Nav Lights - No One Knows?

Captmisket

Reaction score
Both nav lights out. Anyone know if the lights are a whole unit? Took the screws off the sides and the whole light unit came up slightly. I can’t just replace a bulb? My boat is on a lift. Need to know if I need to take to marina to be replaced or I can do myself. Not an issue at the panel. Thanks

Sounds like a fuse to me, but more details and pics would help. You can test with a multimeter if you have access to one, but since the nav lights are on opposite sides of the boat it would be highly unlikely that they're both out.

You seem certain it’s not up at the helm in the switch or fuse.
I would go out to the light on each side and test for power there. obviously if there’s power then it is the bulb itself. I have had bulbs on both sides go bad nearly the same time. If there’s no power there and obviously it is a problem in the wiring from helm to bulb. I would surely try that myself prior to sending it to the dealer if it is costly for time or money.
I am not familiar with the nav lights you have but can tell you on a sweet water I own the light housings were very difficult to take apart to replace them bulb. If they go bad again I will just be replacing the entire light assembly as they are not very expensive.

Sounds like a fuse to me, but more details and pics would help. You can test with a multimeter if you have access to one, but since the nav lights are on opposite sides of the boat it would be highly unlikely that they're both out.
Not a fuse we checked the panel.

You seem certain it’s not up at the helm in the switch or fuse.
I would go out to the light on each side and test for power there. obviously if there’s power then it is the bulb itself. I have had bulbs on both sides go bad nearly the same time. If there’s no power there and obviously it is a problem in the wiring from helm to bulb. I would surely try that myself prior to sending it to the dealer if it is costly for time or money.
I am not familiar with the nav lights you have but can tell you on a sweet water I own the light housings were very difficult to take apart to replace them bulb. If they go bad again I will just be replacing the entire light assembly as they are not very expensive.
I tried to open the housing and I couldn’t. So I thought today maybe you replace the whole housing. I replaced a ton of bulbs on older boats easily but this seems different

Do a search in his forum for past posts on this topic (box in the upper right hand side at the top of the page). There have been a couple posts over the last few years on changing the light bulbs. From what I remember reading its a bit of a process if you don’t know what to do because there is some nuance to it, but otherwise doable once you know the process.

Back