Dogs on Boats

I'll have to tell the story of dog sitting my parents' dog last weekend. We always leave the front gate open for our schnauzer to walk up and watch the people, dogs, and scenery while we're going through no wake zones. Well, my parents have a dog that I "thought" was fairly smart (until this past weekend). Our dog went to the bow as we were in the no wake zone. The poodle decided to go up there as well. My wife was watching from the lounger beside the helm, where I was. All of a sudden, Kelly screamed out "STOP THE BOAT!". I hit neutral as she stated Jasper (the parent's poodle) stepped off of the front of the boat. I started looking behind us to see if bloody parts were going to surface, when I saw that stupid dog pop up about 15 - 20' behind us. I called it's name and it swam up to me so I could lift it back onto the boat. It was almost "Dog Gone!" for that one. 

This is the dumb dog that almost got ground into sausage. He just happens to be sitting there with my dad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! That is one way of getting out of dog sitting! Glad the little thing was ok. I'm sure a change of shorts was needed after that!  While we were beached a few weeks back my clumsy lab thought the rear deck was bigger and stepped backward right off the side of the boat!

Just my opinion but I think "Dumb" is leaving the gate open while you're moving (at any speed) and the motor is on. It doesn't happen on our boat.

Call it what you will, Carl. You are certainly an expert at your opinion. Our pup likes to see what's going on, too. You're the captain of your boat, so you make whatever rules you'd like. When the motor starts powering up, Bella comes back to the wife or I. She's not brave enough to stay up front.

And besides, I'm funnin' about my parent's dog. You're trying to take it to a little more personal level. But it's all good. Happy weekend to you.

With both our boys out the house we only have this baby, Riley is a trip, always ready for a boat ride, car ride, beach trip, etc. He loves everyone and everything.

Steve

Long overdue but here is our dog Jack, totally enjoying our Bennington.
20150816_124300.jpg

It was great going through this thread and seeing all the "kids"  :) .

Ever since Jake fell off the front of the boat last weekend I can't enjoy myself while we are on the boat because I'm scared to death he will fall in again and I can't take my eyes off of them.  What do you all do?  Let them have free run of the boat or train them to sit somewhere specific?  As soon as one of my boys get up on the back of a seat to look over the edge I instantly tell them to get down, but it's a constant thing.  Maybe it will get better over time?  I'm also worried about them jumping over the rail at the back of the boat.

Anyways, here is 2 of our 3 boys, the story behind it is in THIS THREAD.  After we hauled them back onto the boat. All Springers!  Jake is the tri colored and Henry is the liver and white.

/monthly_2016_05/5745aa65ba67b_large.JakeHenrywet.jpg.3d7c0b50c40e9aaab2a6a24d75041441.jpg

Fellow dogs owners, do any of you use a dog ramp/steps for your shipmates to get back out of the water?When my wife and I anchor to swim my dog Greta likes to come in with us. After several laps around the boat she is ready to get out. I just ordered a "Paws Aboard" ramp for her to get back onto the boat on her own instead of me having to get back on the boat to lift her out. (because in 5 minutes she'll want to be back in again) I am curious if anyone has any input on how well these work. 

Thanks.

D&D

We have the Paws Aboard and it works very well. I put an additional set of steps on the other side so humans can get out at the same time. 

I'll have to tell the story of dog sitting my parents' dog last weekend. We always leave the front gate open for our schnauzer to walk up and watch the people, dogs, and scenery while we're going through no wake zones. Well, my parents have a dog that I "thought" was fairly smart (until this past weekend). Our dog went to the bow as we were in the no wake zone. The poodle decided to go up there as well. My wife was watching from the lounger beside the helm, where I was. All of a sudden, Kelly screamed out "STOP THE BOAT!". I hit neutral as she stated Jasper (the parent's poodle) stepped off of the front of the boat. I started looking behind us to see if bloody parts were going to surface, when I saw that stupid dog pop up about 15 - 20' behind us. I called it's name and it swam up to me so I could lift it back onto the boat. It was almost "Dog Gone!" for that one. 

This is the dumb dog that almost got ground into sausage. He just happens to be sitting there with my dad.

We always leave the front gate open as it really helps keep the bugs at bay with the air flow when under power. That being said we've always had a 25 h.p. Honda on our previous 18' pontoon so we weren't going anywhere fast. Besides that I have German

Shorthaired Pointers and there is NO WAY that that little gate is going to stop them from moving out to the bow. Fortunately I have never had an incident where they took a tumble off when under power, but I still am always aware of how fast those things happen. 

Our Schnauzer is smart enough not to get too close to the water. If we don't open the front gate during the idle run through the canals so she can talk to the dogs on the shore, she bugs us to death, or stands up and tries to see over the seats from the deck. She's funny, but again, she's very smart. She loves the boat, but doesn't like to get in water. She can't even stand a bath. When she hears the water turn on, she runs and hides. 

8C3EFF5B-3CB6-4477-AF45-F24E1021B23A.jpg

Our Schnauzer is smart enough not to get too close to the water. If we don't open the front gate during the idle run through the canals so she can talk to the dogs on the shore, she bugs us to death, or stands up and tries to see over the seats from the deck. She's funny, but again, she's very smart. She loves the boat, but doesn't like to get in water. She can't even stand a bath. When she hears the water turn on, she runs and hides. 

Cute dog!

Fellow dogs owners, do any of you use a dog ramp/steps for your shipmates to get back out of the water?When my wife and I anchor to swim my dog Greta likes to come in with us. After several laps around the boat she is ready to get out. I just ordered a "Paws Aboard" ramp for her to get back onto the boat on her own instead of me having to get back on the boat to lift her out. (because in 5 minutes she'll want to be back in again) I am curious if anyone has any input on how well these work. 

Thanks.

D&D

Where did you order it from and what was the cost if you don't mind me asking?!? 

My sons dogs jump off the boat swim for 2 seconds then back up the ladder where we have to lift them out. Then they jump off again and do it al over again...........Gets tiring!

I googled "Paws Aboard" and several distributors have them. It retails for just over $200.00, but I found it online at Sears (who knew they were still in business?) for $158.00 and free shipping.

D&D

Back