Mooring cover too tight

dmsmitty52

Reaction score
We have a new 2022 20 foot pontoon boat that we can't get the mooring cover on all the way. Whether we start at back or front the last few hooks are about 2 inches away from where they hook. We are on a mooring so can't exit the side door where zipper is. We do have the thicker deluxe upholstery but told would cause problem. Can someone please help?

I'm asking because some do . When do you set your poles, before or after you cover ?

Also…any pictures of your situation. That might help some visualize the issue and trouble shoot the problem with you.

Random guess - but by chance are you putting the cover over the top of the Bimini? I had family up and they "helped" cover our old Benny once, and ended up ripping the cover b/c they didn't know not to cover the bimini and tried to force it.

Cover goes beneath the bimini - see photo for reference:
Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 12.31.06 PM.png

Random guess - but by chance are you putting the cover over the top of the Bimini? I had family up and they "helped" cover our old Benny once, and ended up ripping the cover b/c they didn't know not to cover the bimini and tried to force it.

Cover goes beneath the bimini - see photo for reference:
View attachment 32670
We know. Our 4th bennington. Also poles not set till after cover is on

20 something salesman was able to put it on with much effort. Wr are 70. Also none of our friends cab do it. They are 40 ish

If it's Sunbrella material it likely won't stretch much, but I've read getting it really wet can help and over time it will stretch a little. But then again the internet has been wrong before. If it's a tight fit at least there is hope it will ease up over time.

Maybe ask the dealer to swap it with another if one is available and see if it goes on better. Or have the factory exchange for a new one. It shouldn't require 20 year old arms and joints to get it on, probably most of us owners have some sort of arthritis and joint pain as it is or else we'd be in go-fast bay boats!

What I have noticed is that if I don't tighten it up as I go it is very difficult to get the bow over the seats.

I start at the bimini since it is easy to position. I do the stern and other bimini poles. Then as I move forward I make sure to pull the cover tight forward as I clip it. With 20 or so clips if each one is too far stern by even 1/8 inch you will have a problem at the bow.

With that being said, the covers are handmade, I would think it is very possible for it to be too small. It wouldn't have to be off by too much to make it very difficult.

What I have noticed is that if I don't tighten it up as I go it is very difficult to get the bow over the seats.

I start at the bimini since it is easy to position. I do the stern and other bimini poles. Then as I move forward I make sure to pull the cover tight forward as I clip it. With 20 or so clips if each one is too far stern by even 1/8 inch you will have a problem at the bow.

With that being said, the covers are handmade, I would think it is very possible for it to be too small. It wouldn't have to be off by too much to make it very difficult.
That's a good point - if you dont slide the clips forward or aft as you go (depending on which direction you start) you wont have the necessary slack at the end.

On option is to check seat height. Depending on model, high back co-Captain chair recline position will make a difference. I have a 2019 22GSR and it is also very tight, almost to the point of not having much slope for the water to rain off. Not sure why, you can’t use it when trailering, and if it isn’t almost perfect, you can get puddles. Neighbor has premier pontoon and his is much higher and easier. I have even noticed differences between Bennington models.

Good day, We had a 2021 SX20' and found the helm chair had to be reclined- we now have a 2022 20LSR as our 2021 was destroyed in a fire- and it has 2 chairs- both of which need to be reclined- and we have to depresss the top of the couches (ours are pillow top also) to hook the top tabs and release them.

Even if you can't secure a few clips, I don't think it's a big deal. I would just try to space them apart.

I’ve never been able to secure all our clips. I’d say I do maybe half of them on both sides tops. Reclining the chairs is a good idea too.

We've only put our cover on two times so far, but it has gone relatively smoothly - largely thanks to the other posts and tips people on this forum have posted on how to cover and uncover.

We do all of our clips, then I crawl through the back and put up the poles, crawl back out and snap the buttons across the back (we have the fastback model). It is snug but not too difficult. The only issue we have found is the corner of the glass windshield pushes out significantly where it meets the cover.. looks like this could easily wear a hole so may end up putting some foam around it when I do the cover.

Another tip we use. We leave the poles set for height and marked with magic marker -also numbered from 1 (Bow) to 4 (Stern). we put cover on from the rear and install poles as we go- finishing at the bow. Don't put the bow pole in until the cover is in place (tight fit going around front couch backs) and then finishing the clipping process. It all takes about 5-6 minutes and we are 71/69 respectively. Well worth it to put cover on with pollen, flies, and spiders.

I took our boat in for service, when I picked it up it was covered, but I didn't notice the poles werent up. My bad, I travled 50 miles with the cover flapping. It now fits much looser. The poles will take up the slack, but they have to be adjusted higher than they were before. Not suggesting you do this, just telling what happened to mine.

I took our boat in for service, when I picked it up it was covered, but I didn't notice the poles werent up. My bad, I travled 50 miles with the cover flapping. It now fits much looser. The poles will take up the slack, but they have to be adjusted higher than they were before. Not suggesting you do this, just telling what happened to mine.
Your dealer should have told you to never travel with your mooring cover in place. They're not designed for trailering and will likely be damaged - and damage due to trailering with a mooring cover is NOT covered under warranty. It's a bummer, especially if you travel to your favorite boating location. Also worth noting, if you have a swingback you'll probably need to remove part of the seat for trailering (the port/stern corner where you access your batteries).

My 2011 had a cover that went all the way down to the decking on the bow (probably a bit better for running on the trailer, and I towed it short distances under 40mph to winterize with no issues), but the 2021 just clips on just under the rails.

If you do plan to trailer often and want to cover, you'll want to look into a travel cover. To my knowledge you can't buy one from Bennington - you'll need to get one aftermarket.

Interesting, because our dealer said that I could travel with the cover on (and posts up) but to keep the speed below 50mph or so. I have done that a few times and luckily no damage. I will ask them again this summer to verify or not.

Back