Navigation Lights

wallacemag

Reaction score
I have a new to me Bennington 20 pontoon. The navigation lights don't work but all other electrical does. Having problems finding any information on how to change the lights or locate the fuse box. Anyone know?

Do you have a picture of your lights? With both out, my first guess would be the fuse.

Does your stern light work? I have the plastic bow lights which are quite easy to replace but I’ve heard that the chrome lights like yours are more difficult. However, I doubt they’re both burned out. I imagine you reset the fuse under the switch on the helm, correct?

Yes did the reset. Thought maybe there was a fuse box somewhere I needed to check. I’m being told if it is the light, have to change whole assembly.

Was the warranty transfered when you purchased? 2020 would still be under warranty if the warranty was transferred.

Yes it did. Hadn’t even thought about that since thought it was just the lights burned out or fuse blown. Didn’t think a warranty covered that.

2014 has a 7 year warranty

Did you swap the connector under there to the docking lights to see if those are working? I recently had one of my navigation lights burn out and unfortunately that led module isn’t made any longer. I did a work around and it works great now. I did a post on it

Did you swap the connector under there to the docking lights to see if those are working? I recently had one of my navigation lights burn out and unfortunately that led module isn’t made any longer. I did a work around and it works great now. I did a post on it
Where is the connector? Under where?

Well that's bad timing for us! Maybe Bennington will feel generous.
Warranty would have expired 7 years to the date in the month and year that it was originally purchased. It’s almost certainly OVER a year off warranty at this point due to production and purchase cycles.

The warranty would have had to been transferred also.

Under the deck under the light there are two electrical circuits feeding that housing. One for the nav light, and another for the led docking lights. They are interchangeable so unplug and swap to see if the nav light turns on with the docking light switch on. The photo below shows the two plugs. You can see where I added a green led behind the old housing to replace mine that burned out.

Attachments

• 55743EF9-E9EB-42D7-B6C2-CBC9007CDA36.jpeg
    55743EF9-E9EB-42D7-B6C2-CBC9007CDA36.jpeg
    166.9 KB · Views: 38
Since nobody else asked, I'll ask the dumb question - are you pushing the switch forward/up to activate nav+anc, vs just pushing backward/down to activate only the anchor light?

Otherwise I'd use a voltage tester at the bow to make sure you're getting power to the lights. Good luck :)

The circuit breaker should be the only circuit protection on the navigation light. I didn't see an answer to the question of whether the anchor\stern light was working. If it is, then the circuit is getting power and its not a fuse, breaker or switch problem. The next thing to check is if there is power at the under deck connector that lakeliving has pictured. Easiest way to check is with a volt meter, but if you dont have one, the way he described works also. Both of my nav lights on my 2014 corroded and quit working as early as 2019. Both have now been replaced with LED's. I have the plastic housing not SS, but I just took the housing apart to get to the wiring and screws for the nav light.

Since nobody else asked, I'll ask the dumb question - are you pushing the switch forward/up to activate nav+anc, vs just pushing backward/down to activate only the anchor light?

Otherwise I'd use a voltage tester at the bow to make sure you're getting power to the lights. Good luck :)
Yes the switch is on.

Does your stern light work? I have the plastic bow lights which are quite easy to replace but I’ve heard that the chrome lights like yours are more difficult. However, I doubt they’re both burned out. I imagine you reset the fuse under the switch on the helm, correct?
Stern light works.

Boat is on lake during boating season so can’t get under docking lights until taken out in the fall.

Back