Replacing carpet

Scotts180

Reaction score
Hi All
im in the process of replacing the carpet on my 2006 2275GL. I have removed everything from the deck and have the side bumper/deck trim all loose and ready to come off. However, the front decking trim will not loosen. Cant seem to find anything obvious holding it in place. Would Bennington possible have glued the trim in place? Anyone else removed the front trim?
Thanks
scott

Hi Scott! Wow, hats off to you as that is a big project. I can't answer your question but perhaps someone else on this board might be able to. Otherwise, maybe send an email directly to Bennington. Are you going with vinyl this time around? How about posting before/after pictures!

I talked to my Dealer about the carpet on our 2008 boat. I said it is glued down and almost impossible to remove the glue. His comment was it would be cheaper (manhours) to replace the plywood decking. I decided to love the old carpet. Jill wanted to do the $100,000 option. Replace the carpet with a new boat!

Hi All
im in the process of replacing the carpet on my 2006 2275GL. I have removed everything from the deck and have the side bumper/deck trim all loose and ready to come off. However, the front decking trim will not loosen. Cant seem to find anything obvious holding it in place. Would Bennington possible have glued the trim in place? Anyone else removed the front trim?
Thanks
scott
Thanks to all that replied. Yes I found four pop rivets on the back side. I ground off the tails and thought that would be it! Nope, they do have to be drilled from the back side. Once Idid that it came right off. Now ready for the big job of removing the old carpet. Will be replacing it with Marideck Marine Vinyl. Will post pictures.

Thanks to all that replied. Yes I found four pop rivets on the back side. I ground off the tails and thought that would be it! Nope, they do have to be drilled from the back side. Once Idid that it came right off. Now ready for the big job of removing the old carpet. Will be replacing it with Marideck Marine Vinyl. Will post pictures.
Removing the carpet was not fun, I used a painters tool called a 5 in 1 and just took my time. Lengthy process

Maybe my old age is showing but I don’t only not mind the carpet, I like it. Soft and not hot on my bare feet. And my 2012 carpet still looks pretty new

All the glue has got be gone from the plywood. If not you will feel it and see it in the vinyl. My dealer said that when you sand the glue it melts and fills the sanding disc. Just an FYI. For a warranty repair, they replace the decking.

I talked to my Dealer about the carpet on our 2008 boat. I said it is glued down and almost impossible to remove the glue. His comment was it would be cheaper (manhours) to replace the plywood decking. I decided to love the old carpet. Jill wanted to do the $100,000 option. Replace the carpet with a new boat!
Hi
At age 72 I was not looking forward to removing the carpet. However, after replacing all the fence panels and upholstery, the boat would look horrible. The carpet looked so bad. Anyway, i went ahead with it. It was a big job and took several hours to get the carpet off. It was so full of sand, unseen, that the boat will probably gain a couple of mph. (Kidding). Next i rented an orbital floor sander and four hours later i had all the glue removed down to bare wood. Im ready to apply external spackling to the imperfections in the deck and have ordered the vinyl decking from Marideck. Would I do it again, definitely yes. When I’m done it will, hopefully, look like a new Bennington.

I can’t wait to see pictures of the finished produce once you are all done with it. I am totally impressed with your boat renovation.

Maybe my old age is showing but I don’t only not mind the carpet, I like it. Soft and not hot on my bare feet. And my 2012 carpet still looks pretty new
I used to love our carpet too Link although it did get hot at times. Our carpet looked new after 12 years because I used to apply Starbrite waterproofing spray. The water used to bead up and run off like a just waxed car!

Hi
At age 72 I was not looking forward to removing the carpet. However, after replacing all the fence panels and upholstery, the boat would look horrible. The carpet looked so bad. Anyway, i went ahead with it. It was a big job and took several hours to get the carpet off. It was so full of sand, unseen, that the boat will probably gain a couple of mph. (Kidding). Next i rented an orbital floor sander and four hours later i had all the glue removed down to bare wood. Im ready to apply external spackling to the imperfections in the deck and have ordered the vinyl decking from Marideck. Would I do it again, definitely yes. When I’m done it will, hopefully, look like a new Bennington.
finishing up mine tonight weather permitting ,

Yes , I purchased mine from a company in Georgia for 29.00 per foot , woven Vinyl looks like teak . Started raining so wont get to finish tonight .
I will post pics when done

That's gonna look fantastic!

Got my Marideck vinyl on today. Tomorrow, reinstallation of console, seats and railing starts.
Oh man I'd be so tempted to just put the console back on and run it around like that for a while!

Oh man I'd be so tempted to just put the console back on and run it around like that for a while!
Yes I’ve thought about that also. But being in NH the ice just went out so I have a few weeks before putting it in the water. That will give time to finish it up. Evrything else is done1A56F389-7334-4434-B239-6CC855B1506B.jpeg

Back