Boat order decisions...This or That!!

Take into consideration that you’re on a very small lake also. Any chances you will haul to bigger lakes often? IMHO a 22 footer with a 115 should be fine for that small of a lake, but then conventional wisdom is buy your last boat first and there’s a lot to like about that sentiment
Most likely will only ever be at this lake but ya never know... there is a bigger lake down the road near Cooperstown NY that we talk about cruising around but that lake is only 7 miles long and a mile wide.

I’m going to talk to the dealer tomorrow and figure out what we want to do.

Oh hell....My inlaws currently THINK the boat will have a 90HP..... LOL I already upgraded to the 115HP...They are going to lose it if a 175 is on there... HAHA Maybe ill just say it was an accident... :)
my father-in-law gave a little bit of an eye roll and told me don’t you think a 300 is a bit much? Also what do you need a 26 ft boat for if it’s just the two of you and 2 small dogs?
We’ll see what he says when I hit the throttle and throw him back in his seat! :cool:

The normal day is 4 adults and 2 kids. Could have it maxed out if friends come around..

Remember though...We were "flying" around on our old boat at a whopping 15MPH... haha ANYTHING will be an upgrade...

I am going to ask dealer about some options. With all the changes i could be making....they are going to love me...
Also hoping changes dont change the build date!
Shouldn’t change the build date as you have a couple weeks after ordering to lock in your boat. I gave up the blue led’s in the Bimini and the underwater led’s (of which I still kick myself) but I got to keep my digital 300 and hit my price point. If there is an option you can live without or something like my led’s that you could do aftermarket at some point later that won’t be too hard/expensive to do. You can’t change to SPS or upgrade your motor down the road for a reasonable price. Talk to your dealer and get the best boat for YOU. :)

my father-in-law gave a little bit of an eye roll and told me don’t you think a 300 is a bit much? Also what do you need a 26 ft boat for if it’s just the two of you and 2 small dogs?
We’ll see what he says when I hit the throttle and throw him back in his seat! :cool:
Most likely will only ever be at this lake but ya never know... there is a bigger lake down the road near Cooperstown NY that we talk about cruising around but that lake is only 7 miles long and a mile wide.

I’m going to talk to the dealer tomorrow and figure out what we want to do.

welcome dshannon. We live in Colonie, suburb of Albany and have a lake house at Sacandaga. Love the Cooperstown area and are very familiar with the area. Is it Otsego Lake where you will be boating?

welcome dshannon. We live in Colonie, suburb of Albany and have a lake house at Sacandaga. Love the Cooperstown area and are very familiar with the area. Is it Otsego Lake where you will be boating?
We have a house on Canadarago Lake in Richfield Springs. We have talked about trailering our boat over to Otsego Lake. Always wanted to heckle people on the 18th tee box of Leatherstocking via boat (its an island tee box) and go to blue mingo by boat to eat.

Dylan

In my opinion on a small lake you're going to get way more use out of the upgraded tubes than the extra 35 HP. We had a 115 for 10 years on a large chain of lakes, and the biggest reason we upgraded was the twin-tube setup is just not capable of any "fun" for other than very small kids when towing. Not sure about the Express option, but the SPS will be much better for handling.

We have a house on Canadarago Lake in Richfield Springs. We have talked about trailering our boat over to Otsego Lake. Always wanted to heckle people on the 18th tee box of Leatherstocking via boat (its an island tee box) and go to blue mingo by boat to eat.

Dylan
Played Leatherstocking Golf Course many times. Used to play before the Hall of Fame game in Cooperstown and met many players including Ted Williams and many of the heroes I grew up with

Oh hell....My inlaws currently THINK the boat will have a 90HP..... LOL I already upgraded to the 115HP...They are going to lose it if a 175 is on there... HAHA Maybe ill just say it was an accident... :)

I would love SPS with 200...i used to race dirtbikes so im all about more HP... ughh.. why does adulting have to be so expensive...

thanks all!!

Well, I mean, it's very easy to confuse a 1 and a 7 if you do a really quick glance instead of paying attention, right?

Right?

"Shucks, I thought I checked the 115, but I musta checked the 175 by accident. Oops!"

;) :p

Nothing to see here...

yamaha_VF115SHO 175.jpg

Last edited:
In my opinion on a small lake you're going to get way more use out of the upgraded tubes than the extra 35 HP. We had a 115 for 10 years on a large chain of lakes, and the biggest reason we upgraded was the twin-tube setup is just not capable of any "fun" for other than very small kids when towing. Not sure about the Express option, but the SPS will be much better for handling.
Bucking most of the advice in this thread, I lean towards what CLDave said above with you being on a smaller lake. In that situation I’d likely go SPS/115 instead of EPP/150. I did water test out a few 115HP’s tritoons when ”shopping” in 2016.

On a smaller lake, I think the improved buoyancy, ride, handling, and getting up on plane quicker than dual toons or EPP, are important factors for choosing the SPS. On that smaller lake, you wont have the same ability to utilize the extra 35HP with the 150 anyway, so why not compromise and go for a better ride?

From water testing in 2016, with 3 adults, light fuel and no other weight on board my test runs were regularly low to mid 30‘s MPH with the 115 tritoons. Now, I had a budget to go bigger, and ended up with a 200HP tritoon. I never water tested one loaded down with weight and people, so I cannot speak to that. My guess is you probably will notice the 115 being impacted the most when loaded down with weight WHILE turning during towing people on tubes. It will bog down then, but on your smaller lake might otherwise be just fine for your uses. The 115 performs markedly better on a tritoon because you get on plane quickly with the SPS hull.

This said, if there is anyway to trade off some options, and squeeze your budget up to a 150 with SPS as many others have suggested, you absolutely wont regret it. With an SPS/150 you have NO limitations at all, better future resale value, and if you trailer to other lakes, will be able to really utilize the boat to its fullest potential. Of course that’s easy for me to say with your money. You want to try to get the last boat first, but you don’t want to do anything foolish financially either. Always a tough decision when boat shopping. So much to consider, and so much to “want”.

Bucking most of the advice in this thread, I lean towards what CLDave said above with you being on a smaller lake. In that situation I’d likely go SPS/115 instead of EPP/150. I did water test out a few 115HP’s tritoons when ”shopping” in 2016.

On a smaller lake, I think the improved buoyancy, ride, handling, and getting up on plane quicker than dual toons or EPP, are important factors for choosing the SPS. On that smaller lake, you wont have the same ability to utilize the extra 35HP with the 150 anyway, so why not compromise and go for a better ride?

From water testing in 2016, with 3 adults, light fuel and no other weight on board my test runs were regularly low to mid 30‘s MPH with the 115 tritoons. Now, I had a budget to go bigger, and ended up with a 200HP tritoon. I never water tested one loaded down with weight and people, so I cannot speak to that. My guess is you probably will notice the 115 being impacted the most when loaded down with weight WHILE turning during towing people on tubes. It will bog down then, but on your smaller lake might otherwise be just fine for your uses. The 115 performs markedly better on a tritoon because you get on plane quickly with the SPS hull.

This said, if there is anyway to trade off some options, and squeeze your budget up to a 150 with SPS as many others have suggested, you absolutely wont regret it. With an SPS/150 you have NO limitations at all, better future resale value, and if you trailer to other lakes, will be able to really utilize the boat to its fullest potential. Of course that’s easy for me to say with your money. You want to try to get the last boat first, but you don’t want to do anything foolish financially either. Always a tough decision when boat shopping. So much to consider, and so much to “w

Played Leatherstocking Golf Course many times. Used to play before the Hall of Fame game in Cooperstown and met many players including Ted Williams and many of the heroes I grew up with
Awesome. I play everytime im up there. My wife wanted me to get a membership a few years back so she could try to golf with Jeter when he was inducted...

I said that's an expensive idea that will never happen.

This said, if there is anyway to trade off some options, and squeeze your budget up to a 150 with SPS as many others have suggested, you absolutely wont regret it. With an SPS/150 you have NO limitations at all, better future resale value, and if you trailer to other lakes, will be able to really utilize the boat to its fullest potential. Of course that’s easy for me to say with your money. You want to try to get the last boat first, but you don’t want to do anything foolish financially either. Always a tough decision when boat shopping. So much to consider, and so much to “want”.
Intersting... i know from reading your other posts, you do not like the express. I was originally concerned with squat with express/150...

I could live with 30s...considering we are coming from a boat that did 15-16 MAX... You dont have a 150, but what sort of increase in speed would that lead to?

Well I'm running the numbers trying to make them work......and just realized another stimulus check is coming... :)

I know this is a "free" issue and weird....Is there any reason to go smooth vs corrugated panels? i assume smooth is easier to clean and stick Reg stickers too...

Intersting... i know from reading your other posts, you do not like the express. I was originally concerned with squat with express/150...

I could live with 30s...considering we are coming from a boat that did 15-16 MAX... You dont have a 150, but what sort of increase in speed would that lead to?

Well I'm running the numbers trying to make them work......and just realized another stimulus check is coming... :)

I know this is a "free" issue and weird....Is there any reason to go smooth vs corrugated panels? i assume smooth is easier to clean and stick Reg stickers too...
I am not an EPP fan, so you have to factor in that bias of mine. For certain uses, it has its place, and budget wise it offers more flexibility than a dual toon, while not going all the way up to a full tritoon in price. Those certainly are nice assets of them. That said, I do know how great the SPS is, so I am a big fan of that hull. It is amazing!!!

As for the 150, my estimate (not perfect) when paired with an SPS you are going to run high 30’s mph (35-39) at WOT, maybe play with 40mph on a shorter length SPS when lightlay loaded. That’s what I was running on 2 water tests when searching/buying in 2016, and what I read from others in this forum that have them.

More importantly IMO, you will not lose mph when loaded down in the same way your will with the 115. The 150 has significantly more power through twisty turns when tubing and doing water sports than the 115. Thus, the 150 will give a little more top end, hold it better when weighted down with cargo/people, and maintain more consistent performance in pretty much all water sports activities.

As for the side panels, I consider that a largely a cosmetic item/decision. There is no additional strength between the two that I am aware of. Corrugated have traditionally been more of a “higher end” side panel on pontoons due to cost, so there is that cosmetic bias. I have corrugated panels and they wipe clean easy, and my registration stickers adhere to it perfectly fine - never an issue in 4 summers. I confidently think you can just pick the one you like the look of the most.

The only thing I can think of that “might” be an advantage of a smooth panel is if you dented it maybe it would be easier to try to pull that dent out...? Seems like that would be the case, but I have no actula information to that affect. With a corrugated panel I don’t believe there is any way to pull out a dent and have it look right.

Otherwise, I do not believe either one has an advantage over the other for the buyer. For the manufacturer, the smooth panel is technically cheaper to make, but that is about it. IMHO, I’d just get the one you like the look of the most, and not give that element a second thought.

Last edited:
I can speak with experience on both issues. I bought a nee 2012 RL that came with two standard 25” toons. Not ready to upgrade a few years later I purchased the Express Toon and the under deck wave shield. Glad I did and was certainly worth the money. That being said I wouldn’t select the Express toon on a new build I would buy the SPS

I also bought the Yamaha F115. Definitely should have bought the 150. Few years ago I gathered data posted by members. The analysis strongly favored the 150 over the 115. Viking staff is correct as where you will see the difference the most is when you are carrying additional passengers. You can find that article via the search engine
Although now most are buying even larger horsepower

dshanoonon11 go for the SPS and 150hp. The small amount you pay for these will always be worth some additional cost now. Kids grow up, and power will become an issue if watersports become an issue. The SPS and 150 will be all that is truly necessary in the future.

Hello all,

Short story
General question is if you had to choose between upgrading between....Express to SPS or 115 to 150HP.....which would you do...
The plan is for this boat to be with us for 10+ years.

Long Story
We have a lake house in Upstate NY that is on a smaller lake ( 1mile wide x 4 miles long) and is mostly calm.
Our old boat was a 2005 Lowe 20' pontoon with 50HP 2stroke merc. Sold that in the fall of 2020.

We have 2 little kids who are entering the tubing age (3 and 5) and the old boat didn't have the power or ability (no pylon) to tube. In the past, we mainly cruised around to the island/sandbar to fish/play/drink/relax. Partially because that's what our boat was good at!

We just ordered a 22' SSXAPG with Express Performance Package with a 115 Yamaha outboard last week to be built/ready in May.
Other options we chose are double bimini, center storage, dock lights, ski pylon, upgraded bass seats and captains chair.

We started building an SV and quickly realized we had to jump to a SX to get what we wanted. With that said, we quickly went from comfortable price to at the max for our budget. After "pulling the trigger", I am reading a ton of "bad" things on the express tubes and that going to 150 hp "is the way to go"

I come from a family moto of "no replacement for displacement" but my in-laws/wife dont see a need.

I asked the dealer to give my prices on upgrading the motor and the SPS pontoons (The following are "out the door" prices)

Upgrade 115 to 115 Vmax - $500
Upgrade 150 - $2800
150 Vmax - $4300

SPS - $3,300

In general, we can swing one of these, not both... My gut says motor

What say you??
Thanks
Dylan
You could go with the SPS with the 115 now, and if you really do keep the boat 10+ years and it works out for you otherwise, but want a little more power when the kids get older and bigger, with their friends, then upgrade to a larger motor at that time.

For sure get the 150 and SPS. Spend the money now and you won't regret it. Triple toon makes a huge difference in buoyancy and at speed drives more like a boat than a barge. We have a 19 ssbxp. Even with the sea legs and 6-8 adults on board I can still clock 30+ MPH and dump teenagers off the tube at will. I've never once thought I needed more hp or a bass boat SHO motor...

Thank you everyone...you guys twisted my arm and spent my money :D:D...i upgraded to SPS/150. This boat will be around for a long time so might as well make it able to relax, fish, and tube! Normally we only get to use it a couple times a year but with the world shifting to at home work...we are able to spend more time up there. I guess thats one blessing from everything happening.

I have a little "play" money in crypto....if something good happens, boat may be paid in cash...if nothing exciting happens, just add 3k to the loan.

Dealer just called and confirmed delays due to foam. He was told it shouldnt push stuff back TOO far but its hard to tell currently.

Thanks all.

Thank you everyone...you guys twisted my arm and spent my money :D:D...i upgraded to SPS/150. This boat will be around for a long time so might as well make it able to relax, fish, and tube! Normally we only get to use it a couple times a year but with the world shifting to at home work...we are able to spend more time up there. I guess thats one blessing from everything happening.

I have a little "play" money in crypto....if something good happens, boat may be paid in cash...if nothing exciting happens, just add 3k to the loan.

Dealer just called and confirmed delays due to foam. He was told it shouldnt push stuff back TOO far but its hard to tell currently.

Thanks all.
Since it is a boat you plan to keep for a long time, and given your stated uses, I think you will be thrilled with this decision. The SPS/150 will meet our your current and future uses, often with room to spare. Happy boating to you once it all comes in. I hope you post pictures this summer when you get it so we can all admire your new boat.

Since it is a boat you plan to keep for a long time, and given your stated uses, I think you will be thrilled with this decision. The SPS/150 will meet our your current and future uses, often with room to spare. Happy boating to you once it all comes in. I hope you post pictures this summer when you get it so we can all admire your new boat.
Will do!! Cant wait!

Back