Engine Quit, would restart after 15 minutes but stall again with any speed - Solution Found & Misc:

LaurencetheAdventurer

Reaction score
Per my dealer service department:

Engine Issue:
The nylon pick up tube in the gas tank is attached to the fitting by heating up the tube and letting it cool. This connection point was sucking up air, which resulted in the fuel pump failing (M350). Apparently a known issue, both replaced - now working (not yet tested). Possible an issue with our 120 degree heat here in Havasu. I asked if they were able to include any type of clamp to prevent in the future - they said no. Guess I will have to hope and pray for next summer that I don't have a repeat - but at least we know the issue!

Other Parts:
After 7 weeks, still waiting for other parts from Bennington including the corrected capacity tag; plastic feet on the center fill seat; Floor storage seal; Active Trim on original order but not installed. Champaign problems......LOL.

Misc:
  1. The lower plastic engine cover wrap cowl that is held on by 2 bolts will not align - "known issue, no way to fix, they keep popping out, Mercury has no solution".
  2. Power Steering Loss: "The pump draws a bunch of power and often runs the batteries low - run on both batteries". Hmmm, but consistent with issues experienced where power steering fails and starts working when I switch over battery.
  3. LED lighting color off: "No way to fix this, issue with quality of lights".
  4. Gas Treatments: "Yes on the QuickSilver products QuickCare,Cleen,Store."
  5. Bilge Pump - don't know why they don't wire direct - they re-wired so remains on with all other systems off (monsoons during summer means boat fills with water).
  6. Prop Slippage / Loss of Power - going in reverse fixes - "Could not reproduce issue, checked nylon prop seal and hub - no issues".

Overall - happy with service, communicated well, pricing for 20 hour service, installing new under deck dock lights, Prop Repair and Bilge Pump Direct Wire $1,211. total.

Might have to take a Nov trip out - still 80 degrees at Havasu!

My best - Larry

36 degrees here as I type. Four hours north got nearly 11 inches of lake affect snow Tuesday into Wednesday. Winter is coming.

Where our old cottage is located (3 hours north from our home) got enough to cover the ski slopes. Shanty Creek Resort, Michigan:
B3B83B24-A851-4CE8-AF5E-DEA1CC66A70E.jpeg

36 degrees here as I type. Four hours north got nearly 11 inches of lake affect snow Tuesday into Wednesday. Winter is coming.

Where our old cottage is located (3 hours north from our home) got enough to cover the ski slopes. Shanty Creek Resort, Michigan:
View attachment 31432
Too early for that! Ha! Just finished trimming bushes around the house in shorts!

Per my dealer service department:

Engine Issue:
The nylon pick up tube in the gas tank is attached to the fitting by heating up the tube and letting it cool. This connection point was sucking up air, which resulted in the fuel pump failing (M350). Apparently a known issue, both replaced - now working (not yet tested). Possible an issue with our 120 degree heat here in Havasu. I asked if they were able to include any type of clamp to prevent in the future - they said no. Guess I will have to hope and pray for next summer that I don't have a repeat - but at least we know the issue!

Other Parts:
After 7 weeks, still waiting for other parts from Bennington including the corrected capacity tag; plastic feet on the center fill seat; Floor storage seal; Active Trim on original order but not installed. Champaign problems......LOL.

Misc:
  1. The lower plastic engine cover wrap cowl that is held on by 2 bolts will not align - "known issue, no way to fix, they keep popping out, Mercury has no solution".
  2. Power Steering Loss: "The pump draws a bunch of power and often runs the batteries low - run on both batteries". Hmmm, but consistent with issues experienced where power steering fails and starts working when I switch over battery.
  3. LED lighting color off: "No way to fix this, issue with quality of lights".
  4. Gas Treatments: "Yes on the QuickSilver products QuickCare,Cleen,Store."
  5. Bilge Pump - don't know why they don't wire direct - they re-wired so remains on with all other systems off (monsoons during summer means boat fills with water).
  6. Prop Slippage / Loss of Power - going in reverse fixes - "Could not reproduce issue, checked nylon prop seal and hub - no issues".

Overall - happy with service, communicated well, pricing for 20 hour service, installing new under deck dock lights, Prop Repair and Bilge Pump Direct Wire $1,211. total.

Might have to take a Nov trip out - still 80 degrees at Havasu!

My best - Larry
As far as your power steering loss. Doesn't it run under your alternator while underway? Or are they directly wired to your batteries and the alternator is not recharging the batteries efficiently?!? Curious?

The power steering issue is a common one - running both batteries appears to almost universally fix. Another reason to run 1+2 while underway (bonus: keeps both batteries charged). I only switch to one battery when I know I'm going to be running current for several hours - parked at a sandbar/etc.

I may be the black sheep here but if you are required to be on battery 1+2 to ensure you have power to your power steering, are you not hiding an underlying issue?

This is me with my lean manufacturing hat on and driving to root cause....

This one has me perplexed on this known power steering issue. A known problem is still a problem. I’d think that a manufacturer would need to deal with this issue. Plenty of people have just one battery, and don’t have a dual battery option. I just struggle to understand the expectation being that one must run on 1+2 to maintain power to a power steering unit. That doesn’t seem like a reasonable solution. As someone with dual batteries, if I had the problem… sure, no worries. However, it just doesn’t seem like a reasonable situation.

Last edited:
As far as your power steering loss. Doesn't it run under your alternator while underway? Or are they directly wired to your batteries and the alternator is not recharging the batteries efficiently?!? Curious?
Given the power switches turn off everything, with the wiring all running through the hub (from my quick look), I assume it runs off the battery, alternator charges the battery. Going to have to take a closer look at my next visit. I am also going to get a battery meter and leave it on the boat so I can start testing real time - the Simrad does not seem to provide very reliable results. The service comment that the power steering draws significant current certainly answers most of the issues I have read here.....we shall see.

I may be the black sheep here but if you are required to be on battery 1+2 to ensure you have power to your power steering, are you not hiding an underlying issue?

This is me with my lean manufacturing hat on and driving to root cause....
Can't disagree - I have seen 4 posts on this same issue (Power Steering stops working, Battery reading fine on Simrad, switch battery to other, works). I will be testing in more detail going forward, will get a battery tester, and spend some time reviewing my wiring. I will keep all posted!

Back