DIY underwater RGB LED lights

CLDave

Reaction score
The two things my otherwise-loaded 2021 R25 didn't have was the side-LEDs above the toons (handled that last year: http://club.benningtonmarine.com/threads/diy-color-changing-leds-for-pontoons-for-50.11343/) and the underwater lights.

The side-lights were pre-wired, but the underwater lights were not (although I did have a spare switch to use). I'm always happy to DIY when I can save some significant bucks, so I found a nice set of RGB underwater "Drain Plug" lights on Amazon for $70: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R3W4BJH and set about installing them.

My boat is a tritoon and has the full waveshield underneath, so it was tricky getting the wire from the helm to the back of the boat. I ended up duct-taping 5 fiberglass rods (driveway markers) together, taping some string to the end, and fishing the wire from the cockpit through the access hole under the helm to the back of the boat on the starboard side. To help, I grabbed a Nest cam from the cabin and stuck it down the hole so I could see where I was going.

I'm very happy with the results!

I also added a Lexan cover to the helm to make an ad-hoc "glovebox." I need a magnet or latch, and will switch hinges so it sits closer to flush, but it worked out pretty well too. Posted photos below:

Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 3.51.42 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-18 at 3.54.42 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-18 at 3.55.05 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-18 at 3.55.18 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-18 at 3.56.05 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-18 at 3.56.53 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-18 at 3.57.21 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-18 at 3.57.26 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-18 at 3.58.17 PM.png

Those underwater lights look great. Well done!!!

I love it. Great job.

Sweet! Thanks for sharing...

Those look great!
I hate to steer the thread in a different direction, but I noticed you have the poly covers on the bunks. How do you like them? Is it easier to load? Or I should ask if you can winch the toon on without power loading? I can't move mine with just the winch, and some of the landings I go to specify no power loading. I just trim the motor up so it's not blowing the landing out.
Back to the lights, I'm going to add those.

I installed a couple of blue fin underwater lights and like them pretty well, the pair put out about 10k lumens.

Nice touch on the lexan addition.. Mind if I copy?

Nice touch on the lexan addition.. Mind if I copy?
Of course - that's what I shared for :) I'm modifying slightly with a different/offset-style hinge and a magnetic clasp soon. I'll do a separate post when I'm done.

BTW, I made a cardboard template and then transferred to the lexan. Works slick.

Those look great!
I hate to steer the thread in a different direction, but I noticed you have the poly covers on the bunks. How do you like them? Is it easier to load? Or I should ask if you can winch the toon on without power loading? I can't move mine with just the winch, and some of the landings I go to specify no power loading. I just trim the motor up so it's not blowing the landing out.
Back to the lights, I'm going to add those.
I've had both carpeted bunks and the poly - seems everywhere is going with poly now. Slides about the same when wet - but doesn't let it slip at all when dry. I also added some guides to the trailer to keep it in line when pulling out of the water - our landing is pretty steep.

Excellent. I got the underwater on mine, I love them, but of all the things I ordered that is the one I feel wasn't worth what I paid. I wish I had just installed my own like you did. But the other night we were coming home after dark and the underwater lights lit up the American Flag I have mounted on the ski bar and I felt so proud and tall! Enjoy

Update: I just figured out that Avalon uses the same switches as our Bennies (and you can order them from GreatLakesSkipper for $7)!

Replacing the "ACC" switch below with the "Underwater LT" switch. First photo is my current dash, second is of the actual item I just received. Yay!

Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 3.31.25 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-15 at 3.45.05 PM.png

Awesome lights. I have a 2013 22 RCW with underbelly skin. How did you route the wiring back to the help. Did the wiring that came with lights each make it all the way back. Just cant figure the best way to feed them thru. Dont have all the bells and whistles but do want both of what you did. Awesome job. How big of a hole did it take for the light mounting.

Awesome lights. I have a 2013 22 RCW with underbelly skin. How did you route the wiring back to the help. Did the wiring that came with lights each make it all the way back. Just cant figure the best way to feed them thru. Dont have all the bells and whistles but do want both of what you did. Awesome job. How big of a hole did it take for the light mounting.
I used a fishtape from the holes in the back of the pontoon to the hole in the helm - and I removed the rubber boot from inside the helm to make it easier to grab the wire.

The LED lights for the underwater setup only required a 1/2 inch hole - super simple to install. Good luck!

Thanks for sharing! How did you mount your starboard underwater light? I only have the transducer mount on the port tube. Thanks!

Thanks for sharing! How did you mount your starboard underwater light? I only have the transducer mount on the port tube. Thanks!
I have mounts on both sides so it was super simple - I've seen installs where they're placed on the transom next to the motor mounts. Other option would be to use some epoxy to glue it in place. Good luck!

I have mounts on both sides so it was super simple - I've seen installs where they're placed on the transom next to the motor mounts. Other option would be to use some epoxy to glue it in place. Good luck!
Thank you!

Back