Best bunks for Bennington Pontoons

NeilD

Reaction score
I am adding a new boat lift in my boathouse for my Bennington Sedona pontoon
Should I use V style bunks with angled boards, or will a flat board for each pontoon be ok?
My trailer has V style bunks. My lift provider says that one flat board for each pontoon will work. I am concerned about the guides running underneath the pontoons.
I have pictures showing: 1) the V style bunks on our trailer, and 2) the flat board bunks on our boat lift.

Attachments

• Flat board bunk pontoon boat.jpeg
    Flat board bunk pontoon boat.jpeg
    155.9 KB · Views: 13
  • pontoon trailer V style.jpeg
    pontoon trailer V style.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 13
On my hydrohoist I have 3 sets of 2 bunks that pivot from flat to form a V under the toons

As long as you have guides to keep the pontoon centered on the flat bunks they should be fine. Benefit of the V-style is that it makes it easier to park without outside guides.

As long as you have guides to keep the pontoon centered on the flat bunks they should be fine. Benefit of the V-style is that it makes it easier to park without outside guides.
What about the metal "fin" welded to the bottom of the pontoons? They run the entire length of the pontoons. The sharp edge of the fins will be the only thing setting on the flat board. I show a picture in my original post

No way do you want flat boards on that lift with those "fins". IMO. And that V needs to be gapped like your trailer. Again, IMO.

What about the metal "fin" welded to the bottom of the pontoons? They run the entire length of the pontoons. The sharp edge of the fins will be the only thing setting on the flat board. I show a picture in my original post
The fins woudn't be damaged parking on carpet - though they would (of course) tear up the carpet and boards over time. People do it all the time - and a lot of storage places just park stored boats directly on pavement (or best case, wooden blocks) and it's supposedly fine.

That said, I'm with BigD in recommending a traditional V formation, just like on your trailer. Here's some photos of my setup:

Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 4.22.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 4.21.14 PM.png

Last edited:
Back