Looking for my first pontoon

Spf720

Reaction score
New to this forum and would like some opinions on boat choices. We currently have a SeaRay 260 that is a great boat for adults but not so great for kids and now grandkids. We have rented a few pontoon boats and have really enjoyed them so we are going to make the plunge. What we are working with - boat will be kept at the marina on a decent size lake in Maine (Sebago) we need room for maximum 8 adults and 6 children under 10. Most of the time it will be half that or just my wife and I. need enough power to pull a tube or two and to get off the lake when weather picks up. While I like the higher end boats the reality is I don’t want to worry about the boat all the time With the kids running around. I am struggling to figure out the alphabet soup with the boats. i would like to stay around $100k with a max of $150k (less is fine although I am not sure if we can get the size boat and motor for much less)
Thoughts?

That budget will get you more boat than you need based on your description. You can keep more money than you think. Ha! You can get a lot of boat for less than 100k. L-series Benny's are really nice, and you can buy them in the 80s all day.

I was always told that weight capacity that trumps “persons” capacity. I think most plates are based on 150#/person.

So your kids, assuming smaller, will take up less of that weight. That weight capacity assumes people, gear, and fuel. Also make sure to have enough after gear for all.

Everyone on here just got giddy. Time to go shopping with someone else's money!

If you can hit the boat show (NH is having theirs this year), it would allow you to actually sit on the different size boats. I was set on a 23 foot until I actually walked on a 20 and realized it was plenty for me. You will want more in the 23+ range, especially on Sebago, and the amount of people you will have sometimes. On the 20 I can fit 11 I think, but it would be tight, 9 is more comfortable. I guess that depends on layout though.

This site is great for researching the options if you are ordering new. I would settle on length, layout, then get the biggest motor they will put on it/you can afford, then work on options.

How do you decipher the Bennington codes? I like the look and layout of the 23LTFBST just no idea what the letters mean other than a 23’ L series. I also like the. RC 25 RCWST which I am assuming is a 25’ R series although it is a big jump in price It is a larger engine at 250hp

CW is Center Walk
This is an older cheat sheet with model designations . ( I have a request in for an updated one )
Attachment below

Attachments

• Bennington Model Cheat Sheet (3).pdf
    22.7 KB · Views: 22
I suggest getting to a Bennington showroom or boat show. That way you can walk through and experience the size and layouts you’re considering Great family activity.

For example, I knew I liked the Bowrider but initially thought no need for the additional length. The minute we compared the 23L to 25L it was apparent we wanted more space in the U lounge based on our needs. Capacity at 15. Suggest the dual battery and power Bimini options too. One too many times on our SeaRay fingers crossed at startup. My dad also 20 year plus Bennington owner with manual Bimini - lives with it but wouldn’t do that again.

Have fun!

Here is an Updated Cheat Sheet .

Attachments

• Y.pdf
    186.1 KB · Views: 25
For your needs, I'd recommend at least a tritoon with a 150. Models and length are going to be something you'd need to see and experience to really choose - but table stakes on a larger body of water and for tubing and watersports is 3 toons. The rest is kinda bragging rights and convenience/comfort.

Your budget should be completely doable with a 250 or 300. I personally wanted as much room as possible and opted for a bit longer boat than I was originally thinking - 25 vs 23. Good luck and share what you end up picking!

Less would be great. When I look at boats to fit 15 people it seems like I need one 26’ which looked like around the 100k range.

I max out at 12 on my 23', so I would agree you're into the 25'+ size.

With that many people and little kids the more buoyancy and horsepower the better IMO. If the weather is snotty or quickly turns south on you, you'll appreciate the extra handling characteristics "bigger and more" offer. I was chased by a severe thunderstorm down the river once time (i.e. lightning, hail and 30+ gusts), and with 5 adults on board it was a bit of a nail biter. My 23 handled it very well even though I had to actively drive it with 2-3 footers following sea... if I was in a 20' with a small engine it would have been borderline scary.

Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you’ll need to go big, both length and horsepower. We have a 25 GCW (replaced by the L) with a 250. Many times it’s just two or three of us, but when everyone shows up, it could be 13. Obviously more crowded, but plenty capable.

Not many say I wish I had less horsepower and maybe only a few wish for smaller boat. I too had a hard time trying to figure all the nuances of the different boats and what was standard and an option on the other. I think the way to go is select anything you think you want on the boat (like lighting, fancy stereo, etc...) and then pick the size you need. Once that is done start at the top price point you can enter and come down, ie Q's, R's and so on. In some sort of perverse way it's sorta fun.
Go to salesman and then price them out, you may see a bigger markdown on the pricier boats.
Then pick colors, etc. Standby for creep on the build process, I know I kept adding stuff.

I spent a couple of years shopping - I had been a tag-a-long on friends boats for almost 10 years: With 4 kids, dogs, lots of friends and family, though sometimes just the wife and I - Concluded the 26LXSB ESP with 350 Merc was ideal - which has proven to be the case. Pulls tubers no matter how full the boat, the SB has been piled with 6 kids plus at times (and great for napping), even when full you can move around easily, LOTS of storage (get the center tube storage), and when the wind picks up this Benny has no issues cruising over the chop (though Havasu is certainly not one of the Big East Coast Lakes - it can get some nasty white caps that people actually surf). The Q model looses seating due to curved nose and the fiberglass makes it heavier (but looks awesome); the R series had upgrades and certain features I did not need/care for (the helm on the RX has no storage door) - I have a more utilitarian view, I found the Upholstery for the LX model (similar to R) is lovely (vs the S and L models which are not as comfy or plush), the extended deck is great. Skip the arch, get the Double Bimini and Cable Stays - saves $$$'s and keeps the family out of the blazing sun. The Merc has seemed to have less delay/part issues than the Yamaha during COVID - I had no issues getting parts after a fail. My posts will provide a few more details. Note: You probably missed getting anything for this summer - but getting the exact boat you want - worth the wait "Perfect Boat First" - rent until then or get a used one to hold you over. Good Luck!

PS - search for the Bennington Catalog on this site - I did not find until after I purchased - it would have been a huge help! It's a link.

I have a 24’ Bennignton with SPS tritoon hull and a 200HP motor. I have the SB (Swingback layout). Mines a 2017, and they did away with my model designation. Thus, my 2017 is a 24’ SSBXP SPS 200HP Mercury Verado. If it were a current model boat it would be a 24’ LSB SPS 200HP Mercury Verado.

Lots of GREAT advice above. Based on your lake, northern climate, useage, etc, my thoughts are as follows:

(1) Prioritize size, hull and motor/HP first.
(2) Model line and layout second
(3) Important utility features third
(4) Wishlist conveniences last

With this in mind, I’d be thinking the following:

(1) 24’ or longer (leaning 26-28’ range). Good space, layout and with the right hull, capacity for your needs.

(2) One of the following tritoon hulls: SPS, SPS+ or ESP. Each goes up in price and top motor possiblity.
Hull with max HP: SPS 200HP, SPS+ 250 HP, ESP maximum HP you can get

(3) Based on your useage and possible passengers, I recommend MINIMUM 200HP. If you can go 250, 300 or 350 in your budget, all the better for water sports with tons of passengers. You can really do decent water sports with a 150, but due to size of boat and passengers you indicated, I wouldn’t recommend it for you. Go 200+ HP!

* I would be trying to go SPS+ or ESP and a 250 or larger motor initially in your shoes.

(3) For boat model I would focus your attention on an L, LX or R series. They go up in price, built in amnesties, luxury and style from L to LX to R. I think the L or LX might be the sweet spot for your price range depending on length, hull and HP motor you go with. That said, you have enough budget there to get into the R too. I would avoid Q (even though its the nicest line) only because you lose a little seating compared to L though R.

(4) For layout, so many options that appeal to so many tastes. We have the swing back (SB). LOVE IT! Lots of people really like the stern lounge or quad bench. I think the SB gives more seating space than the stern lounge (older CW layout). The quad bench also is appealing to a lot of people, provides lots of seating and keeps little kids and pets coraled better. IF you can go see them in person as many recommend, this would be BEST. We were shopping quad bench layouts until we saw the swingback in person. It just “felt” best for us. You may get that “fits us best” vibe immediately if you can get into a few of them in person as a family or husband and wife team.

(5) MANY posts about utility type features. Some of my top utility options: Dual battery and perko switch, Extended aft deck, and In floor storage. These three would be 100% must haves on ANY Bennington I would get. We have all three with a big family that does water sports. Wouldn’t consider a Bennignton without them.*

(6) Other features = so many I am not thinking of. Many like dual bimini’s, many of us don’t. I am in Michigan. You’re in Maine. You can certainly get away with a single bimini in a northern climate. * We have the electric power Bimini. I wouldn’t get a Bennington without it. Push button bimini up and down - Yes Please!!!

(7) Many people love their sound system upgrades, or various RGB fancy LED lighting. We have a decent enough sound system, but didn’t go all in. We do have a ton of RGB fancy LED lights. Very cool looking and family and friends love them. However, we don’t boat a ton at night, so we could get away without them too. Still neat to have. Cup holder lighting. Interior floor lighting. Speaker lighting. Exterior pontoon lighting. Perhaps rear lighting. Lots of options.

If I think of other thoughts, I will reply later. Wife’s giving me a look as dinner has been ready for a few minutes now. Ha, ha! Happy shopping!!!

Last edited:
I have a 22SSRXP tri-toon with a 150 Yamaha. You are going to want a bigger boat for personnel capacity and definitely a bigger engine for tubing. Bennington calls the layout of mine a “quad” or stern radius, which suits me as I find it better at accommodating a crowd than the L-bench I had on the last boat, and I don’t have any need for dining tables or sun loungers and such. I didn’t need to consider the higher series of boats. They didn’t have any features I wanted that the S series didn’t have, but the electric Bimini mentioned in the previous posts is something I didn’t consider, but now find appealing. My model comes with a fairly large front deck and I got the optional rear deck extension, both of which I much appreciate. Get the biggest gas tank you can get - those big engines are thirsty. I didn’t get the underfloor storage and regret it.

Back