Boat Cover

PorscheJeff

Reaction score
Just curious how many put the full boat cover on at the end of the day, even if they keep their boat under a canopy boat lift? How much of a hassle is putting on the cover? Curious to hear your thoughts and experience.

I keep it in a covered slip on a lift. I put the cover on and off every time I use it. No problem, piece of cake. I folded it in thirds and roll it up right down the middle. Put it back on the same way.

Just curious how many put the full boat cover on at the end of the day, even if they keep their boat under a canopy boat lift? How much of a hassle is putting on the cover? Curious to hear your thoughts and experience.
When I had our old lift and canopy, I drapped the mooring cover over and just connected it in a couple spots. This helped prevent spider dropping, or the errant brid dropping if one flew in and perched above the boat, front getting on it.

Since getting rid of the lift and canopy to go with Sea Legs, I cover completely every day after using the boat.

Religiously cover the boat every time we put it away! You'll thank yourself in the long run!

Just curious how many put the full boat cover on at the end of the day, even if they keep their boat under a canopy boat lift? How much of a hassle is putting on the cover? Curious to hear your thoughts and experie
Cover it!

As for how difficult or big of a hassle? There is a a tutorial video Semper did some time ago posted in the forums for how to do the plastic latches. Watch that. It will be helpful.

At first it is a bit of a pain to get used to. Once you get your own pattern down, and get used to the process, it goes very quickly. By myself, I can cover it in approx. 10 minutes, less with the wife helping.

Key is finding a pattern that works for you. Me, I start at helm on starboard side and work my way around the front to the port side door. I then go back to starboard side helm, work my way around back to the port side door again. If rain is in the forecast, I then get inside and put the poles up. Otherwise I don’t worry about the poles.

When taking it off I undue and bunch it up length wise down the center of the boat. I then fold it back to front and store in center tube floor storage. When ready to put it back on, I get it out, unfold front to back, and do the process outlined in the above paragraph for putting it on the boat.

When you come in off the water and the carpets and seats are wet do you put cover on over the wet, or do you let it sit open for a day and then cover?

When you come in off the water and the carpets and seats are wet do you put cover on over the wet, or do you let it sit open for a day and then cover?
My seats and flooring are rarely wet, but when they are, I let them air/dry out in the sun before covering as best I can. I never leave the boat uncovered over night. Having sea grass woven vinyl flooring helps it dry quicker (no carpet to deal with). I also feel like that Semtix seating dries in a reasonable amount of time. There have only been a few occasions in bad weather where I have had to put the cover on while its damp. In those instances, I try to uncover to air dry it at my first available opportunity.

I cover each evening. I have Ultra Legs, no boat lift. It is worth it to keep the boat clean and it is usually dry in the morning. The few times I didn't cover it, the dew made everything wet and the early morning birds also pooped on it. :-(

I cover mine every time. If there is a sunny forecast and I know I’ll be using the next day I will cover without the poles to the back and leave the back open

I used to cover under our canopy lift every time we were away. Now I leave covered until mid-June and the pollen is off the trees, and then I leave it uncovered unless I'll be gone more than a week.

I guess I'm the lazy guy. My boat sits out in the open and I almost never cover it. Since I dock bow in with no dock fingers, putting on the cover from inside the boat is a hassle - and hurts my back.
It's damp in the morning, but it stays remarkablly clean.

I guess I'm the lazy guy. My boat sits out in the open and I almost never cover it. Since I dock bow in with no dock fingers, putting on the cover from inside the boat is a hassle - and hurts my back.
It's damp in the morning, but it stays remarkablly clean.
It's not the moisture that's going to get you.......That sun is going to get to that upholstery sooner or later!

We're usually out until after the dew settles in. All unoccupied seats get the seat covers put on along with the helm cover before the dew comes in. Once at the dock the rest of the seat covers on (usually just the two captain seats). The next day the playpen cover goes on after the floor dries and if we are not going to go out that day or night. I do not have a covered dock.

We always cover overnight - its on a lift without a canopy so spiders and herons can be an issue. Put spikes up on the lift to slow the birds down but still cover when we come in (wet or dry). Did add a walking plank on either side of the lift to help put on the cover from the outside of the boat. Will need to try Vikingstaff's approach to putting it on from the inside.

3453530C-DFE3-47A2-A485-FE73F178C6C2.jpeg

This is what ours looks like at any time we aren’t using it. Takes a very few minutes to slip it on, and adds lots of life to the interior. By the way....I just cleaned the logs after this pic was taken from our security cam.

I cover from inside the boat and install the poles as I go. Snap some snaps on both sides, insert the pole and pull the cover towards you ( the pole will stay upright) and start snapping again. I never have to crawl under the cover. It's not bad but 2 years ago we had been on the water all day, adult beverages, the ladies went to the house and I started to put the cover on and got very close to heat stroke. I learned not to put the cover on at 5 pm. Now I go to the house, have dinner and go back down at twilight to cover the boat.

I have purchased covers for the seats, console and chase in addition to the full cover. For extended periods where the boat will not be used, it gets the full cover. When using the boat more frequently, then I go with the individual covers as it gives the needed protection without the hassle of install/remove the full cover.

I use a mixture of puffin covers (console/lounge), and covers I bought from a marine supply for the chairs.

I have a 20 SFV, so there are three fishing chairs, the captain's chair, the console and the chase lounge.

If you contact Puffin, they will give a price for the pieces you can't typically buy off the shelf.

Back