Best trailer around MN

CynicCE

Reaction score
Hey all,

Been a lurker for a while and see a lot of people mentioning trailersforpontoons as one of the better places to get a trailer. It's looking like an 8 hr drive to IN for me and I see most of the recommendations come from when they were using mid america frames. Their site says they're using someone else now due to paint issues/rust. Has mid america fixed that issue? Anyone know what brand tfp is using now? Looks like Benchmark might be same frame that trailersforpontoons is using but can't tell if they're the mfr. I guess the question is what's the best route to go in 2022? Trailersforpontoons still leaps and bounds ahead of others and worth the drive? Or is there another more locally available to MN brand that'll do almost as well without the need for a drive? Ones in the running in my mind are:
1. Trailersforpontoons
2. Mid America
3. Benchmark

I'm open to other suggestions though. Looking at a tandem 24ft bunk trailer. Thanks for any insight anyone can provide!

Ben

Reactions: DVW
We got our YachtClub trailer from Miller Marine in St. Cloud, MN. Our second YC trailer (2nd Benny) - they've been solid, no issues, brakes work great, no rust.

We got our YachtClub trailer from Miller Marine in St. Cloud, MN. Our second YC trailer (2nd Benny) - they've been solid, no issues, brakes work great, no rust.
The local Bennington dealer sells the YachtClub trailers. I was getting information from them, and was curious if they are any good. Thanks for some insights.

We have the Mid-America Tri-toon trailer for our boat. Swing away tongue shortens the space it takes up, Great ladder with handrail to access front of toon. Purchased new with our boat in 2020 at River Valley Marine Red Wing, MN.20211012_114728 (2).jpg

Thoughts on surge brakes vs electronic brakes
This is my opinion on trailer brakes based on experience with electric brakes and hydraulic surge brakes. For boat trailers that have seasonal and infrequent use I prefer hydraulic surge brakes. Electric brakes are great for professional contractors that pull heavy trailers everyday. But corrosion on the friction surfaces can make them finicky. Surge brakes have high force hydraulics that is less sensitive to infrequent use. One downside to surge brakes is that they tend to lock up in reverse when backing up too steep of a hill. Typically there is a interlock on the trailer tongue for this situation. Surge brakes can utilize brake drums or brake disks. Disk brakes give the best braking but they lock up more easily in reverse. For this reason they might have a electric solenoid valve that will dump hydraulic pressure when it gets a signal from your backup lights.

This is my opinion on trailer brakes based on experience with electric brakes and hydraulic surge brakes. For boat trailers that have seasonal and infrequent use I prefer hydraulic surge brakes. Electric brakes are great for professional contractors that pull heavy trailers everyday. But corrosion on the friction surfaces can make them finicky. Surge brakes have high force hydraulics that is less sensitive to infrequent use. One downside to surge brakes is that they tend to lock up in reverse when backing up too steep of a hill. Typically there is a interlock on the trailer tongue for this situation. Surge brakes can utilize brake drums or brake disks. Disk brakes give the best braking but they lock up more easily in reverse. For this reason they might have a electric solenoid valve that will dump hydraulic pressure when it gets a signal from your backup lights.
Thanks!

That’s the most easy to understand write up I’ve come across! Thanks for helping a newbie!

The local Bennington dealer sells the YachtClub trailers. I was getting information from them, and was curious if they are any good. Thanks for some insights.
I purchased a YachtClub trailer from my Minnesota dealer and have been very happy with it. Initially the tires were not balanced causing some vibration, but they paid to have that fixed. Very solid trailer. I noticed some of the newer trailers have the "bed liner type" spray protection which would be great for rust protection / paint chip avoidance IMO.

What's the going rate for a 23-24' mid-grade tandem axle trailer 5000-ish lb capacity? Looks like the LodeRite and PMI are in the $5-6K range for tube steel. Just got a quote from Loadmaster in OH that is roughly 50% more but uses c-channel steel and is generally a beefier, more stout trailer.

The Load Rite's I saw in person looked pretty flimsy and I read have questionable build quality. Hate to shell out $9K for a trailer but if the mid-point is $7k for decent quality it still might be justified if I'm looking for longevity and flawless operation.

What's the going rate for a 23-24' mid-grade tandem axle trailer 5000-ish lb capacity? Looks like the LodeRite and PMI are in the $5-6K range for tube steel. Just got a quote from Loadmaster in OH that is roughly 50% more but uses c-channel steel and is generally a beefier, more stout trailer.

The Load Rite's I saw in person looked pretty flimsy and I read have questionable build quality. Hate to shell out $9K for a trailer but if the mid-point is $7k for decent quality it still might be justified if I'm looking for longevity and flawless operation.
My Yacht Club was around $7500 a year ago, but it's a Deluxe model, meaning it's a little nicer than the norm. 5600 lb. capacity and 24 foot toon.

We bought a Boatmate trailer for our 25' 2575 RCW 2 years ago. It is soo much better than what we had. 8000 lb capacity, loads like a dream. The front ladder is easy to use. It is a premium price but with the features and how much better it tows, I feel it was a fair value. I called the company in Tennessee and talked to the sales manager and he directed me to a local dealer.

We bought a Boatmate trailer for our 25' 2575 RCW 2 years ago. It is soo much better than what we had. 8000 lb capacity, loads like a dream. The front ladder is easy to use. It is a premium price but with the features and how much better it tows, I feel it was a fair value. I called the company in Tennessee and talked to the sales manager and he directed me to a local dealer.

Those Boatmates look downright fancy! Really slick lines and thoughtful little design elements. The only downside is it appears to be painted tube steel so really catering to the freshwater crowd? But I really like the look and function of them, something to consider.

If you don't mind me asking, was it in that $5-10K range?

Those Boatmates look downright fancy! Really slick lines and thoughtful little design elements. The only downside is it appears to be painted tube steel so really catering to the freshwater crowd? But I really like the look and function of them, something to consider.

If you don't mind me asking, was it in that $5-10K range?
As I recall it was in the $8,000 Range. Because of the supply change problems they upgraded the axles to the next higher capacity at no charge.
The trailer looks so nice that our 15 year old boat looks a little shabby on it. ;)

Back