Home improvement mishap!

That sucks but it could always be worse..... This should make you feel a little better.

Years back, VP of a local company bought the model house of builder for $900K. They moved in that week and left Fri afternoon for weekend. The washer hose burst (1st floor) and flooded the 1st floor and entire finished basement. I think they estimated appx 40-45,000 gallons of water pumped into house ..... OUCH !!!!

Lesson: don't cheap out on washer hoses and replace them every 5 years or so ......

Last edited by a moderator:
It's always something right?!? Hopefully one day (after everything is fixed and back to normal) you'll be able to look back on this ordeal and laugh.........Best of luck w/the clean up...........

The biggest worry now is if they will cover it under insurance, and if it will be worth it to file a claim. I've never had a claim with this company, so not sure what their attitude is. Guess we'll find out soon. Hopefully the adjuster calls/comes soon since I am due to renew my insurance in the next 2 weeks and the response I get will decide if I switch companies or not!

Ouch!  I wish you the best of luck in getting everything squared away.

And get out on the boat already!

If I'm being 100% honest, not even sure I can afford to take the boat out right now, or even this summer for that matter. I thought about telling my dealer if he had someone seriously interested in a boat like mine to call me. I know that I'll kick myself and regret it later, but man that payment could do a lot of good right now. We'll see I guess. Not sure I'd be willing to part with it. They would have to make it worth my while, like Todd's Jeep! 

Wow Derrick, that would suck if you got rid of your boat .....

Take a deep breath, it will all work out.

Maybe that's exactly what you need to de-stress, some boat time to try and forget about everything else, at least for a little while.

Yeah, I don't want to. I doubt I will. Technically it would be the smart thing to do. I kinda figure the bank was dumb enough to lend me all this money, so if they want it, well they'll just have to come and take it!! Haha don't get me wrong, I've never been late or missed a payment in my life, it's just mighty tight right now so we have to either change our ways, or give something up. Maybe this summer it is boating. :(

I had a roof leak 2 weeks ago, and got 2 gallons of water in my basement.  It was a new roof, too.  You'd think it'd been 6", from what my daughter said when she found the leak.  Got the roofer to remove siding and re-flash the fireplace chase.

Then, she said I also had a major leak in the utility room.  It ended up being my heat pump with a low freon charge and a frozen A coil.  It was a quick and easy recharge by a HVAC contractor.

Last year, the hot water heater leaked and had to be replaced (by me.)  Then a pin hole showed up in a copper pipe and ruined the ceiling.

This week, we had a 60' oak tree to be removed, as it could fall on the neighbor's $ million lake house.  But the tree surgeon removed the wrong tree--$600.  Needless to say, I'm not paying him.  Still have to get it taken down piece by piece from a bucket truck.

And rebuilding that 36' balcony floor has been a 5 week project.  I'm 2 days from finishing the porcelain tiles, and will then be rebuilding the second floor railings.  And it's been hot as "the dickens" out there. 

Two houses are a never ending project--one in summer and one in the fall.

Wow Bama, that's a lot on your plate!! It just sucked that we had to reno our bathroom. Don't get me wrong, it desperately needed to be done and I'm happy with the final outcome. Just wish that our funding of the whole reno was done by increasing our credit card limit! Stupid, I know, but we wanted to get it done before our guest had arrived last Wednesday. So in my classic style, we finished on Tuesday! It just took away any wiggle room we had for funding boating. Because of course my boat insurance ($765) was due yesterday, house insurance in under 2 weeks, and city taxes in a couple weeks, plus if I need to come up with a grand for my deductible, could make it interesting!  Looks like hot dogs it is! Haha

Damn $765 boat insurance ???? WOW !!

Yeah, we seem to hit some rough spots here and there. I am just like you, never missed a payment, but if things were to go south, bank can come get the stuff. I'm just starting (again) to sell off some of the "hobby" stuff I've been accumulating. Winter is brutal for me as I'm bored out of my skull and find numerous hobbies to "try".

During boating season, well I guess I'm just too occupied ... :)

Keep your chin up buddy, it's just a bump in the road of life. It will smooth out.

Thanks Dave, sorry for being a Debbie Downer everyone, it'll all work out in the end I suppose.  Yeah insurance is high, and that was almost $200 less than the company I originally was with quoted! I found out about this company from my cousin and checked with my agent, turns out he has used them for years for home insurance and they never once mentioned that they also had boat insurance!! My agent was quite happy!

Keep your head up Bulldog. I feel your pain: I never had so much money go out as I have the last 2 years. New house is beautiful but we are having major drywall issues and leaks. Attorney wants 8300 just for retainer. Both kids needed braces-another 5400 apiece. And everything seems to be breaking...

I should have been enjoying a campfire but I'm stuck in bed with a summer flu.

Keep your head up Bulldog. I feel your pain: I never had so much money go out as I have the last 2 years. New house is beautiful but we are having major drywall issues and leaks. Attorney wants 8300 just for retainer. Both kids needed braces-another 5400 apiece. And everything seems to be breaking...

I should have been enjoying a campfire but I'm stuck in bed with a summer flu.
Willb,

You don't have some of the Chinese drywall issues do you? That's some nasty stuff!!!!

Wow, sorry to hear the issues Derrick. I know you were dying to get in the water but here in the US we boat outdoors. On a serious note, keep your head up and if selling the benny means keeping a roof over your head, we'll understand.

Wow, sorry to hear the issues Derrick. I know you were dying to get in the water but here in the US we boat outdoors. On a serious note, keep your head up and if selling the benny means keeping a roof over your head, we'll understand.
Thanks Andy, don't think we are at that point yet, probably just need a little wake up call to start trying to cut back on unnecessary spending. Probably would have been better to figure that out before I dumped in the neighborhood of $2500 for an RC car that I haven't even used once yet!! Although the nephew did get a Traxxas Gravedigger for his birthday, so I could probably go have some fun with him. I'm sure we'll figure it out, maybe I'll get lucky and win the lottery and I'll hold a club raffle and just give my boat away!! Haha

Back