Issues with bimini-mounted "all around white light"

gigem

Reaction score
Spent some time on the boat solo yesterday, which gave me an opportunity to do an inspection and handle some small repairs and other stuff that was long overdue.

One item that has me confused is my bimini-mounted all around white light. Since I have owned the boat (purchased used) the light mast has never wanted to stay up. It always end up leaning down, no matter how hard I tightened the knob. I looked at it closer yesterday, and something doesn't look right. It looks like it is supposed to be one of those locking systems that you see on boat antennas, wall mounted flag poles, etc. where there are interlocking "teeth" to hold the thing in position. You loosen the knob so that you can adjust to where you want, and then when you tighten the knob the teeth engage to lock in the position.

But this light mount only has teeth on one side. Nothing to "engage" with. Hopefully you can see from the picture.

Am I missing a part? Or do I need to replace this whole light? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• all around white light.jpg
    all around white light.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 66
Yes, it is missing the teeth. Both sides have teeth-or supposed to.

Your picture looks the same as mine. I assumed there was something missing because mine would lay down all the time as well.
I had a backing the boat into the shop quick before it rains mishap (left the bimini in radar position) and bent the stick. Had to cut the mast in half to get it straight and haven't had the problem since.
Shorter shafts are easier to keep erect :)
It's not a "fix" I recommend but worked for me.

Your picture looks the same as mine. I assumed there was something missing because mine would lay down all the time as well.
I had a backing the boat into the shop quick before it rains mishap (left the bimini in radar position) and bent the stick. Had to cut the mast in half to get it straight and haven't had the problem since.
That is good info! I couldn't imagine how I was missing a piece. The base should have the opposing teeth. Dumb design I guess. I think I will take it apart and see if I can stick a big rubber washer or grommet on there for the teeth to grab onto, maybe that will help.

The other idea I got from your story was to cut mine down a bit. The only reason I need to ever adjust mine is because it barely touches the roof on my boat slip when I have the boat on the lift all the way. If I cut the shaft down a few inches I could leave it up all the time. Would only need to adjust it when the bimini is down, which is almost never.

Thanks!

Is that a Perko (or brand with a similar design)? I don't think Perko puts teeth on both sides.

Is that a Perko (or brand with a similar design)? I don't think Perko puts teeth on both sides.
Yes, it is a Perko. I just came back from the boat. Tried to put a split locking washer on it, no help at all. This is a dumb design. I cranked it pretty much as hard as I could, still easy to lay down by hand. I think I will make it "semi permanent" with some VHB tape, and shop for a new light when I am bored someday.

I think they're supposed to have a rubber gasket/washer to keep them in place - at least that's what I'm going to do. I'm in the same boat (ha) as you guys - metal with "teeth" on one side and smooth on the other. Mine holds okay until I get moving past 45 mph in chop, then it bounces itself down.

Shorter shafts are easier to keep erect :) You're Killin me!!!

I had a star washer, however every time I lowered the Bimini to put boat on lift, I needed to move or adjust the position of the light. So I just took the light off and stored it. It is available if I need it when out at night and not in the way when the top is down. I was just thinking that why do I need the Bimini up at night anyway, no sun. Maybe I can just relocate the light to a rail?

I had a star washer, however every time I lowered the Bimini to put boat on lift, I needed to move or adjust the position of the light. So I just took the light off and stored it. It is available if I need it when out at night and not in the way when the top is down. I was just thinking that why do I need the Bimini up at night anyway, no sun. Maybe I can just relocate the light to a rail?

I wouldn't do it without researching. USCG calls for the 360 degree light to be 1 meter above your red and green sidelights. If you want to run a stern light you still need a masthead light that covers 225 degrees forward.

Check 33 CFR 83.

For posterity here is mine, there are two "teeth" on the opposite end which holds the light in place, but shakes loose after running. I put an 8mm (5/16?) split lock washer to keep tension on it.

D0DCFDB5-9108-459C-809D-51F9D82DEA33.jpeg
77E30A19-C3DA-4305-890D-FDBE07A66042.jpeg
C05D23F2-0732-42EA-85CC-1F6BDEA51023.jpeg

I wouldn't do it without researching. USCG calls for the 360 degree light to be 1 meter above your red and green sidelights. If you want to run a stern light you still need a masthead light that covers 225 degrees forward.

Check 33 CFR 83.
That 1 Meter fuel is if you have a Mast. On the West Marine site I found "The white stern light must cover 135 degrees and be visible for 2 nautical miles, or you can substitute one 360-degree all-around white light." 1633354356708.png

Here is the pertinent CFR section as it relates to height of the all-around light, take it for what it is. I am by no means an expert on the subject:

7037E808-F703-4C0B-8CDD-EB896FEF9B9C.jpeg

Spent some time on the boat solo yesterday, which gave me an opportunity to do an inspection and handle some small repairs and other stuff that was long overdue.

One item that has me confused is my bimini-mounted all around white light. Since I have owned the boat (purchased used) the light mast has never wanted to stay up. It always end up leaning down, no matter how hard I tightened the knob. I looked at it closer yesterday, and something doesn't look right. It looks like it is supposed to be one of those locking systems that you see on boat antennas, wall mounted flag poles, etc. where there are interlocking "teeth" to hold the thing in position. You loosen the knob so that you can adjust to where you want, and then when you tighten the knob the teeth engage to lock in the position.

But this light mount only has teeth on one side. Nothing to "engage" with. Hopefully you can see from the picture.

Am I missing a part? Or do I need to replace this whole light? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
I had the exact problem with mine. I don’t remember exactly but I believe I added a small lock washer. Haven had the problem again.

Here is the pertinent CFR section as it relates to height of the all-around light, take it for what it is. I am by no means an expert on the subject:

View attachment 31257
Thanks for clearing this up! The pole is about 2 feet, the rail is about 2 feet high so this is about 48 inches over the port and starboard lights which are on the deck. I could get a tape measure but 1 meter is 39.37 inches. Then the light mounted on my rail will be above this. Might just stick the light in the flag pole holder to keep things simple. I do take the flag down when it gets dark.

I run around quite a bit very early morning and at night, so just having that light be as visible as possible helps other boaters from running into me. Especially when anchoring near the channel when I'm fishing, it gets dicey especially with those bass boats flying by at 70mph!

All situational though, your use may be much different.

Back