Center pontoon storage

SEAFLO 12V DC 1.2 GPM 35 PSI 21-Series Diaphragm Water Pressure Pump for Marine Boat RV Caravan ~ $30. Available on Amazon and most marine supply stores.

Here is a kit with a timer and all the parts you need for installation. It uses the pump listed above. http://www.drybilgesystem.com/ ~$400

Just be sure to use a waterproof fuse holder for the pump and waterproof all electrical connections. On my tune there was a bracket in the rear of the compartment to mount the pump.
Thanks - I read some reviews and people are very pleased with this product. Apparently uses titanium contacts for corrosion resistance which seems like some thoughtful engineering.

FWIW, I leave our hatch open under the lift to keep it aired out. We've never needed to use the sump yet, but it's an easy fix to make sure there's some air movement. I might get a battery-powered fan to help air out after we get caught in our first rainstorm.
I was thinking the same thing. Our boat will be under a covered lift out of the water. I purchased the Benny with the fishing option. I will have electric to recharge the trolling motor batts, so I’ll stick a 12 v. Plastic fan from a Petro or Flying J in there.
sure enjoy this Bennington forum stuff!

Follow up...got some factory photos of my 22 LSR...center pontoon door has the slats on them

Attachments

• 2106748_20.png
    2106748_20.png
    709.8 KB · Views: 51
Follow up...got some factory photos of my 22 LSR...center pontoon door has the slats on them
I know you were hoping for a solid door piece so that’s a bummer. I wonder how they determine which boats get which cover? I would talk to your dealer still and if they have one on the show room that solid maybe they would just be willing to swap it for you if it’s the same size. Otherwise, if you use it and find you have problems with it you could always check with the parts department or Bennington and see about ordering a solid cover. Keep us posted if you find out.

I personally would want the vents to help with air circulation, obviously I would want the solid cover if I left it uncovered in the rain. I wonder what Bennington’s reasoning is for the type of cover? Please share if someone knows outside of speculation.

I personally would want the vents to help with air circulation, obviously I would want the solid cover if I left it uncovered in the rain. I wonder what Bennington’s reasoning is for the type of cover? Please share if someone knows outside of speculation.
I was told by different dealers of different boats that the slats are for air circulation to stop mold. One dealer told me this at his outdoor lot. I mentioned if it didn’t have holes you wouldn’t have moisture or mold. We naturally wanted to see the storage and what a mess. Boat cover, manuals and paperwork in about a foot of water. He was surprised more than I.
As far as having the opening now, I contacted Bennington customer service and was told mine would come solid, if not they would replace it.
On another note, my friend has a 10 year old Benni with center storage and a solid hatch. He also has a recessed lip which the hatch fits into. This recess has a drain hole and tube that goes back to the bilge. My SeaRay had the same design. Not happening with current Benni’s but solid hatch is better than holes. Hope this clears up you question.

I know you were hoping for a solid door piece so that’s a bummer. I wonder how they determine which boats get which cover? I would talk to your dealer still and if they have one on the show room that solid maybe they would just be willing to swap it for you if it’s the same size. Otherwise, if you use it and find you have problems with it you could always check with the parts department or Bennington and see about ordering a solid cover. Keep us posted if you find out.
Talked to Bennington customer service and mine will be solid. If not they’ll replace it. Fingers crossed.

Actually I’m fine with the slats. I’ll ask the dealer his findings on one vs the other but my boat will stay covered from rain and I will like to have the circulation when wet things like life jackets are tossed in there.

Remember - even if you don't get caught in the rain and/or if you have a solid cover, you're still going to get moisture in the center toon from condensation. Especially when in the water, the metal of the toon is going to be colder than the outside air - so when dew points are high and the temperature of the water is lower than dew point, you're going to want to have some ventilation.

(not that I think the slats help all that much - but having a solid cover is definitely not going to completely guard from moisture).

Remember - even if you don't get caught in the rain and/or if you have a solid cover, you're still going to get moisture in the center toon from condensation. Especially when in the water, the metal of the toon is going to be colder than the outside air - so when dew points are high and the temperature of the water is lower than dew point, you're going to want to have some ventilation.

(not that I think the slats help all that much - but having a solid cover is definitely not going to completely guard from moisture).
Thats a great point. Seems in the end, regardless of cover type, you will still need to make an effort to keep fresh air circulating inside. Like others have mentioned, opening the lid when putting to bed for the week would be a great idea; as well as not leaving things like wet towels in the storage. "Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" comes to mind.

They told you right, the center storage collected water and they changed the cover to allow more air flow since the pump can’t get it dry on its own. That is one of the reasons I opted out for center storage. I do not want to worry about that. My dealer advised against getting it unless I absolutely needed the storage.
They told you right, the center storage collected water and they changed the cover to allow more air flow since the pump can’t get it dry on its own. That is one of the reasons I opted out for center storage. I do not want to worry about that. My dealer advised against getting it unless I absolutely needed the storage.
We ordered our new Benny in January. We were also told by our dealer not to order the center storage for the same reasons. He said unless you are going to be going on long trips requiring extra storage you don’t need it One less thing to have to worry about.

We debated hard about having it or not having it - we live on the lake so we don't need to fill it or keep a lot in it --- but in the end, we went with the storage for those days where we bring all the "friends/kids" who want to try everything. On those days we put the tubes in there and the extra "diaper" floats, life jackets etc. Just helps clear out the deck space. Oh, and I also have my home-made extra bimini pipe supports stored down there (those stay all the time)

Just ordered our first Bennington to be delivered in may (22 ssxapg)! We ordered center storage with the seat covers only. I’m getting nervous about water in there now as we leave the boat on the water for 5 months.

We hate putting the mooring cover on/off so we opted for the seat covers but now I guess we are solving 2 problems (storage and easy of covering) but creating another...

Even if you’re on the fence with the center storage, it will be a nice feature for buyers looking for one down the road if you ever sell the boat.

I know you shouldn’t buy a boat for what the next owner will want, but center storage will likely be a plus down the road when we sell our boats for whatever reason.
It’s not like it’s something that can be easily added after manufacturing the boat

Just ordered our first Bennington to be delivered in may (22 ssxapg)! We ordered center storage with the seat covers only. I’m getting nervous about water in there now as we leave the boat on the water for 5 months.

We hate putting the mooring cover on/off so we opted for the seat covers but now I guess we are solving 2 problems (storage and easy of covering) but creating another...
Check out the video on taking the mooring cover on and off....looks easy enough to do daily....use search to locate.

Mooring cover is a cinch once you get used to it. If I'm really in a rush (past my curfew from the wife, late to catch the Caps game etc.) I can probably get it down in less than 4 minutes.

If the center toon taking on water is a concern perhaps use some 3M removable adhesive vinyl sheet to seal the hatch when away from it. It won't be 100% water tight but should keep most of it out. Obviously this could create ventilation issues within the storage but there won't be any perfect solutions.

Thats a great point. Seems in the end, regardless of cover type, you will still need to make an effort to keep fresh air circulating inside. Like others have mentioned, opening the lid when putting to bed for the week would be a great idea; as well as not leaving things like wet towels in the storage. "Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" comes to mind.
I agree like I said in the beginning I’m fortunate to have a covered slip. Boat out of the water and I will open and turn on my soon to be delivered 12v fan. I just don’t like folks coming out of the water, errant waves, squalls, or a sudden shower that would make Noah’s flood seem like a morning dew! I’ll get rid of damp, no reason to have it wet!

Check out the video on taking the mooring cover on and off....looks easy enough to do daily....use search to locate.

oh, i dont mind the cover. My inlaws did not like the cover on our last pontoon (non-bennington). Our aunts have the seat covers and love them. If needed, we will purchase the cover in future years but most likely wont need it. I will come up with something for the center tube. I just assumed it would have a drip edge and some sort of cover that let air in but not water. Nothing is perfect from the start, so I'll come up with some way to make it perfect for us. We cant wait to get our boat!

Dylan

Even if you’re on the fence with the center storage, it will be a nice feature for buyers looking for one down the road if you ever sell the boat.

I know you shouldn’t buy a boat for what the next owner will want, but center storage will likely be a plus down the road when we sell our boats for whatever reason.
It’s not like it’s something that can be easily added after manufacturing the boat
Definitely getting/using the center storage. Biggest gripe we always have is having enough room on the boat to move around. We have 2 little kids so having places to store equipment is huge.

Definitely getting/using the center storage. Biggest gripe we always have is having enough room on the boat to move around. We have 2 little kids so having places to store equipment is huge.
Yeah, thats my thinking too...Figure it will at least be a nice place to shove a soft cooler with food and drinks for the day

Back