat to put the mooring cover/support poles on but after a long day on the water and putting the boat back on the lift, leaving the double bimini up is one less thing we have to do at the end of the day......Not to mention having to reassemble it the next time we go out!
Right - and ultimately the Bimini must be cheaper to replace than the Mooring Cover. We leave our Double Bimini up all year, we don't put the mooring cover on when we are using the next day again, otherwise it's always on. Plus, I believe it keeps some heat off the boat - prolonged surface life!?!?

For many years I have been at war with Canadian geese that poop on my lawn down by the lake. I tried scary objects that worked for a while until the birds learned there was no threat. Now for more than a decade I have been winning the war with a tool that trains them to stay away. This training tool is a small low power electric fence. It only takes one bad experience to train them. Typically It can be taken down by the 4th of July after the geese associate my yard with a unpleasant experience. With regard to this post I found a electric shock wire that mounts on structures that have a bird problems (see attached). This installed assembly may not be appropriate for pontoon application but the principals apply. The dual conductor wire mounts on a location of the structure that a bird is likely to roost. I am thinking above the frame (think roosting on the branch of a tree). The associated buzz box can be sourced at any farm supply store. Some units are solar powered. It’s not plug and play but it might work for your application.

All you need to keep geese off your yard is a piece of string about 12" high all the way across your shoreline. Works like a charm - they won't cross the string.

All you need to keep geese off your yard is a piece of string about 12" high all the way across your shoreline. Works like a charm - they won't cross the string.
One string works for a while then two strings then three with tinsel. Cardboard wolf cutout evolved into a 3-D statue with wagging tail. Flags and flash revolving like a disco ball. Motion sensing sprinkler showed promise until it didn’t. Bottle rockets made them scatter until it just made them nervous. They all work for a while until the birds learn there is no threat. Now I just shake my head when a new neighbor moves in and tries this and that. They all learn over time.

Dave not worried about the geese. It's those big ass herons that sit on top that does the damage!

Right - and ultimately the Bimini must be cheaper to replace than the Mooring Cover. We leave our Double Bimini up all year, we don't put the mooring cover on when we are using the next day again, otherwise it's always on. Plus, I believe it keeps some heat off the boat - prolonged surface life!?!?
We religiously put our cover on after every use!

Earlier this year I complained about bird shit on my mooring cover as well as on our double Biminis that remain open all the time. I installed 2 owls (1 on the anchor light the other one in the front on a pole) and a couple of rubber snakes. I also installed flashy windmills that spin in the wind! Wow! This is actually working! We recently got back from Florida from a getaway on RC's Harmony of the Seas. Gone for about 10 days total. I go down to check on the boat and I can see it when I get out of the car. A big white splotch on the Bimini! (The 1st thing that comes to mind is the pic of the heron Semper posted) The herons got me! It's literally right next to the owl on the anchor light! And a bunch of fish scales! The white splotch is so big it literally ran down onto the mooring cover below. I'm so pissed I unsnapped the cover, removed the Biminis and went home! So much for the owls and snakes ........
i use this set up for my lift canopy and it works great (for 10 years now on another boat, and now pontoon). First year of the first boat the top of the canopy ended the year white. Not much since (an occasional fly by bombing). Aluminum poles with fishing line (50 pound test lately) between a every corner, including the diagonal corners about 18” feet from canopy. I had not thought about it for bimini top, but since you leave it up all year, it may be an option. Taking clamps off and poles down when taking down Bimini would take very little time (Would not want to do it often, but once in a great while shouldn’t be bad). You’d obviously need to bend tubes at a different angle to match Bimini pole angles but easily done with pole bender. they hold up to high winds fine (35mph gusts here today) as well. 3872DAD9-FED6-4B3A-A413-3D9BE25A019E.jpegD3148596-5EDD-46E8-96E7-FBA6C2C8B125.jpeg

i use this set up for my lift canopy and it works great (for 10 years now on another boat, and now pontoon). First year of the first boat the top of the canopy ended the year white. Not much since (an occasional fly by bombing). Aluminum poles with fishing line (50 pound test lately) between a every corner, including the diagonal corners about 18” feet from canopy. I had not thought about it for bimini top, but since you leave it up all year, it may be an option. Taking clamps off and poles down when taking down Bimini would take very little time (Would not want to do it often, but once in a great while shouldn’t be bad). You’d obviously need to bend tubes at a different angle to match Bimini pole angles but easily done with pole bender. they hold up to high winds fine (35mph gusts here today) as well. View attachment 33358View attachment 33359
Thx tomc!!!

i use this set up for my lift canopy and it works great (for 10 years now on another boat, and now pontoon). First year of the first boat the top of the canopy ended the year white. Not much since (an occasional fly by bombing). Aluminum poles with fishing line (50 pound test lately) between a every corner, including the diagonal corners about 18” feet from canopy. I had not thought about it for bimini top, but since you leave it up all year, it may be an option. Taking clamps off and poles down when taking down Bimini would take very little time (Would not want to do it often, but once in a great while shouldn’t be bad). You’d obviously need to bend tubes at a different angle to match Bimini pole angles but easily done with pole bender. they hold up to high winds fine (35mph gusts here today) as well. View attachment 33358View attachment 33359

Nice ShoreStation lift!
Hydraulic?

Nice ShoreStation lift!
Hydraulic?
yes, I’ve also have one for my four Winns for 10 years now and love em (Got the pontoon in late 18). Up and down in about 10 seconds, and with remote, sit in the chair and and watch it go! remote makes life easier too if you need to raise or lower while at the bow or stern. As my neighbor is hand cranking his up for 10 minutes, I go over and tell him I might be developing carpel tunnel in my thumb from pushing that little button for 10 seconds straight!!

My new cottage and dock neighbor flies “those” colors :D.

View attachment 33347

He set up the same sort of dock lights (puttting in alternating LED bulbs like me) and dual color flags in the ole blue and white.

View attachment 33348

As you can see, his new setup totally mimics my set up in Green and White. I think he is trying to “start” something. Ha! Kind of funny.

However, he also made sure his Dori pole mounts higher and set it up on our side of his dock so his flag flies over the top of our end platform. That’s just going one step too far...:rolleyes:

My wife keeps telling me copying our set up is the best form of flattery. I don’t know about that.:D

I think I need to come and harass... err... visit you guys next summer... lol.

Looks fantastic all the way around though... honestly, nice setup

Back