Newbie Needs Help With Basics

JBart4

Reaction score
I am brand new to boating and just purchased a 2023 Bennington 22SXSR. The fendors that came with boat have hooks that go over rails. I'm trying to figure best knot to secure and be able to adjust height quickly. All videos I find show rope going around rail. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I am brand new to boating and just purchased a 2023 Bennington 22SXSR. The fendors that came with boat have hooks that go over rails. I'm trying to figure best knot to secure and be able to adjust height quickly. All videos I find show rope going around rail. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to sound dense... but, why are you thinking you need to adjust the height of the fenders frequently?

I set mine up when i got the boat, and have never changed the height. Maybe I'm doing it wrong though! ;)

Sorry to sound dense... but, why are you thinking you need to adjust the height of the fenders frequently?

I set mine up when i got the boat, and have never changed the height. Maybe I'm doing it wrong though! ;)
Probably for parking next to other boats in slips and at sandbars. I'm constantly adjusting mine when we're out at all-day floaters. Life would be so much easier if we all just had pontoons! :cool:

Thank you for the suggestion!
If you are not familiar with that product..... Once you install on your boat you can easily adjust the length of the rope by loosening the thumb screw and pulling the rope whichever way you want and then tighten the screw again. Very well made and simple!

Probably for parking next to other boats in slips and at sandbars. I'm constantly adjusting mine when we're out at all-day floaters. Life would be so much easier if we all just had pontoons! :cool:

lol, pontoons not welcome at my tie ups! :cool: j/k we welcome anyone that isn't being a jerk! my lake is about 90% pontoons though...

Probably for parking next to other boats in slips and at sandbars. I'm constantly adjusting mine when we're out at all-day floaters. Life would be so much easier if we all just had

We were originally taking the fenders off after leaving docks. Do folks typically leave them hooked/tied on? I didn’t know if it was okay to cruise around with them still in position, bring them inside boat (they seem to get in the way), or take them off and hook them back on when needed. Thank you!

Also…I was in water yesterday and I experienced a beeping sound (appeared to be some type of alarm) when I turned the key on. It happened 3 times then didn’t happen again. Any thoughts on this? I also then realized that I never received a user manual for my new boat. I assume there is one online somewhere for my particular make/model?

Also…I was in water yesterday and I experienced a beeping sound (appeared to be some type of alarm) when I turned the key on. It happened 3 times then didn’t happen again. Any thoughts on this? I also then realized that I never received a user manual for my new boat. I assume there is one online somewhere for my particular make/model?
The owners manual are generic ,here is the link .

Make sure you have water flow from your outboard’s cooling system…. There should be a “pee hole” that streams water out of the engine while it runs. If not you may be hearing the overheat alarm for you engine.

You might look for a local experienced boater to take you out - access to a decade of experience for a couple of hours would be windfall of knowledge, and most likely they would be happy to do it! Look for a local newspaper, ask at the docks, put notes on docked TriToons, look for Facebook User Group for that lake. Of course reading all the posts here the FaceBook Bennington page helped me immensely (old time boater, new TriToon user) was a huge boost.

Couple things:

(1) Sounds like a motor issue with the alarm. There are a number of issues that can set off a motor alarm: oil pressure, overheating alarm, water/fuel separator alarm, low voltage, etc… If you are getting an alarm, and it isn’t something you easily find and diagnose, AND if you don’t have a digital display that shows alarm code you can look up, you’ll need to get it in and figured out. If there is an alarm, there is a code being thrown off for it, but it may need to get diagnosed at the nearest dealership service center. Personally, I would not use the boat at all if it’s giving an alarm. Motor repairs and replacement are expensive and not worth the risk.

(2). We take our fenders off, and don't leave them dangling when boating. Otherwise they get splashed and banged around, especially when doing water sports. Further, we occasionally need to adjust their placement and height for different reasons seasonally.

Instead of the EZFenders, which are great, we just use Taylor Made clip with the fender and rope. They pop on and off the rails quickly and easily. We store the fenders in one of two spots depending on what we’re doing on the water. We normally just put them in the flip up seat backs for our port side benches (the taller side bench flip up portion. If we have big crowd on board, we just drop them in our in floor floor storage. I personally lIke the Taylor Made Fender clips because they are versatile and cheap. Link below:

Taylor Made Fender Clips 4pk

Boating safety classes are available online .

What motor. You should be able to get a motor manual on line and it should have info on alarms.

Back