Help with boat build

Well, I do love my swingback, so if that gets you the ability to go full-gonzo on the 56-gallon tank, I'd highly recommend. I've had the dual-lounger (RCW) layout and now the Swingback (SWB) and I think the SWB is the most versatile option available.

With my 350 I can tube all day at half-throttle and burn through about 20 gallons. At WOT, I'm burning fuel like I have a 5" hole in the tank - Burn rate is 33 GPH. Looks like the 300 burns around 30 GPH at WOT. Looks like the 250 Does about 26.1 GPH, and you're only losing about 3-5 MPH at WOT. Reference: https://www.boat-fuel-economy.com/mercury-outboard-fuel-consumption-us-gallons.

The big ponies are mostly for bragging rights. 250 and up is really fine, unless you're racing other 'toons on the water. :)

That absolutely blows my mind that a 26' boat with the ESP doesn't come with the 50gal tank found on, well, pretty much any other length boat with the ESP.

I'll echo what Vikingstaff said: I wouldn't settle for 31gal tank with one of the big displacement engines. Unless you want to carry 4-6 5gal jerry cans onboard, thus taking up even more space.

Have you priced out a 25RL (same deck and pontoon length as a 26LXL) with similar engine and options? The ESP on it does come with a 54gal tank.
You may not be too far apart in price territory or dealer wiggle room.

Screenshot_20201027-182837.png

Last edited:
Dealer is trying to talk me out of the RGB underwater illumination. Anybody have this feature and use it much? I don't foresee we will be doing much night swimming (since my wife doesn't like the idea of being out after dark) but I like all the lights. I am keeping the side illumination. Is that gong to be good enough for evening boating? Love to hear everyone's thoughts. Thanks!
Careful! The underwater lights attract the elusive but deadly lake shark! Seriously, though, I personally do not like lots of lights. To me, lots of red and blues and whites coming from sides and bottoms is akin to someone playing loud music. The last thing I would want to deal with is a nearby boat that is glowing multiple colors and adding light pollution to the lake. Seems harsh, but nighttime boating is supposed to be calm and peaceful. Again, to me.

That absolutely blows my mind that a 26' boat with the ESP doesn't come with the 50gal tank found on, well, pretty much any other length boat with the ESP.

I'll echo what Vikingstaff said: I wouldn't settle for 31gal tank with one of the big displacement engines. Unless you want to carry 4-6 5gal jerry cans onboard, thus taking up even more space.

Have you priced out a 25RL (same deck and pontoon length as a 26LXL) with similar engine and options? The ESP on it does come with a 54gal tank.
You may not be too far apart in price territory or dealer wiggle room.
I had my dealer price out the R and it was about $10,000 more so that is a no go. Engineering got back to me and said with the 26 LXL and ESP the standard fuel tank is still 24.5 gal with the upgrade to 31. I have looked at other floor plans but the wife doesn't want to have to go boat shopping again. In looking at what we will be doing most, like AuthorizedUser pointed out, we will mostly be cruising around slowly on our local lakes. Not many are big enough for hours of WOT and our son is 22 and moved away :( so not much water sports unless they come to visit. Guess we will have to take our bathroom break near a gas pump then.

Not to hijack this thread but as I build my own 22LSR, debating on the extended deck option upgrade in the in-floor storage. We wont be skiing so the storage wont need to hold skis. Are both these pretty much no brainers and good upgrade options? Thanks

Not to hijack this thread but as I build my own 22LSR, debating on the extended deck option upgrade in the in-floor storage. We wont be skiing so the storage wont need to hold skis. Are both these pretty much no brainers and good upgrade options? Thanks

Yes and Yes! Both of these are both highly recommended and extremely practical. Cannot go wrong adding them.

Yes and Yes! Both of these are both highly recommended and extremely practical. Cannot go wrong adding them.

Appreciate the reply. Currently hashing out the deal with the dealer and wanted to see what the consensus was. Thanks

As Vikingstaff said both are great options. I feel the extended deck is a must so you have room for swimming, diving and when you have to put up your play pen cover it’s much easier to be able to walk around on your deck. As far as the tritoon storage locker goes, we won’t be skiing or anything either but that would be a great spot to put your cover when you’re not using it. It’s also big enough for a whole bunch of water noodles or water toys and then you’re not tripping over them on the deck. These are both excellent things for resale value in the future when it’s time to upgrade.

Careful! The underwater lights attract the elusive but deadly lake shark! Seriously, though, I personally do not like lots of lights. To me, lots of red and blues and whites coming from sides and bottoms is akin to someone playing loud music. The last thing I would want to deal with is a nearby boat that is glowing multiple colors and adding light pollution to the lake. Seems harsh, but nighttime boating is supposed to be calm and peaceful. Again, to me.

To me, the side lights are insurance to make me as visible as possible at bar close. If you're on a popular/resort lake, more visibility = safety. You do want to make sure to stay away from Nav colors (no red or green) as well.

As Vikingstaff said both are great options. I feel the extended deck is a must so you have room for swimming, diving and when you have to put up your play pen cover it’s much easier to be able to walk around on your deck. As far as the tritoon storage locker goes, we won’t be skiing or anything either but that would be a great spot to put your cover when you’re not using it. It’s also big enough for a whole bunch of water noodles or water toys and then you’re not tripping over them on the deck. These are both excellent things for resale value in the future when it’s time to upgrade.

Took the advice and placed the order today for my 22LSR. Added the extended deck and storage as suggested. Went with the 175 Yamaha SHO with SPS, usually only 3 of us and did the Simrad7, and upgraded the kicker stereo. I figure I can do the speakers myself pretty easily if I want some better sound. I did opt for the dual batteries with the master power switch, seemed like a popular option many owners added on their second boat. LED lights, ski bar, and some other options..all in all, what I wanted and managed to not let myself go overboard.

For reference, was at about 27% off MSRP price at this time. Dealt with 4 dealers to see who could offer the best value. They say 3-4 months for delivery. Excited.

Took the advice and placed the order today for my 22LSR. Added the extended deck and storage as suggested. Went with the 175 Yamaha SHO with SPS, usually only 3 of us and did the Simrad7, and upgraded the kicker stereo. I figure I can do the speakers myself pretty easily if I want some better sound. I did opt for the dual batteries with the master power switch, seemed like a popular option many owners added on their second boat. LED lights, ski bar, and some other options..all in all, what I wanted and managed to not let myself go overboard.

For reference, was at about 27% off MSRP price at this time. Dealt with 4 dealers to see who could offer the best value. They say 3-4 months for delivery. Excited.
Congratulations! Sounds like you have an amazing Bennington on the way! Welcome to the Bennington family!!

That’s awesome! Sounds like a great boat. When you get it in the spring make sure you post pictures for us. You got lots of options and got a good price from the sounds of it. Enjoy!

Sounds like you got a great build, solid price, and are now awaiting a fantastic boat. I think everyone on here with the 150-200 HP motors on the SPS hulls can testify to how great that combination is on the water. You wont be disappointed. :cool:

Looking forward to pictures come spring, or it didn’t happen. ;)

Just wanted to provide an update... I finalized my boat build (I hope) and just waiting for a build date now.

Exterior: I got my 26LXL in Ocean Blue (textured panels) and Silver textured accent panel. Went with the curved bimini with the Ocean Blue canvas and extended deck.

Interior: We chose the Pillowtop Diamond Stitched seats in silver simtex with the ocean blue accents and the standard woven vinyl in silver. Got the bow gate seat, ottoman, elevated helm with Rockford PMX 2 upgrade, and RGB illuminated cupholders and side illumination.

Performance: Went with the standard ESP with the Yamaha 300 digital controls, Simrad 7, dual batteries, upgraded fuel tank of 31.7 gallons (still bummed I couldn't do a 50+ gallon tank), in floor storage, sealed lifting strakes, power steering, underdeck wave shield, and master power switch.

Exterior options: Stainless LED dock light housing, pop up cleats (bow & aft), Heavy duty rub rail and rub rail protectors, and sharkhide (no charge due to time of the year), and ski pylon.

After giving it some time I have gotten over all the challenges of my layout. I wanted the changing room to be empty, useable space (batteries and fuel tank will be in there) but the wife assured me it would be ok (she thought about a porti potty in there but now won't have room). Also as everyone pointed out with only a 31 gallon tank and not the 50+ gallon tank I will be a frequent visitor to the gas pump if my 300 is thirsty. We looked at other floor plans but in the end decided this is exactly what we wanted. We plan to be relaxing at sandbars and floating around on the lake. As time has gone on I am now genuinely excited for my build to be complete and see my new boat before it sits for the long winter up here and waits for ice to melt. Looking forward to that maiden voyage in May...

Just wanted to provide an update... I finalized my boat build (I hope) and just waiting for a build date now.

Exterior: I got my 26LXL in Ocean Blue (textured panels) and Silver textured accent panel. Went with the curved bimini with the Ocean Blue canvas and extended deck.

Interior: We chose the Pillowtop Diamond Stitched seats in silver simtex with the ocean blue accents and the standard woven vinyl in silver. Got the bow gate seat, ottoman, elevated helm with Rockford PMX 2 upgrade, and RGB illuminated cupholders and side illumination.

Performance: Went with the standard ESP with the Yamaha 300 digital controls, Simrad 7, dual batteries, upgraded fuel tank of 31.7 gallons (still bummed I couldn't do a 50+ gallon tank), in floor storage, sealed lifting strakes, power steering, underdeck wave shield, and master power switch.

Exterior options: Stainless LED dock light housing, pop up cleats (bow & aft), Heavy duty rub rail and rub rail protectors, and sharkhide (no charge due to time of the year), and ski pylon.

After giving it some time I have gotten over all the challenges of my layout. I wanted the changing room to be empty, useable space (batteries and fuel tank will be in there) but the wife assured me it would be ok (she thought about a porti potty in there but now won't have room). Also as everyone pointed out with only a 31 gallon tank and not the 50+ gallon tank I will be a frequent visitor to the gas pump if my 300 is thirsty. We looked at other floor plans but in the end decided this is exactly what we wanted. We plan to be relaxing at sandbars and floating around on the lake. As time has gone on I am now genuinely excited for my build to be complete and see my new boat before it sits for the long winter up here and waits for ice to melt. Looking forward to that maiden voyage in May...

Man, you're going to have one sweet boat! Congrats on the first step!

You’re going to love it. It’s a great build. Excited for you!

Back