Master power switch

PorscheJeff

Reaction score
I did a search and didn’t find a concise answer to my question about the master power switch. If I hit the master power switch do I need to turn the dual battery switch to the off position when the boat is not in use?

You do not need to kill the dual battery switch if you don't want too. I turn mine off at dual battery switch just eliminate any chance of a dead battery . I also have a battery tender installed that is on when boat is not in use.

Not an electrical expert and have not seen a Bennington wiring diagram, but...

Killing the main battery switch will ensure nothing drains your batteries. Engine will not start and nothing will/should work.

Master power switch at helm kills your accessories, but if the battery switch is "on" your engine will trim and start. Fuel pump and gauges will power up and perhaps some other systems wired prior to the master switch or powered from the alternator on the motor.

My boat has one, but personally don't have a use for it since I always switch off power at the battery.

100% the above two comments. Shut off the battery at the battery switch. There are still open circuits if you just use the helm switch. And as Potomacbassin’ stated, if ANYTHING else is wired prior to the helm master switch, they will still potentiall draw power. Ask me how I know....:D

Use that battery off switch and then you have zero worries.

Actually, they wired the memory for the radio directly to the battery bypassing the switch. Our boat can sit for long periods and the start battery was dead. The house battery was ok and I got the boat started but it killed the start battery. I disconnected the memory wire. We can only get one FM station so I just hit search and it finds it.

Once I get the boat on the water I never turn off the master 1+2 switch. Never had a problem. When I dock I turn off the Helm switch. Of course I'm on a lift next to my house, so if there ever was an issue I'd just need to top off.

Last edited:
I turn them both off when I'm done with the boat for the weekend. I put my cover under the swingback while underway, so I'm in that compartment to get the cover at the end of the day anyway.

100% the above two comments. Shut off the battery at the battery switch. There are still open circuits if you just use the helm switch. And as Potomacbassin’ stated, if ANYTHING else is wired prior to the helm master switch, they will still potentiall draw power. Ask me how I know....:D

Use that battery off switch and then you have zero worries.
I'm new to the Club and have 2 questions.
My new 23 SF has a battery disconnect switch. When off, none of the accessories operate, but the motor still starts. It came that way from Bennington. Looking at some of the replies, there seems to be some disagreement on that...thoughts?

Second, who manufacturers the boar covers for Bennington with the new quick clips?....

Thanks!

I'm new to the Club and have 2 questions.
My new 23 SF has a battery disconnect switch. When off, none of the accessories operate, but the motor still starts. It came that way from Bennington. Looking at some of the replies, there seems to be some disagreement on that...thoughts?

Second, who manufacturers the boar covers for Bennington with the new quick clips?....

Thanks!
1) I think the rigging/wiring for motor and perko switches has changed. I can confirm 100% that originally (2017 SSBXP) when my Perko Switch was turned to off, NOTHING worked - including motor.

HOWEVER, I just got my boat back from the dealership after a years worth of electrical repairs. Main harness, other wiring, Perko switch, batteries, etc….

Now the boat is wired as you describe yours. When my Perko Switch is off, everything BUT the motor is turned off. However, the motor must now be directly wired to batteris because it will start even with Perko Switch turned off. Just discovered this nuance a week ago, and intend to follow up with dealership that did repairs next week when we are back up for the rest of the summer. See why the change…

2) Tumacs is the manufacturer of the boat covers for Bennington. I heard they are not taking any more orders for 2022…Apparently they have been fully booked out for a couple months now. Link below:

Tumacs

1) I think the rigging/wiring for motor and perko switches has changed. I can confirm 100% that originally (2017 SSBXP) when my Perko Switch was turned to off, NOTHING worked - including motor.

HOWEVER, I just got my boat back from the dealership after a years worth of electrical repairs. Main harness, other wiring, Perko switch, batteries, etc….

Now the boat is wired as you describe yours. When my Perko Switch is off, everything BUT the motor is turned off. However, the motor must now be directly wired to batteris because it will start even with Perko Switch turned off. Just discovered this nuance a week ago, and intend to follow up with dealership that did repairs next week when we are back up for the rest of the summer. See why the change…

2) Tumacs is the manufacturer of the boat covers for Bennington. I heard they are not taking any more orders for 2022…Apparently they have been fully booked out for a couple months now. Link below:

Tumacs

That has to be incorrect wiring, Perko (and presumably many switch manufacturers) have their installation instructions online and they still have the starter coming off the COM post, not bypassed. Why even have a three position switch in that case when all it's doing is breaking the house battery? What is the advantage on not having your crank battery on a switch?

Maybe there's a good reason so would be interested what your dealer says!

That has to be incorrect wiring, Perko (and presumably many switch manufacturers) have their installation instructions online and they still have the starter coming off the COM post, not bypassed. Why even have a three position switch in that case when all it's doing is breaking the house battery? What is the advantage on not having your crank battery on a switch?

With you 100% here. Makes no sense to me either.

I was stunned when my motor started but my Perko switch was set to “off”. That said, I discovered it accidentally as I was going to put the boat away and leave to head home. Thus, its a conversation I’ll be having with my dealership this upcoming week when I am back up to our cottage.

Tested mine this weekend - with the Perko off - engine would not start. I should have tested the Trim.....next visit.

I tested mine today . Perko off , no trim ,no start . It will start with the master off.

That has to be incorrect wiring, Perko (and presumably many switch manufacturers) have their installation instructions online and they still have the starter coming off the COM post, not bypassed. Why even have a three position switch in that case when all it's doing is breaking the house battery? What is the advantage on not having your crank battery on a switch
I have seen this scenario before as well. I agree with you guys, that off should be EVERYTHING OFF, including engine. But we all know some mechanics can be a stubborn breed.
Anxious to hear a valid reason for that scenario.

Spoke with the dealership service department about my motor starting, even with perko switch is off, early this week. They confirmed the above: The motor should be wired through the Perko switch. if the switch is off, motor should not start. Ours was simply not wired properly after repairs. :rolleyes:

So many peole worked on my boat at differnt times the past year, they were not sure who or why someone had it direct wired to our start battery. Their guess was one of their tech’s did it while doing repairs and repeat checking something out, but then did not re-wire back through new Perko switch when done.

As for us, they were happy to re-wire it properly into the Perko switch, but also said it wont cause any problems this way, other than perhaps a very slow parasitic draw on that battery.

Since we live at our cottage in the summer, and use the boat regularly, we have no worries on battery draw currently. Instead of getting it into them now, I’ll have them rewire the motor to the Perko switch in the off season.

For RWLightfoot, this seems to confirm your motor should be wired through your Perko switch as well, and should be an easy warranty change up in the off season if you so desire.

Back