Fuel Gauge Issue - Bouncing between empty and nearly full

dclboater

Reaction score
I mentioned this in a reply to another post, but the only thing holding up delivery of my new boat is an issue with the fuel reading. My boat has the VeeThree R3 digital gauges (which I am finding out is fairly new and not all that common). Originally, they were able to get fuel, voltage and trim to work, but could not get any engine readings such as tach. It turns out that the power connection for the NMEA 2000 network was not properly seated and once they fixed this the engine data started working as expected. However, at that point, the fuel level started bouncing from nearly full to zero at about 30 second intervals. The service manager feels confident that when it is accurate when it reads, but is not sure why it is now dropping to zero and then comes back up.

Bennington is sending 2 sensors which hopefully will be there today - a fuel level sensor and another sensor I hadn't heard of (maybe fuel lodder sensor?). The service team didn't seem overly confident that this will actually resolve the issue so curious if anyone has any other thoughts?

They've already checked the sending unit and it tests fine. It's strange to me that it seemed to be working okay until they got power to the NMEA network- could that somehow be related?

Seems odd to me too. Unfortunately, I have no insights to offer. I hope some others in here do. On the flip side, is this the last issue and then your boat will be all set? I sure hope so. Good luck captain!!!

Seems odd to me too. Unfortunately, I have no insights to offer. I hope some others in here do. On the flip side, is this the last issue and then your boat will be all set? I sure hope so. Good luck captain!!!
Fingers crossed, this is the last issue. I'm holding back some excitement since this has dragged out for over 3 weeks now with seemingly daily disappointments. That said, I feel bad complaining knowing what you went through and are still sorting out!

Fingers crossed, this is the last issue. I'm holding back some excitement since this has dragged out for over 3 weeks now with seemingly daily disappointments. That said, I feel bad complaining knowing what you went through and are still sorting out!
Hard to be optimistic when something drags out. But you’ll be there soon. I cannot wait to read your first post after everything is set, and you are enjoying the water.

As for us…trying to reset my attitude in a proactive and positive direction.

Unfortunately new sensor(s) didn't work. If anyone has any other ideas on what would cause the fuel gauge to bounce around (they now say it is actually happening every few seconds) would appreciate the insight! I'll be back on the phone with Bennington and the dealer tomorrow.

Is it bouncing while underway? or at idle? I've notice mine bounces around when i'm underway. Certain times more than others....

Is it bouncing while underway? or at idle? I've notice mine bounces around when i'm underway. Certain times more than others....
This is happening even when sitting out of water and level at the dealers shop.

Gotta be a pinched wire or bad short somewhere. If possible to run a new set of wires to the sensor that would hopefully fix.
The next thing they plan to try is replacing the fuel gauge and will start with just running new wires over the seats- so hopefully that will tell us if it is a wiring issue. Appreciate the advice!

Back