No drill 4 rod holder horizontal storage

Dawns benny

Reaction score
I have a 2018 20 ft benny fishing pontoon with a 90hp yamaha 4 stroke with the 4 fishing chairs. I need a horizontal rod holder to store rods. I'm not drilling into side of my boat. Surely there is a velcro type holder that holds about 4 rods and sticks on rather than screw on.  Help

I did not see much out there.  You may have to use screws, or try your own version of Velcro.  You can buy it by the roll with adhesive backing.

On our last Benny we ordered the 4 rod holder, there was no good space to mount it and the dealer bought it back from us. I just lay the rods down in the back of the boat and make sure the reel is in the pocket between the ladder and the tow bar.  Haven't had an issue

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Scotty-Pontoon-Rod-Holder/1571319.uts

Try these. I got mine from Amazon a bit cheaper. I have 5 of them and ordered an extra base for each one. The rod holders get placed where you want for fishing and the extra bases were put in a row along the back railing to use as vertical rod storage. All that I need to do is pull one off the back and place it in the base next to whichever seat im going to fish from. When covering the boat the bases are fine but I have to remove the holders and poles and lay them on the floor...

We found one of those scotty mounts in our lake recently. I have the piece that holds the rod but not the mount and nut. I should look into something like this for trolling.

Thank u guys for the input but I'm not looking for a vertical rod holder or holders. I have that, what I'm looking for is a horizontal holder so that I don't have to lay my rods on the floor. I want to put a holder behind the driver seat all the way to in front of the back swim gate, but i don't want to drill holes! Preferably a strong stick on type rod holder.

Well Dawn, you might as well drill.  I wanted a second table, had to drill, post for grill, had to drill.  It is after all a fishing boat, might as well make it permanent and do it right.   

Thank u guys for the input but I'm not looking for a vertical rod holder or holders. I have that, what I'm looking for is a horizontal holder so that I don't have to lay my rods on the floor. I want to put a holder behind the driver seat all the way to in front of the back swim gate, but i don't want to drill holes! Preferably a strong stick on type rod holder.

Be careful before you drill to allow for the bimini to move up and down. That's why we were unable to find a place on ours for one to go on the inside. I too wanted it behind the helm chair but it wasn't feasible with the top.

Did you ever find a horizontal mount? I have one attached with two sided tape but don't have much faith in the adhesion. It's only been a week and it hasn't fallen yet though. I couldn't see spending near $1000.00 for the Bennington option.

Did you ever find a horizontal mount? I have one attached with two sided tape but don't have much faith in the adhesion. It's only been a week and it hasn't fallen yet though. I couldn't see spending near $1000.00 for the Bennington option.
No but i am trying out velcro... i attach it to the railing behind the drivers chair in diff spots for longer rod. I tried to figure a way to use a wreath holder that adjust but could only do 1 rod with that. Looks like someone would have made something to hold rods horizontally for pontoons, a no drill attachment.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Scotty-Pontoon-Rod-Holder/1571319.uts

Try these. I got mine from Amazon a bit cheaper. I have 5 of them and ordered an extra base for each one. The rod holders get placed where you want for fishing and the extra bases were put in a row along the back railing to use as vertical rod storage. All that I need to do is pull one off the back and place it in the base next to whichever seat im going to fish from. When covering the boat the bases are fine but I have to remove the holders and poles and lay them on the floor...

How do those work exactly? It looks like the screws go underneath the rails? Unfortunately I don't have any "open" rails on mine, the fence comes all the way to the top rail all the way around, except on the gates of course. So to mount them on the sides, I would have to drill through the fence I guess. Frankly, I would rather drill into the rails I think.

If I can find these white brackets in stainless, I'll mount them permanently. I don't mind drilling a few holes in the boat as you can see from the rod holders I installed. IMG_6426.JPG IMG_6427.JPG IMG_6429.JPG IMG_6434.JPG IMG_6435.JPG IMG_6438.JPG

I know it’s been a while since you posted this but did you ever find or make something that looks good and works??

Seems like it would be easy to design one made out of PVC that would temporary slip over one of the railings. It would be vertical though.
Vertical is very easy to find. But a rod and reel sticking up 7’6” traveling on the roads might not be a good idea. Lol. But a horizontal behind the captain chair that’s hidden and out of the way would work great. I’ve found a few holders in that are flat on the back and wide enough that Velcro should hold it in place for 4 -6 rods. Guess I’ll try it out and hope it works. It’s got to have foam or rubber to insert the rod into so not to damage the rods when traveling and something else behind the reels to keep them from damaging the side of pontoon wall.

Something like this mounted with automotive adhesive tape might work:

View attachment 31433
That’s one of the two I found. Not sure how well either of the them-will hold up. Hoping to find one that has better quality. I really appreciate you looking and finding this one. We’ll it looks like the one I found cost about $14.

Back