Master Switch- delayed power

jslow68

Reaction score
I searched the forum and couldn't find any solutions to my problem. I have a 2012 R22. When I go to turn the master power switch on it is delayed and doesn't turn the accessories on for a minute or two. This has been like this the last 3 seasons since I have owned the boat. Once it's on, it stays on and doesn't cut out. If it did, it would make me think it was a loose connection or ground.
I am wondering if anybody else has had this problem.
Thanks for any input you can give!

The switch at the helm, or at the battery? My Simrad takes a moment to boot up when I hit the helm master switch, but everything else is immediate. My 2011 R22 was immediate when the switch was turned on too.

Maybe a capacitor in-line, or an amp that needs to warm up? I'd definitely peek around under the helm and see if there's anything strange under there.

I’m referring to the master switch at the helm. I looked around but didn’t see anything. I can try looking again.

Assuming you have dual batteries.

Could be a bad house battery. You flip the master switch but due to low voltage nothing works, but after a minute or two the engine alternator charges your house back up to sufficient voltage and things start working.

Easy test would be to switch your start and house and see if that improves things. Other guess would be corrosion so check all contacts (including helm switch) clean and tighten. Last place I would check would be the battery switch, again perhaps some compromised contacts.

Assuming you have dual batteries.

Could be a bad house battery. You flip the master switch but due to low voltage nothing works, but after a minute or two the engine alternator charges your house back up to sufficient voltage and things start working.

Easy test would be to switch your start and house and see if that improves things. Other guess would be corrosion so check all contacts (including helm switch) clean and tighten. Last place I would check would be the battery switch, again perhaps some compromised contacts.
I have just a single battery with a perko switch. I’m gonna test my battery and see if it’s not holding a full charge. I’ll go through the wiring and connections to make sure they are all good also. I think your idea of the battery being low could be the issue.

This is interesting that you posted this issue, I have a 2012 R22 also. This year I replaced the stereo. Soon after I completed the task I noticed that sometimes when I pushed the master switch the Accessory switch would not turn on immediately but the master switch light was on. So I got under the helm and removed master switch to see what type of connection it had to replace it. I took a picture of it, cleaned the terminals and put in back in, haven't had a problem since.

This is interesting that you posted this issue, I have a 2012 R22 also. This year I replaced the stereo. Soon after I completed the task I noticed that sometimes when I pushed the master switch the Accessory switch would not turn on immediately but the master switch light was on. So I got under the helm and removed master switch to see what type of connection it had to replace it. I took a picture of it, cleaned the terminals and put in back in, haven't had a problem since.
That’s exactly what mine does. The master switch light is on but no power to the stereo or any accessories. I guess that where I’m losing power. I’ll clean up the terminals on the switch this weekend. Thanks

I bought a new battery and cleaned the terminals. Still the same issue when I picked it up this week. There is a relay attached to the master switch. I’m going replace the relay next and see what happens.

Attachments

• ECA3F3D5-DF0F-4AB3-A9DD-A7C110FEB36F.jpeg
    ECA3F3D5-DF0F-4AB3-A9DD-A7C110FEB36F.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 24
Nice job jslow!

I had a sticking relay in my low-voltage landscaping timer and had to tear the whole thing apart to find it. Without a good wiring diagram and troubleshooting chart electrical issues are the devil.

Hello, Starting to have the same issue with my 2018 23 RSB. I can rapidly cycle the master switch while holding down the horn button and as soon as the horn sounds i leave it on and then no issues the rest of the day. Would like to know a part number on that relay so I can order one before I go back to the lake.

Hello, Starting to have the same issue with my 2018 23 RSB. I can rapidly cycle the master switch while holding down the horn button and as soon as the horn sounds i leave it on and then no issues the rest of the day. Would like to know a part number on that relay so I can order one before I go back to the lake.
... nevermind.. Just figured out it is a regular 12V power relay. Can get from any automotive store but i opted for a marine version with better coatings on the contacts. Happy boating everyone.

this one will never fail :cool:

I replaced the relay and that was the ticket!
I had a similar issue with my 2019 21SSR, the master switch was where the delay occurred. Once the master switch came on (the delay started as only 30 seconds but was up 5 minutes or more after starting the engine) the accessory switch would then work. I thought low voltage also and replaced my battery, it was right at 12.40 V which anything below that starts to spell trouble. But it did not fix my master switch problem.
I took your advice and replaced the relay and BINGO! Master switch now comes on immediately.
I replaced the zettler relay (the same as the one in your photo) with a Sierra 18-5705D Power Trim Relay from West Marine. You can probably find it cheaper somewhere else, but this was convenient for me to get immediately. Thanks jslow68!

Back